Ford To Cops: CV is Out

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We obviously knew the CV is dying, but I do wonder if Ford will push it's death back 1 year to help things with the CAW as the end of the article mentioned. Is the CV required to comply to that side airbag law (or whatever it was) that was reason for production ceasing in 2011 on it (and that may've not been the reason for CV's 2011 date, I don't remember) and Ranger?

Every time I read new info on Carbon motors, it just makes me cringe. The guys running that company have negative business acumen. Their only hope is that their product is so fantastically fantastic that overcomes the major flaws in the business model, but if Michigan cops aren't even going to eval it then they're pretty SOL.

Interesting how the article stress that while Ford is leaning heavily toward Taurus, it's keeping its options open in the post-CV area. Well, if it's not CV and it's not Taurus then it's gotta be something they don't currently sell in the US.

Interesting how the article stress that while Ford is leaning heavily toward Taurus, it's keeping its options open in the post-CV area. Well, if it's not CV and it's not Taurus then it's gotta be something they don't currently sell in the US.

It's my understanding (based on various sources I've read) that the problems with the Impala have been the lack of (long-term) durability in the front-wheel drive. Has Ford got something up their sleeve with the Taurus that makes it more heavy duty?

(or possibly they're ceding first-place to Dodge?)

(or possibly they're ceding first-place to Dodge?)

even now, the Ontario Provincial police are stocking up on Chargers.

but then again, who cares. Police is yet another low margin fleet sale.

Lose the rental fleets and police and focus on the higher margin customers.

even now, the Ontario Provincial police are stocking up on Chargers.

but then again, who cares. Police is yet another low margin fleet sale.

Lose the rental fleets and police and focus on the higher margin customers.

I understand what you're saying here, but in tough economic times do people prefer the lowest price, or knowing that they're getting value for their money? When I purchase something, I am willing to spend more $$ for the sure thing, than take a chance on an unknown.

I know that many police cars are purchased on the basis of competitive bid, however the criteria for those bids is set by the municipality. Does the Dodge (or the Taurus) police car match the quality/reliability of the CV? If the CV is superior, then its price premium can be justified; even by the government.

Here in Raleigh, I'm told they maintain a fleet of about 110% (to allow for vehicular repairs). If another vehicle requires more than 110%, then is it really a better deal?

Edited by RangerM

The thing is that Ford cannot continue an orphan line of cars (CV, GM, TC) that has low and ever declining sales. Every model year they have even fewer parts in common with higher volume lines. Police fleet sales of about 64k vehicles per year can never justify a dedicated plant and a dedicated platform.

There are other paths. The next generation Explorer may be able to spawn a variant suitable. Hey, even a variant based on a modified F150 chassis is a possibility (maybe not probable, but possible). The key is that such a future product must have commonality with a line that has reasonable volume, and be able to be built in a plant that has relatively high utilization in order to keep the price reasonable.

Does the Dodge (or the Taurus) police car match the quality/reliability of the CV?

According to the article, the Charger ain't holding up well either.

RWD is not a guarantee of durability.

Also, Crown Vics have less rear leg room than Taurus. PIs use the standard length Crown Vic, not the extended WB taxi model.

perhaps larger police forces should start thinking about specialized purpose vehicles.

many already have vans, pickups and station wagons for specific purposes.

why not use, say, V8 Mustangs for patrol/pursuit and once criminals are apprehended, a van shows up to transfer them to the station.

Use Chargers/Impalas/Tauruses for general purpose/traffic control usage.

The days of a one-size-fits-all car are over with the death of the CV

Edited by J-150