Interceptor front or rwd?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I want to know is is it going to be front wheel drive or rear wheel drive?

There are so many conflicting stories/opinions out there, surely someone must know... :banghead:

This is my prediction: stretched Taurus platform with modified body work to make it look different from the new Taurus. It will be standard AWD with possible 5.0 V8 or 300hp+V6 and will be built at CAP. Definitely AWD in my mind.

This is my prediction: stretched Taurus platform with modified body work to make it look different from the new Taurus. It will be standard AWD with possible 5.0 V8 or 300hp+V6 and will be built at CAP. Definitely AWD in my mind.

Except they probably won't call it a "Taurus Platform"... anything to avoid a real model from being uttered in the same breath as the police model.

Too costly built that way.....remember, Ford is also going to build the vehicle for "municipal use" read that as taxi and livery fleets as well. My prediction is that it will be built sharing platform chassis designs from the upcoming F100 unibody and possibly Transit full size vehicles. It would end up being rear drive with a live axle out back controlled via a multi-link coil setup. It will be a stout sedan if built in that configuration. Use of the upcoming 5.0L motor with a 3.7L duratec as standard equipment. For cost reasons, you won't see any EcoBoost engines in it.

By utilizing the proposed unibody F100/Transit full size chassis....Ford obtains several objectives:

1.) Spreading development of this "new" chassis out over 3 vehicles

2.) No direct links to current consumer product on the shelf or in the product pipelines.

3.) A unibody sedan that is damn near bulletproof in terms of durability in severe use conditions

4.) Ease of said municipalities in the area of repairs and cost to maintain.

But, hey....since everyone has "predictions" ....those are mine.

I think it's rather cool that about every movie you watch whether old or modern and most crime shows on TV either have a Ford taxi or Ford police car in it. Nice to hear that is to continue after STAP is closed and we will see municipal and police versions of a new vehicle. I still predict that the police version will have AWD. I just don't think the torque steer from over 300hp motor in FWD based vehicle will be acceptable to any police dept. For a taxi, FWD will be fine, but not for a police vehicle. Any police vehicle may be called upon to do pursuit work at any time, and with AWD in most pursuit situations the police will have advantage over vehicle being pursued. With better control, maybe even this dangerous situation will be less harmful to the general public as lots of police cars in pursuit lose control and hit innocent drivers out there.

Why not just just combine the falcon/mustang/interceptor chassis and lay different sheet metal over the top. Should make the platform profitable as it should move enough units, be fast enough and handle well enough.

Sorry, platform design isn't that easy. The big problem is different widths, with unitized construction. Thus to "lay different sheet metal over the top" actually results in totally different engineering, and lots of money.

Sorry, platform design isn't that easy. The big problem is different widths, with unitized construction. Thus to "lay different sheet metal over the top" actually results in totally different engineering, and lots of money.

How off are the vehicles now in dimensions, I understand you would have to re-engineer some things but if the flexibility is built in from the get go, seems plausible.

I seriously doubt that we'll see a 300+ EB V6 in a Ford Interceptor...hell the current CVPI only has what? 240HP?

I think that a slightly tweeked 3.7L V6 will be the ticket with just under 300HP

The SHOPI might be an option, but the vast majority will be run of the mill 3.5/3.7L V6s

Keep in mind that whatever they plan to use it has to be available before the CV goes out of production. To me, that seems to indicate it has to be an existing platform. What are the chances it will be built on an updated Panther frame? Let's face it, the Panther already meets the durability/serviceability requirements. Just drop in the Coyote 5.0 and update the sheetmetal and interior to better suit LEV requirements. Maybe move the fuel tank under the back seat. Could another plant be converted to build it using equipment from the current CV line? Seems like a cost effective way to build a limited use vehicle. Who cares if it doesn't suit other uses, it doesn't have to. It only has to satisfy LEV requirements and that community obviously prefers the current BOF CV over the other stuff currently available and most of the guesses I have seen here don't appear to be much of an improvement over that other "stuff".

How off are the vehicles now in dimensions, I understand you would have to re-engineer some things but if the flexibility is built in from the get go, seems plausible.

Falcon/Mustang combo was considered for the most recent Mustang. It was dismissed: too many compromises, not enough efficiency of scale. About the only thing that could've translated was the basic geometry of the CB IRS.

Interesting question.

It could be either, but most likely rear wheel drive.

Take a Taurus streched chassis. Utilize the All Wheel Drive drive train , either the 3.5L or the 3.5l Ecoboost. However, eliminate the drive to the front wheels by plugging the front differential housing and eliminating the parts now not needed in the front diff./ front half shafts, etc. Still need the Final Drive reduction in the 6 speed ATX to power the Power takeoff to the rear drive shaft . Eliminate the on demand in line coupling in the driveshaft system to the rear differential. Now you have a modern Rear Wheel Drive without creating a low volume rear wheel drive only platform. (maintains transverse engine placement)

Some small efficiency differences versus a conventional North/south engine placement but all the parts are their to make a modern rear wheel drive Police car replacement for the Crown Vic. (short the diff plug/PTO plug)

The other alternative is to upgrade Crown Vic and offer it as a police car only. In this scenerio, you would see the 3.7 V6 as base and the 5.0l Cyote V8 with a conventional six speed automatic trans. Althought this would not be ideal, there is alot to be said for a body on frame construction for this market segment.

