Ford To Cops: CV is Out

Good riddance. I hope they don't even keep a third of it. It is a low volume, low profit field to be in.

I agree.

fordtech1 wonders about the MK S for limo duty. How I hope that nobody does that to it. Leave the stretch limo business to the Chrysler 300. Limo's are now just longer taxis with better interiors and coach lights, available to any jerk with $75 or so to rent for a couple of hours. The point is, limo's lend no lustre to the Lincoln marque, from the point of view of the retail customer-owner, and those that are impressed probably will never own a Lincoln.

IMHO, the faster Lincoln can get out of the limo market, the better, unless they keep the TC precisely for that task.

My 2¢

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't ever want to see this anywhere on the roads in this country.

Italy%20Smart.jpg

Eh, just go around a corner quickly, it'll flip, you'll lose it. :lol:

You guys realize a lot of them are not even guilty of wrongdoing, right? Hence the term 'suspects.' Going further, a lot of witnesses and non-suspects are still taken in for questioning.

Yeah, I thought of that too, but still said what I said.

I still hope a next-gen CV would emerge, even if very different from today's CV. I don't think the Taurus should be undercut by fleet sales. I'd prefer a modified Taurus with a different name than just using the Taurus outright.

Tada!!!!

crownvic2.jpg

I wonder what will happen to the Limousine business.... I drove a limo part time for a while. I enjoyed it and most of the veteran limo drivers prefered the TC to the deville 4 to 1. The guys I talked to said that the TC was alot more dependable and got alot of miles before major work.

Plus, I always thought the TC looked much better as a limo than a Deville. I have seen a few 300c limos and ofcourse suv limos are big. I wonder if a stretched MKS would hold up and/or look good?

Others have mentioned perhaps MKT could fill the gap somewhat...

Edited by rmc523

The Expedition is generally not well received by PDs. The officers/agents that drive them don't like them and the fleet managers seem to believe that they have higher operating costs.

Not really interested in what they believe ...more interested in cold hard data. Are they more expensive to operate than a comparable Tahoe and why?

The RevoKnuckle uses the same mounting points as a strut suspension. It's 'plug n play'.

However, it doesn't look suitable for severe service use.

So a 300 hp Focus RS with a manual, limited slip transaxle being driven in anger is not considered "severe service"?

We're forgetting something,

policefalcon.jpg

Not totally.

Interesting how the article stress that while Ford is leaning heavily toward Taurus, it's keeping its options open in the post-CV area. Well, if it's not CV and it's not Taurus then it's gotta be something they don't currently sell in the US.

Not easy, though. To make any kind of economic sense they'd need to put a line in North America with NA suppliers. Is there the money to do this? Other fleet sales like livery, government fleets, etc could help that case, and would prevent the "renter" label being put on Taurus, which they seem keen to avoid.

Edited by Moosetang

Isn't the real issue to kill the CV is the new CAFE goal? The CV's underpowered and drinks too much. Also thought I'd mention that SUV's appear to be too top heavy for good highway handling. High center of gravity also bad news for fuel mileage. The Taurus PI sounds like a real dream. When you think about it, law enforcement needs HD machinery. The Charger LOOKS good in a black and white livery, but there are so many Fords in the line of duty, would the gubmint kick in something to help them with a new design?

The time line would suggest that a future police vehicle might be on the future CD4 FWD/AWD platform,

a platform capable of supporting D and E size cars not unlike GM Epsilon II and offering even further

economies of scale. Perhaps this is what Ford is waiting for - time to develop the platform and cars.

It may be a bit of a reach but it seems to fit and could mean that Ford has an affordable vehicle

that's relatively light, durable, economical/green (EB I-4?) and cost effective.

Edited by jpd80

Using the Taurus as the next police cruiser would, IMHO, be a mistake.

Civilian version resale prices would drop. Customer perception would diminish. Same thing that happened to the Crown Vic.

Please, Ford. Do not kill the Taurus by adding a police cruiser. Let another auto company take over providing a vehicle before you do this.

Bingo. You get it.

Would someone want a Taurus if the cops (AND taxis!) had one too? The cool factor sinks immediately as you would be associated with the police. No disrespect to the men and women in blue, but people looking at the Taurus would not want the added image of being connected to "The Man".

What MIGHT be okay is if they took the Taurus SHO, changed the name and design and made it the Interceptor (or something similar to that). As long as the public does not connect one thing to the other, all should be well.

If the car is a hit and they can make it RWD, why not also sell it -- under the new name -- to the public as the Interceptor.

Or-- hell, could the Explorer be a RWD Taurus derivative we don't know about?

Edited by Roadrunner

Cue Armada Master in 5...4...3...2...

174723orly.gif

Alrighty then.......:hysterical:

About 85 percent of the approximately 75,000 police cars sold in the United States each year are Crown Vics.
That is not a huge number of vehicles, and margins on sales to public agencies are notoriously slim, but analysts say it is still a profitable business for Ford.

^^That needs to be quoted for posterity. :cheerleader:

"They also have zero marketing cost."

:redcard:

As I stated before, the replacement to the stupidity that is the cancellation of the Panther platform will not be the D3 Taurus. The Panther's replacements will be a mix of Chargers and Tahoes, with the Wimpala and Taurus picking up the scraps.

Anyone else notice this?:

"We've got some big decisions to make, and we're making them," said Jim Farley, head of global sales, marketing and service for Ford. "We have no intention of walking away from our share of that market."

Sooo....you're giftwrapping it instead?

