Fiesta dealer training

On a recent morning I had one of my vehicles at the dealer for routine maintenance. As is customary, I toured the lot and proceeded to the showroom to see what was inside. Upon entering the showroom I saw the sales force having a meeting. I assumed it was a normal sales meeting, but after listening for a moment I learned it was a trainer from Ford headquarters. I asked if I could listen in, and he said it was OK.

He started with some points about the Raptor (one was in the showroom) then took the group outside for a presentation about the EcoBoost Flex. Then the group reconvened in the showroom for the main training regarding the Fiesta.

Using his PC and a small flatscreen monitor, the trainer went through a slick PowerPoint presentation. He started by highlighting the car itself, focusing on its attractive styling, many desirable features, 30+ year European heritage, etc. He discussed the competition, noting that the Honda Fit is a great car but many other B segment cars really aren't very desirable (e.g. Chevy Aveo). "We are making a car people WANT TO have, not just because it's all they can afford." Speaking of affordability, during banter with the sales force, he asked what was appealing to them about the car. One salesperson said, "it's cheap!." To which the trainer replied, "never say this car is 'cheap.' It may be inexpensive, but it's definitely not 'cheap'."

After this, the trainer proceeded to the next part of his presentation: a discussion of the sociology and psychology of the typical Fiesta buyer. Actually this took up most of the presentation. It included a detailed discussion of the Fiesta Movement, information about social media (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube), and demographics. Some of the statistics were staggering, such as how quickly these social media have become prevalent in society. There were many comments along the lines of --- the Fiesta customer may be young but they are very savvy, many of them have never set foot in a Ford dealership, we finally have something of interest to them so we must get the whole experience right, or within minutes the whole world will know about their bad experience.

Apparently there will be info forthcoming after the LA Show about actually being able to reserve a Fiesta. If I heard it right, he explained how those reserving a car will be assigned a "big brother" within Ford who will be responsible for helping them through the process, including keeping them posted on exactly when their car will be built. (Shades of previous well-appreciated insider help on this forum!)

At the end I thanked the trainer, noting that as a 'car guy' I found this all extremely interesting. I said that the whole thing had Jim Farley written all over it. He smiled and commented that the Fiesta Movement was a tough sell due to its cost and its out-of-the-box approach, but he noted that it had all the marks of extreme success. An example was that the name recognition for Fiesta is many times more than Flex, even though the car isn't out yet (I guess there are companies which count and analyze these sorts of things).

I also found it interesting that this training was being done so far in advance. I guess it will take some time to get the dealer network oriented to a new product in a new segment with a new customer base.

You sales folks may find training like this just part of the job, but I was fascinated by it. Hope you enjoyed the write-up.

PS The trainer was driving an orange Raptor.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post!

Great news. This is how Ford will gain market share.

"the Fiesta customer may be young but they are very savvy, many of them have never set foot in a Ford dealership, we finally have something of interest to them so we must get the whole experience right, or within minutes the whole world will know about their bad experience."

Wow. A revolution.

Excellent post/thread, roush!!! TY!

...I also found it interesting that this training was being done so far in advance. I guess it will take some time to get the dealer network oriented to a new product in a new segment with a new customer base...

just imho

IF just one of these social-media types is intrigued enough to physically enter a Ford showroom (eek),

they want that experience to backup their carefully-crafted & EXPENSIVE online experience

&

tho the intro is a ways off and maybe you caught the first dealer on the trainer's list...

(that daring social-media thowback^ could be there tomorrow!!!)

...I kinda hope SOME info-materials were at every dealership when the Fiesta Movement STARTED

What's funny is Ford can call this guy "big brother" to the Tweeting generation.

'1984? That was two years before I was born and, by extension two years before anything I cared about.'

Funny I remember reading 1984 in high school in 1976. It seemed like it was a lifetime away. In 1984 I was out of college and bought an '84 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z. Now that seems like a lifetime ago.

Thanks for your post Roush, it was very interesting and informative. It is good to know Ford is on the ball with the Fiesta launch. This preparation bodes well for the Fiesta.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

Ah, you bought a 1984 Dodge Daytona. Hmm. Bet you would've traded that for a rat mask even up after a couple years, eh?

Read that book and "Animal Farm" in High School. Should probably reread them one of these days.

Hate to age myself here, but I was born in 1984. I read 1984 in middle school, late 90s.

And on the OP, that is very comforting. NONE of the automakers have gotten their heads around social networking, so this is very encouraging. I think Ford is miles ahead in this regard.

Have you guys seen the Honda ads that push to their Facebook page at the end? No mention of Honda.com, just facebook.com/honda

What's funny is Ford can call this guy "big brother" to the Tweeting generation.

'1984? That was two years before I was born and, by extension two years before anything I cared about.'

That's only if the indefinite article is missing. "Big Brother" may be watching you, but "A big brother" = "Big Brothers/Big Sisters of America" - someone there to bring a feeling of security into your life.

Ah, you bought a 1984 Dodge Daytona. Hmm. Bet you would've traded that for a rat mask even up after a couple years, eh?

Read that book and "Animal Farm" in High School. Should probably reread them one of these days.

I LOVED the Daytona Turbo Z. Black with a gray cloth interior. Still one of the best road cars I have ever owned. Drove it from Pittsburgh to Boston straight through. Traded it in 1988 for my '88 Eddie Bauer Bronco II. I paid 13k for the Dodge which stickered for 14k and I got $9,500 for the trade on the Bronco. The downside to the Daytona was the build quality. Clutch and shifter cables snapped with alarming regularity and the power window plastic gear tracks broke every winter when the windows iced and I tried to put them down. Still lots of great memories.

I've not read 1984, but have read Animal Farm a few years ago. Very strange story it was....

I've not read 1984, but have read Animal Farm a few years ago. Very strange story it was....

Not very strange, just a interesting allegory wrapped in a childrens book

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Farm

I'd say that Animal Farm and some of Ayn Rand's stories I read in High school (way back in 1992-1993) where my favorites. I hated To Kill a Mockingbird....

I bet these things will fly off the lot if Ford ever gets to building them. I am very interested in one myself for a commuter car. I have never even given something like this a second thought before. I understand trying to up sell and showing what a quality car it is and all but price is a major factor in this segment. At least it is to me.

Does anybody know if this thing will come in a 3 Door? Those buggers look sharp to me. I just dont care for the looks of the 5 door or coupe.

Edited by chevys

Ford needs to send some of their willing fans from Facebook and followers on Twitter to the dealerships and tell them what it's all about. In fact, take it a step further, have a dealer work with a 20/30 something to become their personal evangelist. I'm sure every dealer could find one. That way you have someone in the trenches that gets it.

Always the possibility that it will launch later also.

Yep.. especially if the factory is already churning them out for the rest of the Americas.

Wasn't the gen 1 Focus ZX3 more popular than expected at launch? I seem to remember the ZX3's success being the peg used to bring the ZX5 over a few years into production.

And on the ZX3, it's still my favorite car I've owned so far... nothing about that car I didn't like.

Yep.. especially if the factory is already churning them out for the rest of the Americas.

Wasn't the gen 1 Focus ZX3 more popular than expected at launch? I seem to remember the ZX3's success being the peg used to bring the ZX5 over a few years into production.

And on the ZX3, it's still my favorite car I've owned so far... nothing about that car I didn't like.

Yeah, I much preferred the hatch Focuses more than the sedans also. More choices the better I say, as long as a business case can be made for it.