The Koreans are starting to look "scary" good....

Ovaltine

Is it a cross over or a real SUV like the 1st Sorento?

I think it is now a "cross over", due to the fact they've moved it over to a unitized body. I'd bet that it and the Hyundai Santa Fe may share a little DNA now.

Isn't the Explorer scheduled for a move over to unitized construction in the next couple of years?

-Ovaltine

An improvement, for sure, but nothing I would consider "scary good."

Hate the grille.

It looks decently good, but I think I'd have to agree, it's not "scary" good....see below for my thoughts on the design.

I think it is now a "cross over", due to the fact they've moved it over to a unitized body. I'd bet that it and the Hyundai Santa Fe may share a little DNA now.

Isn't the Explorer scheduled for a move over to unitized construction in the next couple of years?

-Ovaltine

I see a bit of Santa Fe in the front end. And yes, Explorer will be a D3 unibody in the next year or so.

Handsome vehicle...I see some Saab in the frontend.

I see Santa Fe, and Lexus RX (new model). Actually, the front and side look RX to me, especially with that heavy crease in the side, again, similar to the RX.

That 98% of current Explorer owners won't notice...

Just like nobody has noticed the Borrego......I'd completely forgotten about that thing until I saw my second one EVER a few weeks ago.

I guess nobody notices the Honda Pilot, Ford Edge, or Toyota Highlander either. After all, they are FWD-based unit body too.

Fine, but wouldn't the Edge, Flex, and now Explorer seem redundant?

To me, it seems like with those three, Ford would be going the path of Patriot, Compass, Nitro, and Caliber.

Edited by RangerM

Fine, but wouldn't the Edge, Flex, and now Explorer seem redundant?

To me, it seems like with those three, Ford would be going the path of Patriot, Compass, Nitro, and Caliber.

They are three distinctively different vehicles. A family of 6 wouldn't look at the Edge. A family looking for more utility would look at the Explorer. A family looking for something sportier would choose the Edge. Choice is a good thing, especially when offered on vehicle architectures that don't cost a fortune due to their being shared. Now would it be a problem if the Edge, Flex, and Explorer all used unique platforms and powertrains? Yes.

I think the Explorer is still going to maintain much of its "SUV-ness" whereas the other crossovers in Ford's midsize lineup are all distinctively more car-like.

And well...the Patriot, Compass, Nitro, and Caliber probably would be doing a lot better if they weren't such crappy vehicles. :lol:

Edited by NickF1011

I think the Explorer is still going to maintain much of its "SUV-ness" whereas the other crossovers in Ford's midsize lineup are all distinctively more car-like.

I suppose so long as Ford keeps making the Expedition, they will still have a truck-based family hauler.

I wish Ford the best in their endeavor, however I don't see how a front-wheel drive crossover is going to maintain it's SUV-ness. Not saying it can't look like one, but then IMO it just becomes poser.

My wife decided on a Highlander when she said she had to have an SUV, but I've never once thought of it as anything more than a jacked-up Camry stationwagon. I would have bought a Freestyle/Taurus X if I could have. (Still a SW, but I think I could have slid that past her)

Edited by RangerM

I wish Ford the best in their endeavor, however I don't see how a front-wheel drive crossover is going to maintain it's SUV-ness. Not saying it can't look like one, but then IMO it just becomes poser.

Let's not kid ourselves. The Explorer has been a poser for well over a decade already. They are hardly seriously offroad-worthy vehicles by any stretch.

I think you guys are all missing Ovaltines point....kia is being PRO-active with their lineup...which is getting stronger with each and every release....the ONLY other mainstream manufacturer doing the same is Ford.....Toyota, GM, Chrysler honda, Subaru...you name it....have shown NOTHING new worth a crap.....

I think you guys are all missing Ovaltines point....kia is being PRO-active with their lineup...which is getting stronger with each and every release....the ONLY other mainstream manufacturer doing the same is Ford.....Toyota, GM, Chrysler honda, Subaru...you name it....have shown NOTHING new worth a crap.....

Well, very few automakers really have as much room to improve as Kia, so their betterment in recent years is more noticable by comparison. I wouldn't say Toyota's, Subaru's, Honda's, or anyone else's products have gotten any worse. In fact, they've all still mostly gotten better with each new model. They just aren't improving by the leaps and bounds that the worse-off brands are capable of.

Well, very few automakers really have as much room to improve as Kia, so their betterment in recent years is more noticable by comparison. I wouldn't say Toyota's, Subaru's, Honda's, or anyone else's products have gotten any worse. In fact, they've all still mostly gotten better with each new model. They just aren't improving by the leaps and bounds that the worse-off brands are capable of.

Oh, I agree but missed my point....NO NEW product of any real significance........oh...and we sold out of Transit Connects....... ( should I share that we sold all two of them or leave Nick frowning in confusion....LOL )

Edited by Deanh

Oh, I agree but missed my point....NO NEW product of any real significance........oh...and we sold out of Transit Connects....... ( should I share that we sold all two of them or leave Nick frowning in confusion....LOL )

Most automakers don't launch many new "product of significance" because they already launched those vehicles years ago. All you're going to get for the most part now is updates.

As for the TC.... :rolleyes: