The latest Explorer teaser pic from Facebook

hey no offense meant in the slightest...and you are correct...they buy what they can afford...then come here and bitch about the car they actually wanted but couldnt...LMAO!....and I will apologize for the next coment which could come off as sexist....but I see a LOT of gentlemen steppingWAY over their boundaries to appese the Female taht leads him around by his testicles..... :ohsnap:

oh look...touched a nerve on someone...I got voted down...YEHAH! To whom it may concern...I veiw those as medals of honesty... :shades:

Edited by Deanh

Still not feeling it. I wouldn't want a supposed rugged vehicle to use too similar of a grille design to the Taurus. Those headlamps and front bumper still scream car to me. The hood does look a little intriguing. Overall, I'm still feeling its Fords version of a Subaru Outback.

The only thing "rugged" about the vast majority of SUVs these days is the ride height. The Explorer appears to have that covered. The Explorer has been a soft-roader for nearly a decade now. I think any suggestions that it is "rugged" have long gone out the window already. Think Traverse vs Blazer.

• Like 1

funny trend happens here on BON...apparently the ONLY way a vehcile can even be gin to be titled 'rugged:" requires the pre-requisite body on Frame construction....kinda hilarious how some are stuck in the Dark Ages....applies to the Panthers as well....embrace progress I say, and theres NO doubt in my mind this Explorers off road capacity will be head and sholders above ANY prev model Explorer.....

• Like 1

The only thing "rugged" about the vast majority of SUVs these days is the ride height. The Explorer appears to have that covered. The Explorer has been a soft-roader for nearly a decade now. I think any suggestions that it is "rugged" have long gone out the window already. Think Traverse vs Blazer.

All your comments are accurate.

But there seem to be many people here who believe it has "rugged" looks and will be capable off-road. If you think the Taurus looks "rugged" and driving on a dirt/gravel road is "rugged", I guess they must be correct.

funny trend happens here on BON...apparently the ONLY way a vehcile can even be gin to be titled 'rugged:" requires the pre-requisite body on Frame construction....kinda hilarious how some are stuck in the Dark Ages....applies to the Panthers as well....embrace progress I say, and theres NO doubt in my mind this Explorers off road capacity will be head and sholders above ANY prev model Explorer.....

Again, who's saying it needs a BOF to be rugged? Problem is a lot of its design cues, FWD/AWD setup and being built on the Taurus/Flex platform for a few. Tell me exactly what street queen CUV's use the same platform as the Wrangler again? How about AWD or FWD in a Wrangler?

Being new and has better on-road manners means progress in the soccer mom dept. Doesn't mean progress in all depts. And I highly doubt, even with this Terrain Management system, that this Explorer will be better, let alone head/shoulders, off-road than the 1st & 2nd Gen Explorer.

So if uni-body is progress, why don't we have small, mid and full-size pickups running on them for their rugged capability? Oh yeah, there is one, the Ridgeline, which will be making its fair well salute very soon.

Edited by V8-X

All your comments are accurate.

But there seem to be many people here who believe it has "rugged" looks and will be capable off-road. If you think the Taurus looks "rugged" and driving on a dirt/gravel road is "rugged", I guess they must be correct.

Again, who's saying it needs a BOF to be rugged? Problem is a lot of its design cues, FWD/AWD setup and being built on the Taurus/Flex platform for a few. Tell me exactly what street queen CUV's use the same platform as the Wrangler again? How about AWD or FWD in a Wrangler?

Just because it's new and has better on-road manners on mean progress in the soccer mom dept. Doesn't mean progress in all depts. And I highly doubt, even with this Terrain Management system, that this Explorer will be better, let alone head/shoulders, off-road than the 1st & 2nd Gen Explorer.