How many have said "Oh...I don't even know why they bother with that market anyway, they don't make any money off of it." The above would seem to indicate otherwise.

At this point the Ford plan of marketing FAIL for the Panthers (& Ranger) is nearly complete, and our own gubment has given them a profitable out! 2016 is IT for anything larger than a Fusion....that includes the heavy a$$ D3 Taurus. Run the Panthers til 2016 when they will forced out of the NA market anyway thanks to Uncle Obama's CAFE and milk that cash cow for a few more years til then......and Ford can even save some face on the Panthers by saying something along the lines of "Well, there's no point in a major update for that segment of cars that we will no longer be able to produce beyond 2016 anyway, so we will continue our commitment to livery and police fleets with the Panthers until that time." In the interim, they can work on bettering the Expedition and Fusion for PDs. With 2016 CAFE coming, GRWD will not happen here. If they were actually smart, a parts bin update for the Panthers would help with retail sales through 2016 as well.

FWD & unibody = FAIL for police/fleet applications

More Chargers and Tahoes for Chrysler and GM....assuming both or either is around to make them.

Edited by Armada Master

174723orly.gif

Alrighty then....... :hysterical:

^^That needs to be quoted for posterity. :cheerleader:

:redcard:

As I stated before, the replacement to the stupidity that is the cancellation of the Panther platform will not be the D3 Taurus. The Panther's replacements will be a mix of Chargers and Tahoes, with the Wimpala and Taurus picking up the scraps.

How many have said "Oh...I don't even know why they bother with that market anyway, they don't make any money off of it." The above would seem to indicate otherwise.

At this point the Ford plan of marketing FAIL for the Panthers (& Ranger) is nearly complete, and our own gubment has given them a profitable out! 2016 is IT for anything larger than a Fusion....that includes the heavy a$$ D3 Taurus. Run the Panthers til 2016 when they will forced out of the NA market anyway thanks to Uncle Obama's CAFE and milk that cash cow for a few more years til then......and Ford can even save some face on the Panthers by saying something along the lines of "Well, there's no point in a major update for that segment of cars that we will no longer be able to produce beyond 2016 anyway, so we will continue our commitment to livery and police fleets with the Panthers until that time." In the interim, they can work on bettering the Expedition and Fusion for PDs. With 2016 CAFE coming, GRWD will not happen here. If they were actually smart, a parts bin update for the Panthers would help with retail sales through 2016 as well.

FWD & unibody = FAIL for police/fleet applications

More Chargers and Tahoes for Chrysler and GM....assuming both or either is around to make them.

Your mate P-71 no to happy on Autoblog.

Matt 3:05PM (8/28/2009)

And the failure that is Ford continues.

The new limp-wristed Taurus will NOT:

Be as reliable as the CV

Be as cheap to operate as the CV

Be as inexpensive to buy as the CV

Be as durable as the CV

And there is no way that Ford will offer a $38K sport sedan to police agencies. The police Taurus will be (under) powered by the 3.5 V6.

Matt 3:05PM (8/28/2009)

I think a lot of police agencies will opt for the Tahoe. MUCH better vehicle than the Taurus, it gets similar gas mileage as the other offerings (10-12 MPG) has a V8, has RWD, is just as fast as the CV, handles just as good as the CV, TONS more space, etc.

Matt 5:20PM (8/28/2009)

"Agencies ARE in fact snapping up the Tahoe for just that reason. It can haul ass, gear, K-9s, and people everywhere, MPG be damned. Plus it doesn't scream "cop car" so it's easier to nail traffic violators without being noticed. The Tahoe is an excellent option."

When driven like a police car...the Impala, Crown Vic, Tahoe, V6/V8 Charger all get the same mileage...around 10-12 MPG.

Autoblog LINK

My God he is paranoid.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

"We've got some big decisions to make, and we're making them," said Jim Farley, head of global sales, marketing and service for Ford. "We have no intention of walking away from our share of that market."

Ford's plan relies on PDs accepting AWD , something that's reportedly a real hard sell to PDs and without it,

Ecoboost is dead in the water. GM and Chrysler RWD V8s are far cheaper, that's important to PD budgets.

Farley knows he needs a RWD car and Fields has hinted at a RWD crossover as an interim measure.

Edited by jpd80

I still say a unique sedan body on an MKT version of D3 would be the ticket for a police/livery/taxi service vehicle.

Brilliant!

I still say sedan versions of the Flex and MKT could be used for police and livery while not affecting the retail of the Taurus/MKS

:)

Ford's plan relies on PDs accepting AWD , something that's reportedly a real hard sell to PDs and without it,

Ecoboost is dead in the water.

In your dreams, maybe.

Ford has stated that EcoBoost will be available in most of their passenger vehicles in 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder powertrains.

Why failing to sell a CV replacement would leave "Ecoboost is dead in the water" is curious.

Please give us details on your remarkable conclusion.

Maybe they could use a setup similar to the WRC Focus RS suspension then. I'm sure those cars take more abuse than the average police cruiser. :shades:

AWD WRC "REAL" RS Focus without fake rubberknuckle fitted, that would be the koolest kop car in the world, l'd want join the police just to drive one.

Try getting away from this.

In your dreams, maybe.

Ford has stated that EcoBoost will be available in most of their passenger vehicles in 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder powertrains.

Why failing to sell a CV replacement would leave "Ecoboost is dead in the water" is curious.

Please give us details on your remarkable conclusion.

I could be wrong, but I think he meant dead in the water for LEO use.