Windstars Recalled

Just how far back can recalls go? Is Nissan going to recall all Datsun Z's for rust problems too? How about the Honda CVCC? Those have pretty much all rusted into the ground by now.

The Windstars aren't that old, and it's a safety issue affecting the rear AXLE.

I mentioned this a few months ago:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39309-windstar-axle/page__p__615535__hl__windstar__fromsearch__1#entry615535

Ford is doing the right thing here.

The Windstars aren't that old, and it's a safety issue affecting the rear AXLE.

I mentioned this a few months ago:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39309-windstar-axle/page__p__615535__hl__windstar__fromsearch__1#entry615535

Ford is doing the right thing here.

I'm not saying the recall is wrong. It's good to see them stepping up and covering it. I'm just wondering how far manufacturers are required to go back to fix things like corrosion, that will happen on any vehicle eventually.

I'm just wondering how far manufacturers are required to go back to fix things like corrosion, that will happen on any vehicle eventually.

That's an excellent question. I didn't see any specific limitation in Title 49, Chapter 301 of the U.S. code, but I don't know for sure if there is one.

Regarding corrosion, NHTSA will not institute recalls for "nonstructural or body panel rust", as the agency does not deem that to be safety related. In the case of the Windstar, Ford issued a recall due to the defect being categorized as "Critical vehicle components that break, fall apart, or separate from the vehicle, causing potential loss of vehicle control or injury to persons inside or outside the vehicle" by NHTSA standards.

I'm not saying the recall is wrong. It's good to see them stepping up and covering it. I'm just wondering how far manufacturers are required to go back to fix things like corrosion, that will happen on any vehicle eventually.

Here is an interesting idea....the Windstar is an older, dated design. By offering a recall, it gets these potential customers into the dealership and instead of getting it fixed....they might just trade her in on a new vehicle. If only 10% took that route, there is another 46K+- sales right in the door, and the customers are seeing that Ford is stepping up and taking care of them...I see this as a win-win for Ford....

Here is an interesting idea....the Windstar is an older, dated design. By offering a recall, it gets these potential customers into the dealership and instead of getting it fixed....they might just trade her in on a new vehicle. If only 10% took that route, there is another 46K+- sales right in the door, and the customers are seeing that Ford is stepping up and taking care of them...I see this as a win-win for Ford....

I imagine most people with 8+year old Windstars aren't the type of people to be buying new cars, either because they don't have the money, or they have too much financial sense :)

Model T? How about Model A? Along those lines, the Woodward Avenue Action Committee is trying to buy the old Model T factory in Highland Park, MI and restore it to its original condition, or at least parts of it. An area of the factory floor that built 8,000 of them/day and the Administration offices where Henry and his son Edsel hung out. It also wants to put a Visitors Center in as part of the Administration buiding. Most of the factory is still being used by various companies.

They are getting old. In the rust states they are really getting old. We are going on 2011 MY.

For customers I am glad they are covering it.

However, I have yet to see any vehicle from salt states that isn't all rotted out by the time its 7-10 years old.

My vehicle is a 2002 paid for Taurus and not a rust spot in sight. Paint is almost like new and I live in Metro Detroit, MI with lots of salt. Now I have noticed 2000-2002 Tauruses with rust popping through on rear fender wheel lip area. And 1996-1999 Tauruses seem to rust out on rocker panels underneath the plastic shroud Ford uses there. The plastic cap just seems to fall off as metal underneath rusts. So far so good with my Taurus and it was built April, 2002.

I imagine most people with 8+year old Windstars aren't the type of people to be buying new cars, either because they don't have the money, or they have too much financial sense :)

Why not? A lot of people buy new, drive their vehicle until it has 100k or more miles, then buy another new one. Exactly what we do. I had my previous truck 7 years before buying my new F150. We had our Escape for 6 years before getting our Flex, and would have held onto it for a couple more years if the 3rd child hadn't been on the way.

I'm planning about 2013-14 for a new truck, in which caes I will have had my current F150 for 8-9 years, and about 2015 for something to replace the Flex (it'll have 100k+ then and be 7 years old). I HATE car payments...just 2 left on the Flex!

Edited by fordmantpw

They are getting old. In the rust states they are really getting old. We are going on 2011 MY.

For customers I am glad they are covering it.

However, I have yet to see any vehicle from salt states that isn't all rotted out by the time its 7-10 years old.

It isn't a recall for cosmetic body cancer/rust rot out.

It's recall for a REAR AXLE that is breaking.

The recall for the Windstar – which is no longer in production – applies to vehicles in 21 states, the District of Columbia and Canada where road salt corrosion is more common.

Ford dealers at no charge to customers will reinforce the axles of the affected vehicles as parts are available. If it’s determined the axle can’t be reinforced, it will be replaced as soon as parts are available. Ford will provide for rental vehicles for customers until the rear axle of their vehicle has been replaced.

I'm no expert but regardless of whether the vehicle is in a "Salt State" or not, if anyone had concerns about their Windstar, I'm sure dealers would carry out an inspection and confirm whether the vehicle is safe or not.

It isn't a recall for cosmetic body cancer/rust rot out.

It's recall for a REAR AXLE that is breaking.

I realize the axle is breaking due to the fact it has a channel design which locks in salt slurry. My point is that springs rott out, so do rotors, brake lines etc.... Its not uncommon for a 10 year old vehicle to be rotted out if from up north. It really doesn't matter the manufacturer. I have seen floor pans rotted away, and subframes about in two.

For the customer, I am glad they are voluntarily recalling these vehicles. However, what happens when the brake lines rott out on the same vehicle? Ford supposed to recall that?

I realize the axle is breaking due to the fact it has a channel design which locks in salt slurry. My point is that springs rot out, so do rotors, brake lines etc.... Its not uncommon for a 10 year old vehicle to be rotted out if from up north. It really doesn't matter the manufacturer. I have seen floor pans rotted away, and sub frames about in two.

For the customer, I am glad they are voluntarily recalling these vehicles. However, what happens when the brake lines rot out on the same vehicle? Ford supposed to recall that?

The recall is for the axle........how does that turn into a brake maintenance issue? I'm from Minnesota originally......I've seen my share of rust! This is a design flaw that affects safety.

Mine missed the recall by 2 months! Thank goodness!! They are having to pull the effected ones off the road! At least 60 days until parts may become available. Ford is only paying $40.00 a day towards a rental vehicle.

If they find a defective vehicle it would be prudent to take it off the road. Imagine the liability if they turn a cracked axle back to the road AND it had an accident.

$40.00 is about right, would you expect an upgrade or two?

If done with far in advance reservation and some AAA discount, I've gotten them for $19 a day.

I'm assuming that the $40 forddaughter quoted is inclusive of taxes and ancillary charges. The $19 base rate can balloon to double that, depending on location. Then again, most car rental outlets at or near dealerships don't have the ridiculous customer facility charges and "concession recovery" fees common at airport locations.

Hopefully $40/day will cover the costs of a rental vehicle comparable in size and functionality to the Windstar for affected customers.

Edited by aneekr