2010 Taurus Limited 600 miles ownership experience

Once upon a time in America, added weight was considered an advantage. The '64 Ford Galaxie was advertised as having hundreds of pounds more road hugging weight than the competition. That said, the Taurus doesn't weigh much more than the competition and in the SHO more than makes up for it with the added power.

but that weight was PRIOR to the realization of the advantages of having greater power to weight.....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto with the '54 Buick:

1%20trunk.jpg

But that didn't stop people from buying them. Buick sold 444,600 cars in

1954. That's number 3 in sales, only surpassed by Ford and Chevrolet.

Manufacturing has got to be a tough business. How much perfection

does the customer want to pay for?

good question, ask Carbon industries and Tesla in 3 years.......oh, and Chevy for the Volt....

The Mercury Milan has a chronic alignment issue with the rear trunk not aligning properly to the fender and tailights. It's especially noticeable with the Milan because of the continguous fender to trunk tail-lamp design.

I have to say my MKX is put together VERY well, I have no complaints about interior or exterior alignments. The Taurus does seem to have fit & finish issues, and the Chicago plant has never produced Ford's highest quality products, so this is not surprisng to see and I am disappointed that they aren't doing better. I am hoping that in a year, when I'm in the market, Ford has improved the assembly of the Taurus (yes, I am probably stepping out of the Lincoln showroom for the Taurus).

Say it ain't so BORG! What about the MKS (EB of course) or an MCE of MKX?

Edited by Hugh

I am very pleased with the fit and finish of my 2010 Taurus. But it was an

early order, a "sold" car, and perhaps they gave it a little extra attention

for those reasons. They sent me a very nice thermos cup as a gift, explaining

that they took some extra time with the car because they wanted it to be right.

1%20mug.jpg

Say it ain't so BORG! What about the MKS (EB of course) or an MCE of MKX?

Leasing isn't what it use to be and my priorities are changing.

I really like the Taurus, it has the engine I want and the size I need for my 6'3" frame. I'd consider a Fusion sport but it's just too cramped and layed back for me. The Escape and Mariner have terrible, terrible seats. The Edge is great of course! :)

We have had our car a little over a month now and I have to say the SHO is a great car. Truth be told the SHO is my wife's daily driver. She is amazed how many people stop and ask about her car. I told her when we ordered it that she just didn't understand how cool a car she was getting. lol. She just can't fathom the thought of someone actually caring about a car that much to ask a complete stranger how they like it.

As for the car, we both love it. It is an awesome highway cruiser. It is much better in the MPG department than our XC90 V8 (we typically return around 22 MPG with mixed city driving). The car has tons of room. The baby stroller nicely tucks in the trunk in either direction and leaves plenty of room for the rest of the gear. The backseat room is very comfortable. My father in law is a tall guy (6' 5") and he did have some trouble getting into the front seat but as he said "that's why I drive a Navigator".

The thrust of the car is a bit of an odd sensation. There is very little audible sense of the speed. Coming from other performace cars this has taken some getting used to. I think the size of the car also makes the feel of speed a bit different. Maybe my mind just thinks a car this big should not have thrust this strong?

The SHO is everything I want in a car. Awesome Job Ford.

I am very pleased with the fit and finish of my 2010 Taurus. But it was an

early order, a "sold" car, and perhaps they gave it a little extra attention

for those reasons. They sent me a very nice thermos cup as a gift, explaining

that they took some extra time with the car because they wanted it to be right.

1%20mug.jpg

Did this come from your dealer or Ford? I was an early order and waited a long time. I want one of those. lol

We have had our car a little over a month now and I have to say the SHO is a great car. Truth be told the SHO is my wife's daily driver. She is amazed how many people stop and ask about her car. I told her when we ordered it that she just didn't understand how cool a car she was getting. lol. She just can't fathom the thought of someone actually caring about a car that much to ask a complete stranger how they like it.

As for the car, we both love it. It is an awesome highway cruiser. It is much better in the MPG department than our XC90 V8 (we typically return around 22 MPG with mixed city driving). The car has tons of room. The baby stroller nicely tucks in the trunk in either direction and leaves plenty of room for the rest of the gear. The backseat room is very comfortable. My father in law is a tall guy (6' 5") and he did have some trouble getting into the front seat but as he said "that's why I drive a Navigator".

The thrust of the car is a bit of an odd sensation. There is very little audible sense of the speed. Coming from other performace cars this has taken some getting used to. I think the size of the car also makes the feel of speed a bit different. Maybe my mind just thinks a car this big should not have thrust this strong?

I think the sense of speed is "odd" because of the torque line (it doesn't have a curve........... just a line).

With so much torque available at any rpm, there is very little drama when you hit the go pedal.

I really want one.

