Edge or Flex?

we're ready to get a new car for the wife (Ford only for this family) finally as her 16 year old son is ready to take over her 96' Taurus wagon on a limited basis. We went to drive them both today at our favorite dealership and it's really a toss-up with her. I have my favorite but I won't sway your opinions.

The size of the Flex is close to her wagon and that's not a concern but she thinks the styling may be outdated in a few years and thus date the era of the car. She's never had a brand new car. We both drove the 2 and were impressed with both. The Taurus wagon by-the-way has been an outstanding vehicle.

We're probably 2 months out for purchase but we take our time. Heck we were on a list for the GT500 for 2 years!!!

She'll be keeping it a while so what do you guys think and recomend?

Last September we had 5 weeks holiday in the USA and hired a V6 Edge, I had a lot of seat time

in it and came away really impressed. We loaded to the max with four large adults and travel bags

most days and our route map was LA to Vegas, Grand Canyon, Death valley, Mammoth Lakes,

Lake Tahoe, Sonoma, Santa Cruz, San Francisco and back to LA.

We didn't spare it at all, lots of climbs, lots of +70 mph highway running and plenty of LA gridlock.

If you want a good, honest mid sized SUV, the Edge is a great choice.

PS, we consistently saw 22.5 to 23.5 mpg average fuel economy.

we're ready to get a new car for the wife (Ford only for this family) finally as her 16 year old son is ready to take over her 96' Taurus wagon on a limited basis. We went to drive them both today at our favorite dealership and it's really a toss-up with her. I have my favorite but I won't sway your opinions.

The size of the Flex is close to her wagon and that's not a concern but she thinks the styling may be outdated in a few years and thus date the era of the car. She's never had a brand new car. We both drove the 2 and were impressed with both. The Taurus wagon by-the-way has been an outstanding vehicle.

We're probably 2 months out for purchase but we take our time. Heck we were on a list for the GT500 for 2 years!!!

Are you referring to the current Edge, I assume?

Based on the comparing the current Edge and Flex, I'd choose Flex, as I chose the Flex over the Edge when I was deciding as well. Now, I've not seen the new Edge and don't know too much about your all's needs or if you would wait until the new Edge came out to decide - so like I said, at this point in time, I'd go with Flex, but that's just me.

I'd wait for the 2011 Edge and see from there. The Flex is a very good vehicle but does your wife need a larger crossover/minivan alternate/station wagon? The Edge is very good in its own right however IMHO, it's interior is a little old and it's time for something new. I believe it'll be shown at Detroit in a couple of weeks.

Considering that you were on a waiting list for the GT500, it would seem that your budget for vehicles is <ahem> flexible....have you considered and/or looked at the MKX or MKT?

Yes, we have considered both of those! Appointments on each aren't significant enough for us to choose them over their Ford counterparts though! I like Lincoln and currently drive an 03 LS that I truly love.

Good comments folks, I appreciate everybodys input thus far.

We have had an Edge for over two years. It is my wife's daily commuter and our weekend vehicle. Two years ago when we bought it, we really needed the Flex, but it wasn't available at the time. Now that our daughters are away at college the Edge is just right. If you travel 100 to 200 hundred every weekend with a couple of kids and and friend or two, get the Flex. I believe it is important to assess what your needs our for a utility vehicle and go from there. If both satisfy your requirements than it is just a matter of styling and if you like one better than the other, get the one you like. My less practical side says screw it, get he Ecoboost Flex and have fun.

It really depends on your current needs and styling preference. The Flex offers bold styling and a 3rd row and more power if you went for the EB. The Edge is more conservative and seats 5 with more appealing looks IMO. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong. They're both quality vehicles.

I'd test drive both of them at least 3 times and since it will be your wife's - you might want to let her have significant input on the decision.

My wife wants an Edge (she doesn't like the styling of the Flex) but we have 3 kids under 7 and the seating won't be enough. I'm leaning towards an Expedition even though it will be more than I need short term - long term it will be perfect.

It all comes down to needs and personal preference. Best of luck making the right decision for you and post up some pics when you get the new set of wheels.

Eric

Flex, in my opinion it is hands down the superior overall vehicle.

+1

That being said though, if you don't need the size of the Flex, the Edge is a very nice vehicle. We have a Flex because we need the space for 3 kids. theoldwizard is right though...the first words out of my wife's mouth was that is was huge!

The Flex is an extremely nice vehicle though, and we love it! If you go the Edge route, as others have said, I would wait for the '11 model year.

Like most have stated, all depends on what your needs are. Both should be great and reliable vehicles.

My personal opinion. I like the style of the Flex, inside and out, better than that of the current Edge. Can't speak to the '11 Edge soon to come. I have 3 kids (13, 5 & 3). The Edge simply wouldn't provide enough room for the family, plus our two dogs (Shar-Pei & American Bulldog). My wife can't wait until later this year, as we plan of selling or trading her Altima in for a Flex.

Sorry, not much help. This is really going to depend on what your wife and families needs to determine the best vehicle.

My wife drives a 2008 Edge SEL AWD. It has 37K miles on it. So far, we are very happy with the car. It rides very well and gets great traction in the slippery stuff. We tend to beat the EPA ratings of 15/22, the new 2010 ratings of 17/23 are much closer to reality. So far, the only issue we've had with the car was due to the dealer installed heated seats. I would recommend the Edge to anybody who wants a spacious five seat CUV. Odds are, we will replace this Edge with another one.

Obviously, if you need a third row then get the Flex. However, if you don't think you need it then why lug around all the extra weight of the Flex, not to mention pay the extra price. Personally, I'd wait until the 2011 Edge is unveiled to make my decision, though it sounds like you'll be needing a car before the new Edge goes on sale in May or June.

The smaller size of the Edge won't save you much gas, 18/25 versus 17/24 for the Flex. Go for the extra room if you need it, although I personally like the looks of the Edge over the Flex. I bought a Taurus X as I prefered the looks over the Flex, but I'm a rare wagon guy (love the versatility/handling combo).

You can also wait for the all new Explorer coming in a year. It'll be in between the two in size, based on the unibody car frame, good ground clearance and towing, and have a lot of great new Ford technology as well, from super Ecoboost fuel efficiency to highly advanced SYNC electronics.