Report: Ford putting 3.7L V6 into 2011 F-150

That's what I assume but I worry that they will be scarce on the lots because I found it very hard to find a copy with the 4.6L around here. Pretty much all of them had the 5.4L when I looked, and I looked often. We went with the Flex (lease) because even at $38k it was the better buy for many reasons but I'd love to have a well equipped SuperCrew for around the same price. Especially after the 30+ inches of snow we just had. The Flex, even with AWD, just can't handle that much soft snow and I was wishing we still had the Explorer it replaced at times because it would go through anything.

You can get a lot of extras on the F-150 for around $2k. Not quite what the Flex has but most of what we have in it is just fluff and not necessary. Really nice, but overkill for us.

Next time, you should consider ordering it. You can typically have an ordered vehicle in 6 weeks. Also, the dealer in most cases will trade/buy from another dealer. My dealer went about 215 miles one way to get the exact Focus I wanted.

Never settle. Get exactly what you want.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know whether Kuzak was serious about Ecoboost I-4 in F Truck?

Or should we put that one down to EB I-4 roll out marketing hype?

Don't know about I-4, but have heard the EB 3.5 has been approved. Should slot between base 3.7 and 5.0. When they start refurbing the engine line I should know more.

Don't know about I-4, but have heard the EB 3.5 has been approved. Should slot between base 3.7 and 5.0. When they start refurbing the engine line I should know more.

That's a great move, giving diesel like gains in torque and fuel consumption with the added horsepower of a gasoline turbo engine. I hope all the new engines in F Trucks sell well, F150 and SD sales are "the way back up" for Ford.

Edited by jpd80

Does anyone know whether Kuzak was serious about Ecoboost I-4 in F Truck?

Or should we put that one down to EB I-4 roll out marketing hype?

I can't find the exact quote but I do recall a short article in Automotive News (few months back) where Kuzak suggested an EB I-4 was a possibility.

I can't find the exact quote but I do recall a short article in Automotive News (few months back) where Kuzak suggested an EB I-4 was a possibility.

I think the general consensus is that if the I4 goes into a F150, it'll probably be a XL standard cab standard box model. More of a "Ranger replacement" for the local parts hauler. I think the extended and Crew models are just to heavy for a I4 F150.

I don't think the 2.0L I4 would be big enough for the F-150. He could have been testing the waters for a new bigger I4 engine. A 2.5L I4 EB would do it if people wanted it.

I'm guessing that the 3.5L EB will be a premium engine slotted above the 5.0L in cost and power. In a truck, I wouldn't bet on the 5.0L making more than 360hp/390lb-ft or so. The 3.5L EB is easily capable of exceeding that in applications where it the drivetrain behind it is limiting it.

Next time, you should consider ordering it. You can typically have an ordered vehicle in 6 weeks. Also, the dealer in most cases will trade/buy from another dealer. My dealer went about 215 miles one way to get the exact Focus I wanted.

Never settle. Get exactly what you want.

That is an option but not one I'm putting anywhere near the top of my list. I didn't "settle" on the Flex. I really do like it and was able to find one exactly how I wanted it only one state away so the dealer did have to trade for it. After having it for nearly a year I'm finding that I don't use a lot of the features I paid for and therfore an F-150 without them would be ideal.

I just found the 4.6L F-150 very difficult to find and all of them were too stripped down for my liking. Hence my question about availability of the 3.7L F-150. I

I just found the 4.6L F-150 very difficult to find and all of them were too stripped down for my liking. Hence my question about availability of the 3.7L F-150. I

I can forward your question to my father who's a dealer. We're Canadian but he also has American dealer friends. For PURE speculation, I can look at the 2010 lineup and take the 4.6L 2V and substitute the 3.7L instead. Like I said, speculation at best but I'll run it up the flag pole and see what happens.

I can forward your question to my father who's a dealer. We're Canadian but he also has American dealer friends. For PURE speculation, I can look at the 2010 lineup and take the 4.6L 2V and substitute the 3.7L instead. Like I said, speculation at best but I'll run it up the flag pole and see what happens.

That would be much appreciated Hugh, thanks. Like I said, I'm in no position to buy right now. Just curious.

