2012 Ford Explorer

Had some free time at work this morning to clean up one of the pictures in PS.

Painted the front bumper and A-pillar. Add some Edge wheels to give some depth to the wheels/tires. Added a side mirror from the Edge. Continued the silver body moulding onto the back door. Removed watermark over the doors. Removed various testing stickers and whatnot.

Mind you, I'm no pro, so this is just to give a little more realism to what the truck may look like when Job 1 rolls around.

If I get a chance later I'll build a rear end for it.

post-6726-12696216621864_thumb.jpg

Just to note, it seems the a-pillar is going to be blacked out.

Just to note, it seems the a-pillar is going to be blacked out.

I disagree, blacking out the A-pillar looks fine on the flex with the floating roof, and ONLY works due to a smaller C pillar.....and based on the shots i think it was a Camo attempt....floating at the front only looks out of whack...man, this reminds nme of the LandRover Sport....

...and a side note. I'm feeling it a lot more today. Like Dean said above, getting more of a LR Sport vibe from it. Can't wait to see the production model unveiled.

the painting in of the A pillar and bumper made a drastic difference.....funny, anyone read all the stupid comments on Autioblogs article....

Then fold the seat down.

I'll save my comments on this vehicle until I can see one in person and sit inside it, but so far, I am totally underwhelmed.

Right now I'm just whelmed. I'm hoping to be verywhelmed or maybe even overwhelmed when I see the real thing in person.

I seldom use the third row in my Explorer these days with the kids grown and out. It was a godsend with three pre-teen boys way back when.

the painting in of the A pillar and bumper made a drastic difference.....funny, anyone read all the stupid comments on Autioblogs article....

It sure did. The Explorer has a very different presence than the Edge or the Flex.

The Autoblog comments were true to form. Actually reassuring.

One comment, IIRC, suggested the 3.5 EB would be available. A 365hp Explorer . . . hard on the X-6 and Q-7 market. :)

I see more Escape in the side view than anything - not a bad thing but I was expecting ... more. I can see the PI version of this being very popular with police departments. It will be cheaper, faster, better handling, and much more fuel efficient than the only other pursuit rated SUV: the 2WD Tahoe. My guess is that many PD's will bypass the Taurus PI and straight to the Explorer PI if the AWD system is available with the standard engine.

Will this be a 5 or 7 passenger vehicle?

I disagree, blacking out the A-pillar looks fine on the flex with the floating roof, and ONLY works due to a smaller C pillar.....and based on the shots i think it was a Camo attempt....floating at the front only looks out of whack...man, this reminds nme of the LandRover Sport....

I don't know - it appears to be the same material on the a-pillar as the material that's on the b-pillar, which we pretty much KNOW will be blacked out. I may be wrong, but I still feel the A-pillar will be blacked out.

And is that a bad thing that it reminds you of the RRS?

Thanks for the information. That's too bad. I would like to buy a Ford when it is time to trade in the Grand Marquis, but if I want RWD, which I do, it looks like the Mustang will be the only choice. I guess I'll have to go Japanese or Korean. Ford should have a RWD sedan.

Thanks for the geographic tidbit.

That just further reinforces my suspicion that this was a staged deal.

They must have let someone shoot pics of that before they drove onto the track. Nobody's in the truck, f'r cryin' out loud. It's JUST PARKED THERE!!!

Guy driving the truck is probably leaning against a post somewhere off camera drinking coffee. Mmmm coffee.

I hope that sometime, in the past two days, you've realized that there are two pictures that show the driver climbing out of the cab to put the cover back on (2nd, and 8th).

Also, the truck is parked across a sidewalk, so it could very easily have been that the cover blew off on the street, and the driver pulled into a driveway to put it back on. If so, whoever was responsible for securing the cover has probably already been dressed down.

As to the Explorer, itself, it looks to me like the front fascia isn't finalized, as that one looks more like fiberglass than urethane foam. I hope so, because I like the headlights and grille (at least once it becomes chrome-and-brushed instead of black), while that fascia doesn't really cut it. Overall, I like the look (especially the rear window that isn't Edge-like, as was rumored) and would consider one if I were in the market for a larger vehicle.

You're going to trade in the Grand Marquis on a Lexus IS?

Have fun with that.

... or a GS, or an LS (both of which are quite a bit more $$ than a Grand Marq)

or an Infinity G or M,

or, of course, the Genesis that you so quickly ignored.

Not speaking for Alcibiades, just pointing out that there's more than one RWD "Japanese or Korean" sedan. Not to mention, the multitude of Japanese RWD SUVs.

I also agree with him that Ford (especially Lincoln) should have at least one RWD sedan.

Edited by syrtran

... or a GS, or an LS

Just picked the cheapest RWD Japanese sedan. Maybe the G is cheaper. I don't know, and judging by the sales figures, not very many people care either.

Frankly, I think blind devotion to RWD, such that you would consider an INFINITI G as a logical successor to a flippin' GRAND MARQUIS, is ridiculous.

Edited by RichardJensen

Just picked the cheapest RWD Japanese sedan. Maybe the G is cheaper. I don't know, and judging by the sales figures, not very many people care either.

Frankly, I think blind devotion to RWD, such that you would consider an INFINITI G as a logical successor to a flippin' GRAND MARQUIS, is ridiculous.

Well, personally, I wouldn't pick one as a successor to a Grand Marquis , but I'd sure pick one over it. ;)

(I like curves - see: SVO, Probe GT) (Note 2: One of these isn't RWD)

It always cracks me up that people would consider a car from a brand they don't know how to spell the name of.

I hear Keya is coming out with an RWD sedan as well.

Sorry, self-taught touch-typist - the 'i' doesn't fall readily to hand when you're not thinking about it.

Besides, I spelled it right. The car company spells it wrong. :P :D

I can also spell discombobulation, and supercalifragelisticexpialidocious without looking at my hands.

BTW. until I change my sig, you should be able to see that I once owned an Americanized KIA 121.

P.S. I also know the proper pronunciation of Murciélago - it's mir.see.EL.ah.go, not mir.see.uh.LAH.go, like all the talking heads (I'm looking at YOU, Clarkson) say it..