2012 Ford Explorer

Everything but the grill looks really nice. I can see this Explorer getting in the high 20's since it doesn't look all too heavy compared to a truck based one. But seriously that grill is a bit too unexciting. Seems kinda like if the early 2000's Chevy's chrome bar design evolved differently in the mid 2000's before they got it right with the current clean design. I see a lot of Taurus, as well.

Is the unibody going to be "reinforced" like the Taurus Interceptor? Seeing at the use the same platform it should be all that difficult.

OK, why is Ford bringing the hood down on top of the front quarter panels instead of between them? I didn't like it on the Saturn Vue / Chevy Equinox, I don't like it on the new Super Duty, and I definitely don't like it here on the new Explorer! WTH?? :banghead:

clamshell hood looks great....Lanrover cues everywhere...very nice....even the roofline slopes slightly front to rear ala Landrover Sport...and I wont poo poo the grill till I see it without the blackout treatment....less chrome please ford....lets make it satin this yime ok?

Yeah. This was --------------totally----------------- a lucky happenstance for the spy photographer.

Please. The truck's parked. There's a huge Ford logo on it. The cladding has been stripped off the fascia, and peeled back from the rest of the vehicle.

This was an arranged exclusive. Or my name's not Jose Jimenez.

Oh wait. It's not.

So far it's exactly what I was expecting, and I'm impressed. Looks sharp and 99% of buyers won't care that's it not BOF, but WILL care about the increased efficiency.

As far as interior, I've heard that a 5" LCD in the dash will be standard with the 8" coming with the MyTouch option.

Yeah. This was --------------totally----------------- a lucky happenstance for the spy photographer.

Please. The truck's parked. There's a huge Ford logo on it. The cladding has been stripped off the fascia, and peeled back from the rest of the vehicle.

This was an arranged exclusive. Or my name's not Jose Jimenez.

Strange part to me is that the pics look to be taken in Dearborn at the entrance of Ford's test track off Oakwood Blvd. The area is normally teeming with people and/or security personnel. Hard to believe nobody would notice some guy, during the day, taking pictures of this test vehicle.

Edited by mackinaw

So far it's exactly what I was expecting, and I'm impressed. Looks sharp and 99% of buyers won't care that's it not BOF, but WILL care about the increased efficiency.

As far as interior, I've heard that a 5" LCD in the dash will be standard with the 8" coming with the MyTouch option.

god i hope so. hopefully this becomes the norm.

Strange part to me is that the pics look to be taken in Dearborn at the entrance of Ford's test track off Oakwood Blvd. The area is normally teeming with people and/or security personnel. Hard to believe nobody would notice some guy, during the day, taking pictures of this test vehicle.

hmmm, judged on how accurate your description is, an alibi is requested....

Me either...production starts in early November.

If they hold them until January '11 they can sell it as a '12. I like what I've seen so far. It might keep me in an Explorer if the fuel economy doesn't suck. Especially, if the rear glass opens separately from the liftgate. That is my one complaint about the Flex.

hmmm, judged on how accurate your description is, an alibi is requested....

Well, I admit to standing on my bike so as to look over the test track wall, when I was a kid back in the 60's, to see the "new cars," but I'm innocent this time.......

Though it is amazing what you see parked in the various parking lots that surround the test track. All sorts of cars in camo, cars with different front end clips, you name it. If you're patient, you're almost guaranteed to see something exotic.

Thanks for the geographic tidbit.

That just further reinforces my suspicion that this was a staged deal.

They must have let someone shoot pics of that before they drove onto the track. Nobody's in the truck, f'r cryin' out loud. It's JUST PARKED THERE!!!

Guy driving the truck is probably leaning against a post somewhere off camera drinking coffee. Mmmm coffee.

Looks more like it is across the street from the track entrance (East side of Oakwood Blvd). There are no trees on the West side of Oakwood Blvd from Village Road to Rotunda Drive.

The shot on the flatbed with the vehicle fully covered looks like is was taken on Rotunda Drive, right across from Bldg #3.

These are all "public" areas.

It's better than I expected, especially the body design, but it's totally forgettable and familiar territory for Ford up front. I don't know what to say, but I like the Edge better. It's handsome and perhaps more sophisticated and upscale than the lower Ford designs, but it's definitely not great design. C'mon Ford, give me something to drool over!

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

Well, I admit to standing on my bike so as to look over the test track wall, when I was a kid back in the 60's, to see the "new cars," but I'm innocent this time.......

Though it is amazing what you see parked in the various parking lots that surround the test track. All sorts of cars in camo, cars with different front end clips, you name it. If you're patient, you're almost guaranteed to see something exotic.

During the week day, you can drive west on Village Road from Oakwood Blvd to Rotunda Drive, which is right through the Ford Engineering Campus. There are never any guards during the day. You typically will not see anything "interesting".