2011 Ford Explorer unveiled

I really like the styling and I'm a little surprised by the 3.5L's slight bump in power to 290hp. The interior is probably the best part to me, it looks even nicer than the new Edge and Taurus inside. Overall, I'm really impressed.

Edit: I did find one thing to complain about, Limited models come standard with 20 inch wheels. I don't want 20 inch wheels, I want 18 inch wheels. I guess as long as I can configure an XLT to the level of equipment I like it will only be a minor issue.

Edited by atvman

Ford knocked the ball out of the park on styling. I particularly like the creases and angles on the hatch and rear quarter panels. I was concerned it would look too much like the Edge and come off as a longish Edge, but the two will look like very distinct entries. Now, I'm just hoping it isn't as expensive as it looks! Good job, Ford.

I thought I'd be disappointed after all the hype, but I must say I like it. It's modern, yet you can still tell it's an Explorer even if it had no badges. I think the Edge is better looking, but I do like this.

I think the grill on the Edge is a bit over done IMO

The Explorer looks nice, but it sorta looks bloated to me...but i still like it. The white doesn't do much for me and the red color doesn't either...

Impressed so far. The exterior looks great and is recognizable as a Ford and as an Explorer. The interior looks out of this world nice! :happy feet:

My only complaint isn't an Explorer one. It's about that Sony head unit. Sorry, I just think it looks kinda ugly.

And after the unveiling, I still don't feel it.

The front clip/bumper makes if look like it has a huge Jay Leno chin or fat lip look. Still not fond of the headlight assemblies. Taillights while unique, look overdone. The grille design while on a Taurus looks good, I'm not too fond of it on this vehicle. I do like the hood design. Still see some Acadia/Exquinox style in the profile, which I'm not fond of. The interior looks nice, but not fond of the gauge cluster. And why the Sony head unit? Looks a little out of place and Sony doesn't make the best head units. And what the heck is up with those 3rd row seat headrests???

Too me, it fits right in with the rest of the CUV crowd. A few items here/there to make it unique, but nothing truly exciting.

The exterior looks great and is recognizable as a Ford and as an Explorer.

And exactly how is it recognizable as an Explorer, other than the emblems? It has no resemblance to any prior Explorers.

Edited by V8-X

I really like the styling and I'm a little surprised by the 3.5L's slight bump in power to 290hp. The interior is probably the best part to me, it looks even nicer than the new Edge and Taurus inside. Overall, I'm really impressed.

Edit: I did find one thing to complain about, Limited models come standard with 20 inch wheels. I don't want 20 inch wheels, I want 18 inch wheels. I guess as long as I can configure an XLT to the level of equipment I like it will only be a minor issue.

Interior looks similar to the MKX on the limited models. :hyper:

The front clip/bumper makes if look like it has a huge Jay Leno chin or fat lip look. Still not fond of the headlight assemblies. Taillights while unique, look overdone. The grille design while on a Taurus looks good, I'm not too fond of it on this vehicle. I do like the hood design. Still see some Acadia/Exquinox style in the profile, which I'm not fond of. The interior looks nice, but not fond of the gauge cluster. And why the Sony head unit? Looks a little out of place and Sony doesn't make the best head units. And what the heck is up with those 3rd row seat headrests???

Too me, it fits right in with the rest of the CUV crowd. A few items here/there to make it unique, but nothing truly exciting.

And exactly how is it recognizable as an Explorer, other than the emblems? It has no resemblance to any prior Explorers.

The only design unique to the orignal Explorer was the blacked rear pillars, which disappeared for part of its life in 1995. Otherwise, the only way for it to look exactly like the original Explorer would be to break out the ruler. It definitely evokes design spirit of the original Explorer while bringing it into the modern era. I mean what car looks more like the Explorer; the Edge, Flex, or the Escape? I don't think anybody would not recognize this as an Explorer, and it hopefully won't vanish into the background like the Explorer did.

This is one Ford product that leaves me completely confident, they will sell every last one of these.

The only design unique to the orignal Explorer was the blacked rear pillars, which disappeared for part of its life in 1995. Otherwise, the only way for it to look exactly like the original Explorer would be to break out the ruler. It definitely evokes design spirit of the original Explorer while bringing it into the modern era. I mean what car looks more like the Explorer; the Edge, Flex, or the Escape? I don't think anybody would not recognize this as an Explorer, and it hopefully won't vanish into the background like the Explorer did.

This is one Ford product that leaves me completely confident, they will sell every last one of these.

Nick stated it recognizable as an Explorer. I don't see it. While the 1st & 2nd gen hand many similarities, the 3rd gen only kep the boxy design intact. I guess if you had to select a vehicle out of the Ford lineup that looks most like an Explorer, this would be it. But take off the emblems off and ask your average joe who makes this and what model it is, I bet you receive very few responses of Explorer.

Glad you and others are confident. While it has it's features, I don't find this Explorer nearly as appealing as everyone else.

Nick stated it recognizable as an Explorer. I don't see it. While the 1st & 2nd gen hand many similarities, the 3rd gen only kep the boxy design intact. I guess if you had to select a vehicle out of the Ford lineup that looks most like an Explorer, this would be it. But take off the emblems off and ask your average joe who makes this and what model it is, I bet you receive very few responses of Explorer.

Glad you and others are confident. While it has it's features, I don't find this Explorer nearly as appealing as everyone else.

could be worse...they could have just left it alone....................will be interesting gauging how it is accepted and how sales compare to the more "polarizing" Flex...me, i have an inkling as to whome wins THAT race...

