EcoBoost in F150

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think most people would be willing to pony up another 4-6-8K on top of say a 35K F-150 just to get a diesel engine that prob won't even pay for itself in fuel costs over its life time.

+1

Blue II has already filled-in some of the blanks on the game plan.

As would putting the 4.4L diesel engine in the F150 :rolleyes:

Not here. People were clamoring over the possibility of the 4.4L being dropped into the F150. As they were about the 4.5L in the Silverado.

This EB F150 may help at this altitude, but I'm still worried about the towing capacity.

I dont think most people would be willing to pony up another 4-6-8K on top of say a 35K F-150 just to get a diesel engine that prob won't even pay for itself in fuel costs over its life time.

I would!

Here in CO (5280ft elevation+), many people opt for an F250 over an F150, simply due to the powerplant. These NA gas V8's can't compare or compete to the turbo diesels here at altitude. Most people don't need the max capability of the F250 or similar 3/4 ton trucks, but they opt for the 3/4 ton to get the diesel, which can manuever these mtn passes with ease while the N/A gassers grasp for air. Especially when you have a load behind you. I know we are a minority in the sales column, but I know plenty of people who already pay the inflated price for the diesel and paying upwards of $55K for an F250 that never truly never gets worked hard and isn't needed. Heck the neighbor across the street from me has a Silverado 2500 6.6L Duramax that he uses for work and tows a 3K-4K lb trailer (he upgraded from an '03 F250 6.0L). He admits he doesn't need the trucks full capability, but is the only way to get a diesel.

Edited by V8-X

Heard from my friend today that they will be starting next August on the plastic mold designs for the intake plumbing on the F150 3.5L EcoBoost application. Project code name P415. I was a little surprised to hear that it is that far out.

Bolded for emphasis.

I would have to say I'm a little concerned that plastic intakes are being used on forced induction motors. :shrug:

Looks like he meant the plastic intake ducting and not the intake itself.

But yet they will pony up similar for a 6.7 liter V8 diesel in Super Duty. Different market but

I think this is more about Ford having options like 4.4 V8 diesel and Ecoboost engines ready to go

and contingency plans for which way customer buying patterns trend - it's called covering all bases.

F 150 market is still pretty weak and a lot of great options needed to get numbers heading North.

Edited by jpd80

The parts we are talking about include the plastic tubes that connect the turbos to the intake manifold and the air filter box to the turbo inlets, not the intake manifold itself. The same company (Steere Ent.) that is doing these parts for the F150 3.5L EB also does all of the other 3.5L EB applications. They are located in Tallmadge, OH which is conveniently close to where these engines are assembled at Cleveland Engine Plant #1 in Brook Park, OH. I have some photos at work of the SHO engine out of the car that show the parts we are talking about. I will post them later.

http://www.steere.com/about.htm

Edited by blksn8k2

That depends on how many mile per year you drive and the price of diesel fuel. At today's artificially inflated diesel fuel prices, you are likely correct.

That depends on how many mile per year you drive and the price of diesel fuel. At today's artificially inflated diesel fuel prices, you are likely correct.

How are they artificially inflated? You ever consider the fact that refineries have to pay back their investments in cracking low sulfur diesel fuel?

The only way Diesel makes any sense is if its CHEAPER then Regular gas.

I found a MPG calculator here http://www.mpgomatic.com/mileage_calculator.html

I punched in some numbers on the site, and if you get a truck that gets 15 MPG with a gas motor and put 20K a year on the truck and say you got a Diesel that got 20 MPG at the same Truck and paid the same as Regular gas for Diesel, you would save only about $800 dollars a year...at that rate you would need to keep the truck at least 8 years or so to get your investment back.

I punched in some numbers on the site, and if you get a truck that gets 15 MPG with a gas motor and put 20K a year on the truck and say you got a Diesel that got 20 MPG at the same Truck and paid the same as Regular gas for Diesel, you would save only about $800 dollars a year...at that rate you would need to keep the truck at least 8 years or so to get your investment back.

Unless the diesel truck also had a higher resale value which is highly likely in the case of Ford's 6.7 V8.

With a diesel, you're also buying a stack of low end torque that few gas engines can match.

Horses for courses.

Edited by jpd80

Unless the diesel truck also had a higher resale value which is highly likely in the case of Ford's 6.7 V8.

With a diesel, you're also buying a stack of low end torque that few gas engines can match.

Horses for courses.

I'm not saying its attractive to some people, but it seems like Ford hasn't found a good business case for it yet, thus why its not in the F-150..yet

How are they artificially inflated? You ever consider the fact that refineries have to pay back their investments in cracking low sulfur diesel fuel?

The only way Diesel makes any sense is if its CHEAPER then Regular gas.

I found a MPG calculator here http://www.mpgomatic.com/mileage_calculator.html

Assuming the resale value on the diesel is exactly the same as the gas, which it is not.

Assuming the resale value on the diesel is exactly the same as the gas, which it is not.

I never factor that in since I drive my cars into the ground...I already have just over 70K on a a nearly 4 yr old Mustang GT...so I know I'm not gonna get shit for it.

But just for shits and giggles, the difference, according to KBB.com, with a 2005 with a hypothetical 60K in mileage F-250 Super Cab Long Bed 5.4L Gasser vs the Power Stroke is nearly 5K!

I never factor that in since I drive my cars into the ground...I already have just over 70K on a a nearly 4 yr old Mustang GT...so I know I'm not gonna get shit for it.

But just for shits and giggles, the difference, according to KBB.com, with a 2005 with a hypothetical 60K in mileage F-250 Super Cab Long Bed 5.4L Gasser vs the Power Stroke is nearly 5K!

I typically drive mine into the ground as well.

But in the 5 years, you have saved $800 a year (fuel costs based on your estimate) for a total of $4k. And you only lost about $2k in value for the PS (based on a 7k cost of entry), so you are ahead 2k. Figure in added maintenance costs and it the diesel probably saves you maybe 1k? Maybe it is a wash...costs the same to drive either. But if you use it for towing at all...wow what a difference!! Plus, the money saved while towing is much greater for diesel vs. gas.

So, in other words, but what you want. It's all a wash in the end! :hysterical:

But, give me a 4.4L in place of the big-azz diesel, and the savings increases for the diesel!