Mercury's Fate Anounced Today

Most every Lincoln dealership I've seen attached to a Ford dealer has its own reception/waiting area. I don't expect that to change. In fact, I would expect it to be enforced even more vigorously moving forward as the demise of Mercury frees up resources to re-invent the Lincoln brand.

The F-L-M dealer right up the street from me doesn't. For the last year or so - the only L-M on the lot was a Lincoln in the main showroom. Now they have another Lincoln outside - so things must be looking up. Of course it's stuck under the USED CAR sign. If the logos weren't on the front of the building, there would be no evidence that it sells L-M.

lets see:

1. Refreshed MKS

2. Redone MKZ in 2013/14

3.MKX this year

4.Escape/Kuga Crossover

5. Navigator update

6. C-sized Sedan?

7. RWD Flagship? :D hyper.gif

Being as how they didn't announce anything about RWD....I can't get excited about it. This SHOULD be what #1 was, but instead Ford rather do everything on the cheap. Those that do not learn from their mistakes are doomed to repeat them.

Being as how they didn't announce anything about RWD....I can't get excited about it. This SHOULD be what #1 was, but instead Ford rather do everything on the cheap. Those that do not learn from their mistakes are doomed to repeat them.

Makes no sense to give out your product plans (besides updates to existing product lines) that are more then 2 years out.

but instead Ford rather do everything on the cheap.

If you're mortgaged to the hilt and not making enough money to cover your monthly expenses - do you waste money on a $40 steak or do you buy a $1 hamburger to get you by?

There is NO possible way for Ford to recoup the cost of a new RWD platform the last 2 years. There simply isn't enough volume in that market segment.

This announcement means that Lincoln is now able to pursue exactly what you want.

Ford should make a Lincoln RWD sedan from an Aussie Falcon platform in my opinion, and price it right to make $$$$.

Per the press release, there are only 300 L-M dealers now, and how many Caddy and Lexus dealers are there? Lincoln only dealers can now concentrate on luxury buyers, the way other makes do it. No need to have a Tracer like car in same showroom. Just as there are no Scions in Lexus stores. Since the luxury imports are bringing out C class cars, Lincoln should also. Buick is now a lux make, and it will have compact.

Edited by 630land

*cough*DEW98*cough*

I think your problem is that they did learn.

so let me get this correct: the Lincoln LS failed because it was RWD???

Or did it fail because internal beuracracy at FoMoCo resulted in an expensive platform from the get-go coupled with a product lauch that was never class leading to begin with and was left for Dead almost from the get-go? But I get it now, it had nothing to do with poor execution, management, and that often-emulated-never-duplicated Ford Bean Counter philosophy? RWD doesn't work for Lincoln. The MKZ/zephler are the idols of the industry and Ford has re-written the history books on how to build a luxury sedan people want to buy. Gotcha!!! Thanks for clearing that up!

Ford should make a Lincoln RWD sedan from an Aussie Falcon platform in my opinion, and price it right to make $$$$.

Per the press release, there are only 300 L-M dealers now, and how many Caddy and Lexus dealers are there? Lincoln only dealers can now concentrate on luxury buyers, the way other makes do it. No need to have a Tracer like car in same showroom. Just as there are no Scions in Lexus stores. Since the luxury imports are bringing out C class cars, Lincoln should also. Buick is now a lux make, and it will have compact.

there is a faw in this argument. Profit margin is based on the simple philoshophy that you sell for $A and it cost you $B to make. The goal is to lower $B as much as possible while increase $A. How does this work when your entire focus is based on price? Lincoln is marketed as affordable luxury. So they sell cheaper than there competition. As such, they have to now build for cheaper so they can somehow pull profit. But it's less profit than your competitors, because you have to lower your margine to compete.