So if uni-body is progress, why don't we have small, mid and full-size pickups running on them for their rugged capability? Oh yeah, there is one, the Ridgeline, which will be making its fair well salute very soon.

oh, theres the OTHER fallback...FWD.....I'm keeping my judgement to myself until i actually READ or have some hands on...and i see no reason to doubt Fords direction...and do you actually want to live with a Wranglers ride and drive habits on a day to day basis...along with its creature comforts and capacity to seat 7?...ahem...two different beasts V8...NOT a valid comparison....Unibody pickups may come in time...BUT, trucks are all about payload...so thats not a valid comparison either....this type of vehicle suits unibody a hell of a lot more than a pickup...and seems the Grand Cheerokee thinks the same.....so, my jurys out, Im not going to be tempted to speculate and draw conclusions whilley based on pwersonal bias....if designers didnt think outside the box we would all still be driving model T's....

Nope. Not even close. Better.

IMO.

I find it odd that Ford will spend money on the Raptor that is primarily and off road vehicle or is capable of it, but will not do a small Bronco to compete with Wrangler. Ford is just giving that market away. They showed the concept that received great feedback, but then nothing. They could base the Bronco off an existing platform in order to save money.

I find it odd that Ford will spend money on the Raptor that is primarily and off road vehicle or is capable of it, but will not do a small Bronco to compete with Wrangler. Ford is just giving that market away. They showed the concept that received great feedback, but then nothing. They could base the Bronco off an existing platform in order to save money.

Ford would likely be as successful breaking back into the Jeep market as Dodge has been re-entering the pony car wars with the Challenger. It's tough to come back after being gone for so long. I'd be for a new Bronco perhaps, but I don't see what platform they'd use at this point? At least the Challenger can split its costs with the other LX vehicles.

Edited by NickF1011

Which existing platform?

oh, theres the OTHER fallback...FWD.....I'm keeping my judgement to myself until i actually READ or have some hands on...and i see no reason to doubt Fords direction...and do you actually want to live with a Wranglers ride and drive habits on a day to day basis...along with its creature comforts and capacity to seat 7?...ahem...two different beasts V8...NOT a valid comparison....Unibody pickups may come in time...BUT, trucks are all about payload...so thats not a valid comparison either....this type of vehicle suits unibody a hell of a lot more than a pickup...and seems the Grand Cheerokee thinks the same.....so, my jurys out, Im not going to be tempted to speculate and draw conclusions whilley based on pwersonal bias....if designers didnt think outside the box we would all still be driving model T's....

OK, explain to me this. If you have it in 4WD, why do you care if it is FWD or RWD biased. It makes no difference! It is all in how it is calibrated.

lol....nah, i just know for a fact different people have difference in stylistic ...and THAT is the main reason one buys one over another...more so than capability OR needs.....we live in an image based society Blackie....otherwise explain why people buy two door versions of a 4 door sedan...answer...to look more sporty or they prefer the styling....Flex, Edge and now Explorer all look entirely different and will appeal to different crowds....Explorer has a "tougher" image...

Gee Dean, maybe you can convince Ford to actually build two different size trucks in the US then. Well, maybe three if you count the SD. :rolleyes:

OK, explain to me this. If you have it in 4WD, why do you care if it is FWD or RWD biased. It makes no difference! It is all in how it is calibrated.

It makes a difference if you are trying to traverse a slippery slope and the spinning front tires are pulling the front of the vehicle down the hill when you want to go up. My old Bronco is set up so I can run in rear wheel drive only, front wheel drive only or all wheel drive (4x4) and I can do it in either high range or low range. Now that is a truly off-road capable vehicle, something the Explorer was never intended to be, regardless of which generation you are referring to.

Tires also make huge difference in a vehicle's off-road capability. Witness the tires on the Raptor. You will never be able to mount 35 inch diameter tires on an Explorer.

I am not saying the new Explorer will not be an awesome vehicle for what it is intended. But it will never be a truly awesome off-road vehicle. Electronic traction devices can only get you so far.

Gee Dean, maybe you can convince Ford to actually build two different size trucks in the US then. Well, maybe three if you count the SD. :rolleyes:

Blks....I have been pining for something size wize between the Ranger and F-150 for as long as i can remember...F-100 anyone....2.0 eco or 3.7 V6?.....