There was some old kook on another board that was absolutely convinced Ford would rule the automotive world if they would just build a diesel powered Crown Vic........

All kidding aside, a 3.7L V-6 F-150 is a great idea and will find a lot of buyers.

Would a V-6 Lion F-150 interest you?

Don't play with my heart you cruel man. A 3.6L V6 or better the 4.4L V8 is just the ticket. Yes sir, I would buy if available. My GF's father would be interested as well.

Honestly, I think the 4.4L would be a great engine for the F250. Personally, I feel the 6.7L is too much for the F250. The 4.4L would be the perfect combination of towing ability and fuel economy for me, and many with towing needs like mine (< 10k). The V6 would be purrrrrrrfect for an F150!

Honestly, I think the 4.4L would be a great engine for the F250. Personally, I feel the 6.7L is too much for the F250. The 4.4L would be the perfect combination of towing ability and fuel economy for me, and many with towing needs like mine (< 10k). The V6 would be purrrrrrrfect for an F150!

totally agree, what % need 700ftlbs anyways? that should be the flagship engine, the 4.4 the mainstream....any read the fact in the 6.7 tests that on a pure freeway jaunt they hit 29mpg's?????????????????????????????????????? :shades:

Blue you tease....I have also heard on good authority, a 2.0 eco has been shehorned into an f-150.... :stirpot:

Ha ha... why would you need to "shoehorn" a tiny I4 engine into a big engine bay designed to fit 6.2 V8? Now if you are talking about fitting the new Powerstroke V8 into the F-150 then it would require some shoehorn...

Ha ha... why would you need to "shoehorn" a tiny I4 engine into a big engine bay designed to fit 6.2 V8? Now if you are talking about fitting the new Powerstroke V8 into the F-150 then it would require some shoehorn...

perhaps, just perhaps, :stirpot: the width was different along with length......

I agree, a 4.4L diesel would provide pulling power that is comparable to the 6.2L Boss V8, but it would have much better fuel economy. I could see it being a very popular choice for fleet users and personal users who don't quite need the 6.7L.

I dunno, a 5.7L eco-bust engine in an F150?

We'll see.

:hysterical:

This is a TRUCK Market for :censored: sake!

You're archaic mentality was exactly what was sinking Ford just five years ago.

This is not the 1970s. 8 pots is no longer synonymous with power anymore and was never synonymous with fuel efficiency, something that is increasingly important in this day and age.

Old farts like you will either need to adapt or take your old Chevy Big 10 with that 576ci, 156hp, boat anchor of an engine and get lost and let those who can adapt survive. I don't really believe in Social Darwanism but I feel it is appropriate when talking about the auto industry and its die-hards that don't want to see change.

You're archaic mentality was exactly what was sinking Ford just five years ago.

This is not the 1970s. 8 pots is no longer synonymous with power anymore and was never synonymous with fuel efficiency, something that is increasingly important in this day and age.

Old farts like you will either need to adapt or take your old Chevy Big 10 with that 576ci, 156hp, boat anchor of an engine and get lost and let those who can adapt survive. I don't really believe in Social Darwanism but I feel it is appropriate when talking about the auto industry and its die-hards that don't want to see change.

You can post the same thing on the Mustang Forum too.ohsnap.gif

One day we might see one of the promos when you buy a V-8, you will get a free Jitterbug phone and a 8-track tape player with it.reading.gif

I don't really believe in Social Darwanism but I feel it is appropriate when talking about the auto industry and its die-hards that don't want to see change.

Oh, I want to see CHANGE.

But unlike you I'd like it to be a bit more "substantial" than certain political promises, or Eco Bust engines... :doh:

People who buy trucks aren't looking for the flavor of the month here... this is bread and butter to them...

... evidently something someone destined for the welfare office isn't too concerned about... :idea:

Oh, I want to see CHANGE.

But unlike you I'd like it to be a bit more "substantial" than certain political promises, or Eco Bust engines... :doh:

People who buy trucks aren't looking for the flavor of the month here... this is bread and butter to them...

... evidently something someone destined for the welfare office isn't too concerned about... :idea:

please enlighten us on the changes you would suggest...I for one am curious...( and please note, this is NOT a hostile request...just curiousity ).

Edited by Deanh