Next Gen Shelby GT500 to get....

Why would M care about the Mustang, isn't he a VW Jetta fanboy?

A non-buyers opinion is as empty as his influence on product designers.....

Edit,

As Austin has told us previously, the original proposed IRS for the Mustang would have been

similar to FoA's version of the CB IRS but with different pick up points and possibly no weight

penalty over the SRA. That said, the SRA does a good Job and can be refined even further by

possibly tuning or conversion to Watts linkage for better roll center control.

Either way, the reduced complexity means an easier, less complicated build process that is

welcomed by people who generally fit the Mustang's demographic - KISS works.

Edited by jpd80

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6.2 TT & 5.0 TT (no DI) are real. Nothing in stone though. Short memories are real though.

A person " in the know" supposedly says that the "Road Runner" is not a 5.0 sized engine. Any idea what that might be and its application? Thanks.

6.2 TT & 5.0 TT (no DI) are real. Nothing in stone though. Short memories are real though.

DI (either NA or boosted) was canceled on all V8 gasoline engines about 2 or 3 years ago. Rumor is "not cost effective" compared to non-DI.

I'm surprised that Ford is going back to turbocharging when recent years they have been in love with supercharging (except for diesels and EcoBoost).

DI (either NA or boosted) was canceled on all V8 gasoline engines about 2 or 3 years ago. Rumor is "not cost effective" compared to non-DI.

I'm surprised that Ford is going back to turbocharging when recent years they have been in love with supercharging (except for diesels and EcoBoost).

superior emissions and fuel economy?

Turbocharging seems to have finally caught up with supercharging in terms of fluid power delivery.

Back in, what? '89? when Ford first got on the SC kick, there was a huge difference between the two.....

I would expect that institutional inertia has kept Ford supercharging engines ever since.

Edited by RichardJensen

Turbocharging seems to have finally caught up with supercharging in terms of fluid power delivery.

Back in, what? '89? when Ford first got on the SC kick, there was a huge difference between the two.....

I would expect that institutional inertia has kept Ford supercharging engines ever since.

one only has to drive the SHO to relize what you just stated....flashback to the Turbo T-birds where the engine had to be in the upper rev range to hit the power on button, only to have the surge last for 2000 rpms, power band was like an on off switch....

Is it not correct that the truck version of the Boss or Premium V8 or whatever they are calling it these days has an iron block and aluminum heads? If so, is there an aluminum block version? How about 4v heads? If not, I don't see that as a viable option for the GT500. Although having said that one still has to consider the fact that the Raptor R race truck uses a slightly tweaked 6.2L that makes around 500 hp naturally aspirated. If it can make that kind of power without the weight penalty of a supercharger or twin turbos it might still be light enough for the GT500, but I doubt it. So that leaves the Coyote as the logical successor to the 5.4L 4V. I would think (hope) it would also be TT rather than supercharged due to the higher efficiency of using exhaust gases to spin the turbo vs a power robbing belt driven supercharger. Anyone have any idea how the Coyote compares weightwise to the 5.4 4V?

Nothing's ever free---well, except maybe cabin heat from the coolant.

And I don't know that the cost/benefit for turbocharging vs. super charging is as clear cut as here asserted.

I would say Turbos would be more spendy...hell of a lot more plumbing and measures taken to lower the additional heat...but in terms of pure power I would say Turbos win, their bug bear was always a narrow power curve and lack of low end torque...items which seem to have been adressed of late, and i would assume the newer engine will have improved emissions and a noteable increase in fuel economy thus lowering the gas tax penalty....someone raised a question I am curious about....weight comparo of the speculated 5.0 TT and the alum block 5.4.....

Back a few years ago when I had a 98 Mustang Cobra with built engine and Supercharger, and car made a little over 550 RWHP, I always figured I needed a fuel system capable of fueling about 650-700 HP. I still had to fuel the power it took to spin the blower. With a turbo charger, my fueling requirements would have been a tad simpler (maybe one size smaller injectors, FP, etc), but installation and plumbing a lot more complicated. With the advent of modern electronic engine controls, you can do about anything you want with these power adders....along with excellent drivability. Something nearly impossible about 10 or more years ago.

I think adding a power adder to an existing engine, or exhisting engine bay layout, is much simpler with a supercharger. However....if you can design the whole car around the idea of some of them being turbo charged, with how you will contain and disapate the heat built into the design, I prefer the turbo charger. I believe Ford is going more the "design in" route these days and I would expect the top Mustang model to be turbo charged eventually.

Edited by Ralph Greene