The acceleration is deceptive, that's for sure. I've been watching my mpg and I'm starting to think the most efficient way to drive the car for best mileage is to do jackrabbit starts (quickly accelerate to speed and get off it). With the amount of torque available I think getting up to speed as quickly as possible is better than a long, drawn out pull to cruising speed.

This car has exceeded all of my expectations. I love it.

post-35825-1258976203_thumb.jpg

post-35825-1258976213_thumb.jpg

Gawd, I'm sick of nit pickers and their obsession with "panel gaps"! It's just another thing to whine about.

More important to me is that the car starts and runs a long time, and no rattles/noises.

Toyota may have good panel gpas, but their transmissions die and the issues with gas pedals sticking wipes away any advantage of these gaps!

Buddy, 4300 lbs is considered in the industry as dudes would say is hunkin' huge. 4300lbs is ridiculous considering up and coming CAFE regulations. I'm a Ford fan through and through. You obviously have very low standards and accept what ever ford will throw at you. It's a great looker, nice style. But when the us economy picks up and gas hits 4.00$ in the fall 2010 and then it hits 5.00$ in the summer of 2011. That so-called grown up body fat on the Taursus will bite the guys on the line making them and the dealers and the suppliers and the guys working at the suppliers too. I also stopped at the dealership on Woodward in Royal Oak Michigan and they actually had 1 stickered at 47K. That's F'in Riduculous It's a Duckin' Ford not a Bimmer. Waiting for your dude-like reply. Sincerely, Paul Stewart you guy's have really low expectations and short memories of the past.

Overweight porker full size flagship sedans like...

Mercedes S-Class 4950 lbs

Audi A8 4409 lbs

BMW 7-Series 4266 lbs

Lexus LS460 AWD 4740 lbs

Acura RL 4110 lbs

I'd rather have a Ford not a BMW. The Taurus SHO starts at $37,170 and it's 6 cyl matches the $80,465 V8 7-Series 0-60 acceleration.

Gawd, I'm sick of nit pickers and their obsession with "panel gaps"! It's just another thing to whine about.

More important to me is that the car starts and runs a long time, and no rattles/noises.

Toyota may have good panel gpas, but their transmissions die and the issues with gas pedals sticking wipes away any advantage of these gaps!

panel gaps mean what? poor engineering tolerances or shoddy line assembly. Both lead to other shortcomings. Poor panel gaps on a modern vehicle leads one to question where else shortcuts were taken.

Sounds like the same stuff the "Big 3" use to say. :shades: :hysterical:

Sounds like the same stuff the "Big 3" use to say. :shades: :hysterical:

What Toyota or Honda can compete with the new Taurus? An Avalon...that's a joke. Maybe Honda's new Accord Crosstour...I can't even say that one with a straight face. That bitch is so ugly nobody cares about it's panel gaps.

Face it, the new Taurus is outstanding.

Edited by F250

Then just buy a used (2004 or older) Toyota Corolla, RAV4, or Tacoma and be done with it. Basic, no frills transportation (and decent fit and finish too).

Edited by aneekr

panel gaps mean what? poor engineering tolerances or shoddy line assembly. Both lead to other shortcomings. Poor panel gaps on a modern vehicle leads one to question where else shortcuts were taken.

Exactly!

Based on what BORG mentioned in Post #48, and on Ford's own press release, which states:

The new Taurus’ precision craftsmanship is reflected in the quality of materials used in the interior as well as the exterior panel margins, which are comparable to costly German luxury sedans.

the fact that Ford's stated goal is evidently not achieved consistently points to the assembly plant as the main culprit.

Then just buy a used (2004 or older) Toyota Corolla, RAV4, or Tacoma and be done with it. Basic, no frills transportation (and decent fit and finish too).

So you admit Toyota stopped building reliable vehicles 6 years ago.

Actually that Tacoma you listed is the subject of a huge frame rust recall which makes the truck unsafe to drive.

So you admit Toyota stopped building reliable vehicles 6 years ago.

Actually that Tacoma you listed is the subject of a huge frame rust recall which makes the truck unsafe to drive.

F250, I definitely admit that Toyota's newer designs such as the Venza, 7th gen Camry, and 3rd gen Avalon aren't as reliable (relatively speaking) as their predecessors, or as well designed for that matter. And some reviews have indicated squeaks and rattles are a more common occurrence in these vehicles compared to older Toyotas.

Back to the 2010 Taurus- once Ford resolves the assembly issues that have been discussed in this thread so that every 2010+ Taurus is as flawless fit and finish wise as the one steve577 purchased, a consumer deciding between an Avalon and a Taurus will have zero basis not to choose the Taurus.

And you're right about the 1995-2004 Tacoma; best just to take that one off the shopping list.

Edited by aneekr