Edselford

Guys, guys, guys.

Whenever you consider a situation such as this, one of the first things you should do is to think about the assembly plants. Not because you want to let the plant drive the product, but the plant is the key to affordability as it absorbs most of the expense in a new product program.

So, let's first start off with a few basic assumptions:

1. St. Thomas is going down for the count...period; there is no chance whatsoever that this will be a Panther.

2. St. Thomas is going down for the count...period. It is totally hard-tooled to build Panthers and would cost a fortune to retool for any new product

3. St. Thomas is going down for the count...period. Ford has assembly capacity in other plants, and you can't run a high-volume plant on cop car volume alone

4. There is no plant other than AAI where the Mustang is produced; setting up another RWD plant would cost a fortune

5. Chicago has limped along, but will have Explorer, Taurus, and MKS. There is enough room in Chicago for cop cars. Probably on two shifts, but if the Explorer is successful, they could go to three-crew staffing

6. Margins on cop cars are slim, and will not enable Ford to develop a totally unique product.

7. As I've stated repeatedly, you can't make a RWD car from a FWD car without a complete tearup, so forgettaboutit.

There really is only one solution that makes any sense, and that's some form of Taurus. The powertrains, FWD vs. AWD, the nomenclature, and any differentiation from the Taurus sedan are all unknowns, so we'll have to wait and see.

My guess is it's going to be pretty much a regular Taurus with whatever changes need to be made for it it work for police duty. Electrical capacity increased, engine cooling, upgraded half shafts, stronger brakes, trans coolers (some parts from the EB program), etc. Keeping the price down. They could easily use the 3.7 from the MKS, I imagine, to offset the extra weight of police equipment.

Edited by Ralph Greene

Take a Taurus streched chassis. Utilize the All Wheel Drive drive train , either the 3.5L or the 3.5l Ecoboost. However, eliminate the drive to the front wheels by plugging the front differential housing and eliminating the parts now not needed in the front diff./ front half shafts, etc.

Not going to happen. You'd have to create and stress engineer a number of low volume components.

Besides, It's not that FWD cruisers are bad so much as it is that the W body and LH body were -atrocious- Charger is every bit as flimsy as the LH sedans were.

Edited by RichardJensen

Happen to have any links to this? Never heard of it before.

No links Pioneer...as stated, it is sheer speculation on my part....we know Transit full size is coming and we know that Transit FS is not a body on frame vehicle. We also know that there are "rumblings" about a possible F100 and it being unibody in construction....the jump to a sedan variant is not that hard to make considering the statements Ford has made regarding Police Interceptor.....designed and built in America, Transit FS will need to be redesigned if it is going to cover E-Series sales.....the redesign in my speculation would include F100/PI sedan to spread design costs out further....

4. There is no plant other than AAI where the Mustang is produced; setting up another RWD plant would cost a fortune

...you are forgetting about Avon Lake...rumored to be where Transit FS will be built for North America...and they already have an updated body shop to go with it....

Econoline /Avon Lake related article

The article speculates that Transit Connect may come there....I don't agree since Transit Connect is built on a modified Focus chassis...I believe that Transit Full Size is coming to Avon Lake...plenty of room for other lines, if the plant needs to be "re-done" to switch from E-Series to Transit FS, make it a "flexible" line plant while you are doing the re-do....

Edited by twintornados

My guess is off the Mustang. 3.7L with 5.0 option(same as 11 Stang), solid rear axle, very robust setup for police duty. And the plant that builds stang can build front or rear drive cars. Taurus will just not fly. Wont work with cost, wont work with FWD and the AWD we are using right now is no where close to being able to hold up in police service, wont work with the center stack. If its Taurus based it will not even closely look like a Taurus inside or out and it wont come close to holding up to the Vics heavy duty reputation. Not that the Taurus is not good but its just not going to be able to jump curbs, idle 24/7, and generally get the shit kicked out of it day in and day out like the Vic. I live near Philly and they have Vic's Impalas and some chargers. They CAN NOT keep the Chargers or the Chevy's on the road but for cost reasons they bought the chargers and Impalas the last round. Its not real hard they have been talking with Police advisory board for over a year to come up with a car suited just for the needs of a police officer. I would think front wheel drive or awd V-6 would not be on the list of wants.

According to an article, Ford sells about 45,000 police vehicles per year or 75% of the market. I would have thought it would be more than 75, but whatever. Let's assume that isn't ALL CVPI's. So let's assume 30,000. Due to amortization over so many years I wouldn't be surprised if Ford made $10,000 profit per CVPI. But let's cut that down to $5,000. Multiply 30,000 units times $5,000 and you get a whopping $150,000,000 profit........from one vehicle! Due to new tooling etc., it will take Ford a long time to reach that profit with a new vehicle. I'd say keep punching out CVPI's forever! Okay update it a little, give it a crease line down the side of the sheet metal, but keep the BOF and RWD. It would keep costs to a minimum, IMO.