Hyundai edges out Ford to take fourth place in global sales

LoveTaurus

Mulally has made no secret that Ford's US production will be cut until its right-sized and profitable.

Now that has happened, Ford can start to regrow its business once the economy begins recovering.

Edited by jpd80

Mulally has made no secret that Ford's US production will be cut until its right-sized and profitable.

Now that has happened, Ford can start to regrow its business once the economy begins recovering.

They already have sort of, with increasing NA production for Q3.

I didn't trust these numbers. Ford down 33% while GM down 22%? Just don't sound right.

I check and I guess they are right.

It turns out that both GM, VW and likely others are making huge sales gains in China. I am not sure what that is worth. They use a lot of Chinese supplied parts and have to share profits with their Chinese partners.

Ultimately sales in China will depend on product. Ford will have the products for China soon.

Well if all the cars hyundai makes are as worthless and junky as the '10 Sonata rental I have right now then NO ONE needs to worry about Hyundai being #1. Poor car can't get out of its own way, Has the most tupperware interior of ANY car I have seen (and I own a cobalt) and the trans feels like it is never in the right gear. BLAH. Wish they had given me the malibu they had sitting outside.

Well if all the cars hyundai makes are as worthless and junky as the '10 Sonata rental I have right now then NO ONE needs to worry about Hyundai being #1. Poor car can't get out of its own way, Has the most tupperware interior of ANY car I have seen (and I own a cobalt) and the trans feels like it is never in the right gear. BLAH. Wish they had given me the malibu they had sitting outside.

I feel this is a biased post. THERE ISN'T ANY INTERIOR WORSE THAN A COBALT!

Last 2 times I was at Hertz, they wanted to pawn off to me substandard vehicles...she asks me "We have a Sonata waiting for you" I turn to her "your kidding me right? I value my life"... Then she kept looking into the computer and just couldnt find anything else to give me, so I started with my diatribe about supporting America, Korean crap, safety, "do you really picture me in that shitbox" and suddenly she was able to pull out a Volvo S60 for no additional cost :) They are always so nice to me. And the lady behind me was quite amused and tells me she too wants to use my line to get an upgrade....

Last 2 times I was at Hertz, they wanted to pawn off to me substandard vehicles...she asks me "We have a Sonata waiting for you" I turn to her "your kidding me right? I value my life"... Then she kept looking into the computer and just couldnt find anything else to give me, so I started with my diatribe about supporting America, Korean crap, safety, "do you really picture me in that shitbox" and suddenly she was able to pull out a Volvo S60 for no additional cost :) They are always so nice to me. And the lady behind me was quite amused and tells me she too wants to use my line to get an upgrade....

You have some interesting points, but let's look closer.

According to safercar.gov, the Sonata is safer than the Volvo S60.

And as far as supporting Americans, the Sonata is built in the USA by Americans, the Volvo is imported and built in Belgium.

And as far as supporting Americans, the Sonata is built in the USA by Americans, the Volvo is imported and built in Belgium.

:rolleyes: That wasn't the point.

Zing!

Ignoring Hyundai not wise. Their products (and sales) are increasing at a very rapid rate.

I don't think anyone is really ignoring Hyundai, but it would be somewhat foolish to abandon a product plan that seems to be working (as Ford's is) because you are worried about what is coming up behind you in the rearview.

I don't think anyone is really ignoring Hyundai, but it would be somewhat foolish to abandon a product plan that seems to be working (as Ford's is) because you are worried about what is coming up behind you in the rearview.

Exactly! You have to have a "laser focus" (queue rmc) on your goals and the road ahead, not what others are doing. If you shoot to keep up with one automaker, the rest will pass you up, so you have to concentrate on being the best you can be! If you do that, everything else will fall in line nicely.

Exactly! You have to have a "laser focus" (queue rmc) on your goals and the road ahead, not what others are doing. If you shoot to keep up with one automaker, the rest will pass you up, so you have to concentrate on being the best you can be! If you do that, everything else will fall in line nicely.

Since you asked:

laserfocus.jpg