Lincolns don't command enough margine alone to be profitable for a standalone dealer based on the current volume. So you either gotta increase margine or add volume. It's hard to add margine when you compete on margine at the same time. Granted you can use manufacturing saavy and other cost cutting endeavors but that will only get you so far. So if you can't increase margine you sell more. But again, this is lux car market. It's not based on volume. And Lincoln is struggling with low volume as it is, so volume isn't the answer.

If Lincoln dealers are going to survive standalone then Lincoln needs to move up market. That means abanding the current strategy and going heads up with the market leaders.

I believe that is stand alone L-M dealers, not total L-M dealers. If memory serves, there are somewhere around 1500 total, meaning about 1200 are F-L-M dealers.

Let them keep putting their eggs in the lincoln basket. i dont have a problem with lincoln but it doesnt have any real brand awareness, people still just think of the town car and the MKS and MKT made no splash in the industry.

Lets face it, they are basically in the same shape Mercury was with two viable cars MKZ/MKX. I really doubt Lincoln is going to compete directly with Lexus/Acura but i wont hate too much , let them try maybe the MKS can turn into somthing good.

Let them keep putting their eggs in the lincoln basket. i dont have a problem with lincoln but it doesnt have any real brand awareness, people still just think of the town car and the MKS and MKT made no splash in the industry.

Lets face it, they are basically in the same shape Mercury was with two viable cars MKZ/MKX. I really doubt Lincoln is going to compete directly with Lexus/Acura but i wont hate too much , let them try maybe the MKS can turn into somthing good.

they NEED a Halo car to draw attention to the marque.....so here goes, RWD, 3.7 eco 400 plus hp 2 door coupe with dramatic styling and BIG bragging numbers....sound familar? MKR anyone.....

Mercury is just getting in the way.

As with all former holdings, it is a distraction.

Take a fully loaded, top-of-the-line Fusion and put it beside a MkZ. Where does the Milan fit in between?

Time for Ford to focus on fewer and better. It is the new nature of the auto marketplace.

• Like 1

Mercury is just getting in the way.

As with all former holdings, it is a distraction.

Take a fully loaded, top-of-the-line Fusion and put it beside a MkZ. Where does the Milan fit in between?

Time for Ford to focus on fewer and better. It is the new nature of the auto marketplace.

got my vote J.

they NEED a Halo car to draw attention to the marque.....so here goes, RWD, 3.7 eco 400 plus hp 2 door coupe with dramatic styling and BIG bragging numbers....sound familar? MKR anyone.....

IMHO, they should take the Mercury budget and bring out an MK Z with the SHO powertrain.

They should also develop an AWD transmission that can take 500-600 hp.

Then there could be an MK Z RS, with 500+ hp, and giant Brembos. :)

IMHO, they should take the Mercury budget and bring out an MK Z with the SHO powertrain.

they also need to up the ante on styling, as of right now they are "nice"......they NEED DRAMATIC...and that spells halo....

got my vote J.

It would have to make selling them easier, wouldn't it?

5 trim levels of Fusion,, from S through to Titanium.

Maybe 2 levels of Lincoln trim (Mercedes does this) called "Classic" and "Premium" (or whatever the mktg department comes up with)

2 models with any level of luxury available between them.

It would have to make selling them easier, wouldn't it?

5 trim levels of Fusion,, from S through to Titanium.

Maybe 2 levels of Lincoln trim (Mercedes does this) called "Classic" and "Premium" (or whatever the mktg department comes up with)

2 models with any level of luxury available between them.

actually they dont need 5 trim levels....3 is fine....my issue with ford for the longest time was they had Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, Volvo, Jaguar Aston and Landrover.....I dont think during that time a truly landmark product was released ( barring certain halo vehicles ) because the talent pool was spread too thinly over 7 differing vehicle brands....this fine tuning and simplification could/ should/ I hope lead to some product we can be proud of and which we all hope can be considered world class....so, in my eyes, this "streamlining" is a good thing....

dont be surprized if something similar rears its head...there has been a certain mule along the very lines you mentioned........ 9 and it was referred to as a "beast" )....