And what would you have them to do, leave it the same or close and expect the sales to miraculously increase......It is a modern interpretation of an Explorer IMO. I like it and I am pretty confident it will sell very well compared to the outgoing model. Of course styling is subjective, but I doubt many won't agree this is a nicely done vehicle.

BTW, looking at an Explorer today at the gas station, specifically the rear pillars, the 2011 captures the side profile styling pretty closely. So yes, it does look like an Explorer.

Sounds like you just had your mind made up you weren't gonna like it, no matter what. Maybe you're put off by it being unibody, IDK.

Does anyone else think that when a car has a visible door seam (top, above the window), it looks cheap?

No....my $45K F150 has that and I don't think I ever gave it a thought....heck, so does a 2009 MB E-class or an Audi Q7, hardly cheap looking vehicles.

Edited by twmalonehunter

Ford knocked the ball out of the park on styling. I particularly like the creases and angles on the hatch and rear quarter panels. I was concerned it would look too much like the Edge and come off as a longish Edge, but the two will look like very distinct entries. Now, I'm just hoping it isn't as expensive as it looks! Good job, Ford.

The base model will be priced at $28,100, $1,000 cheaper than the present Explorer. But if you play the option list, I'm sure you can run it up in price much more than present Explorer and of course less incentives on a new vehicle.

The base model will be priced at $28,100, $1,000 cheaper than the present Explorer. But if you play the option list, I'm sure you can run it up in price much more than present Explorer and of course less incentives on a new vehicle.

It is possible to option a 2010 Explorer Limited V8 AWD well over $46,000, so the new one isn't that far off, especially when you consider the options on the 2011 that aren't available on the 2010 (MyFord Touch, Terrain Management, etc...)

Now, you're right about incentives. The current one has had some pretty good offers recently.

And what would you have them to do, leave it the same or close and expect the sales to miraculously increase......It is a modern interpretation of an Explorer IMO. I like it and I am pretty confident it will sell very well compared to the outgoing model. Of course styling is subjective, but I doubt many won't agree this is a nicely done vehicle.

BTW, looking at an Explorer today at the gas station, specifically the rear pillars, the 2011 captures the side profile styling pretty closely. So yes, it does look like an Explorer.

Sounds like you just had your mind made up you weren't gonna like it, no matter what. Maybe you're put off by it being unibody, IDK.

I will second that....if you look carefully at the rear profile area of the vehicle, it does evoke design cues of the present Explorer and does look familiar even if the front and back are completely different. So it has a rear side profile of the Explorer and a muscular stance of the Taurus. Actually, it's very easy to see that design theme.

No....my $45K F150 has that and I don't think I ever gave it a thought....heck, so does a 2009 MB E-class or an Audi Q7, hardly cheap looking vehicles.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the case of the MB and the Audi, the window frames are chromed (or made dark) so that the gap isn't really visible, even though you know it's there. The F150's is at least less obvious (the window frame is thinner).

Not saying the Explorer is like this, but the most obvious examples (of the visible gap) I can think of are the Cobalt or the Caliber/Journey.

Obvously the presence of the gap isn't a concern for a dark color, but it's not attractive (to me) on the lighter color. I'd have preferred a similar treatment as was done with the Ranger or the F150 (from two generations ago) where the window frame curves up into the roof making it less visible.

I will second that....if you look carefully at the rear profile area of the vehicle, it does evoke design cues of the present Explorer and does look familiar even if the front and back are completely different. So it has a rear side profile of the Explorer and a muscular stance of the Taurus. Actually, it's very easy to see that design theme.

I have to agree...once I saw the side profile it screamed Explorer to me..with a bit of '10 Taurus side scupling put in.

Old Explorer

Ford_Explorer_113636_20080803.jpg

'11 Explorer

post-11015-093903100 1280199404_thumb.jpg

Edited by silvrsvt

Not bad for a suv. I'm not a fan of the grill at all and the tail end is a bit of a mess--a weak spot for not only Ford, but many car companies these days. The taillights are fine, it's the actually tailgate that is bad.

I will have to see it in person, but the new Taurus IMO has the best rear end of any vehicle on the market. If it even comes close to that, the Explorer will be pleasant when behind it on road. And it's awesome behind a new Mustang with those sequential turn signals on the taillights. Ford is picking it up IMO on its designing of the rear of its vehicles.

Does anyone else think that when a car has a visible door seam (top, above the window), it looks cheap?

Overall the vehicle looks decent, but that visible (top) door seam hurts the look.

I think it depends on the vehicle. Some vehicles it looks ok, others it doesn't. In this case, I think it's ok. I do like it when the window frames are 'hidden.'

Many of the German vehicles have very thin window frames, such as the Porsche Cayenne:

2009_porsche_cayenne_turbo_s_7_cd_gallery.jpg

The window/door frame is NOT the chrome strip surrounding all the windows, but is rather the thin black strips just between the windows and pillars/chrome window surrounds.

Compare that to a vehicle like the Panamera:

112_0903_16z+2010_porsche_panamera+side_view.jpg

Where the door frame IS the chrome strip surrounding the windows.

Here's the Q7 as mentioned:

audi-q7-v12-spy-image-2_59.jpg

In this case, the door frame includes the chrome strip, but also a small part above the chrome piece. In this case, your eye is almost 'distracted' enough by the chrome strip to where you don't really notice the door frame.