MKT vs CTS-V

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this quote:

I’m picking the MKT because the CTS-V, as wonderful as it may be, is simply an American M5. It’s an imitation. It’s an attempt to be something that Cadillac never really was. The MKT, by contrast, is a perfect successor to that iconic 1961 Continental. It’s the ultimate American luxury car, and the fact that it’s technically a Canadian-built truck doesn’t matter one bit. In a world where I had followed my father’s path — an alternative universe where I had chosen hard work and respectability over club racing and sleeping ’till noon — I’d bring a new car home to my kids to celebrate my new job, and it would be a Lincoln. Trust me on this one. When the smoke clears, the last brand standing in domestic luxury will be the one from Dearborn.

I don't know what it is, but I really like the MKT. I do wish Lincoln could get the rid of the "a nice Ford" perception. Better yet, I hope Ford can get over the public perception "its just a Ford".

Im not sure why Ford takes such a beating when it comes to shared platforms. When someone mentions MKZ some people say its just a Fusion. Yet, when Someone says ES330 people say oh thats a nice Lexus, not that its a Camry. Same with Infiniti.... etc...

Wonder how many years its going to take to get that perception cleared up?

Good read

Edited to make the typo police happy.

Edited by fordtech1

Great write up

The first MKT hit the ground here a couple days ago. I kept reading how they look so much better in person. I was thrilled to see that is the case. It's a looker.

The wife took one look and said: Station Wagon. She is right. But it is one darn sexy station wagon.

If it came in Dark Blue, i would order one today. As it is I have to warm up to a color before i buy one. We saw the steel blue on a 2010 Escape, it does not do it for a luxury car.

Very nicely written article, but to be honest (and not a be a total fanboy here) why are they comparing the two? its almost as stupid as comparing the Taurus SHO to mid-sized Luxury sedans, just because they cost almost the same.

The MKT is an interesting product, but we'll see how it does

Very nicely written article, but to be honest (and not a be a total fanboy here) why are they comparing the two? its almost as stupid as comparing the Taurus SHO to mid-sized Luxury sedans, just because they cost almost the same.

The MKT is an interesting product, but we'll see how it does

The author explains that - he sees both as "core" products for their brands.

Great write up

The first MKT hit the ground here a couple days ago. I kept reading how they look so much better in person. I was thrilled to see that is the case. It's a looker.

The wife took one look and said: Station Wagon. She is right. But it is one darn sexy station wagon.

If it came in Dark Blue, i would order one today. As it is I have to warm up to a color before i buy one. We saw the steel blue on a 2010 Escape, it does not do it for a luxury car.

Does it not come in Dark Ink Blue?

I also liked the review.

Im not sure why Ford takes such a beating when it comes to shared platforms. When someone mentions MKZ some people say its just a Fusion. Yet, when Someone says ES330 people say oh thats a nice Lexus, not that its a Camry. Same with Infinity..... etc...

Wonder how many years its going to take to get that perception cleared up?

While I agree to some extent, it is not just a matter of time to change the perception, but also a matter of more vehicles like the MKT and MKS which share a platform, but look essentially nothing like their counterparts. The ES330 has not been made for years. The ES350 does not share any sheetmetal with the Camry. The MKZ, while better in this go around, still shares too much sheetmetal with the Fusion.

Infinity does not make cars.

The author explains that - he sees both as "core" products for their brands.

I wouldn't call either one of these vehicles "core" to their brand. I would consider them quite the opposite. They are fringe models for their brand and really don't mean a whole lot to the overall perception or success/failure of either brand.

I wouldn't call either one of these vehicles "core" to their brand. I would consider them quite the opposite. They are fringe models for their brand and really don't mean a whole lot to the overall perception or success/failure of either brand.

I would say the CTS is definitely core to Cadillac. It's been the centerpiece of the "Art and Science" design language.

Would "flagship" be a better term? Which vehicles would you designate as "core" to Lincoln and Cadillac?