2012 Honda Civic Interior Spied

PREMiERdrum

2_w_CivicSedan_BP_sep10_priddy1-thumb-717x452.jpg

The 2012 Honda Civic is out and about and it was only a matter of time before we got a good shot of its interior. What we see here, despite a new look, is the same-ol' same ol' from Honda. Split-level dash with the lower portion dominated by a large tachometer, an upper level with speedometer, trip computer, etc.

LINK - Edmunds

For comparison...

Focus:

12-ford-focussedan-20.jpg

Cruze:

2011ChevyCruzeinterior.jpg

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Hate to say, it does look a lot easier to use for the driver then the other two. Doesn't make up for the fact it is ugly.

As long as the Focus is equipped with MyFord Touch, the center stack is all redundant anyway. It doesn't get much easier than telling the car what to do!

"Play Artist Joe Cocker"

"Set temperature to 72"

"Change Ambient Lighting Color to Blue"

"Add FordBuyer to ignore list"

• Like 1

As long as the Focus is equipped with MyFord Touch, the center stack is all redundant anyway. It doesn't get much easier than telling the car what to do!

"Play Artist Joe Cocker"

"Set temperature to 72"

"Change Ambient Lighting Color to Blue"

"Add FordBuyer to ignore list"

Haha!

Man what is up with Honda? They seem to have totally lost their way styling wise! That Dash looks like its out of the 1980s!

I can't believe Honda is keeping that annoying double tier instrument panel. Honda is truly becoming the AMC of 2011 market. Not in sales yet, but give them time if their styling keeps getting weirder and weirder. While Honda continues its weirded out theme, Hyundai/Kia is coming up fast with much better designs and almost becoming the Honda of old.

Man what is up with Honda? They seem to have totally lost their way styling wise! That Dash looks like its out of the 1980s!

Exactly my thoughts.

Doesn't look really bad, but doesn't look good either. Just has an '80s/90's retro feel. Which isn't the best in my opinion.

I agree, it has an 80s feel. The gauge is dominated with a tach, which to me makes no sense, might as well throw it on the top tier and make that digital too. The middle dash seems to be canted towards the driver...good luck on the passenger trying to enter info on the Navigation is so equiped. But for the Honda loyal, they will keep drinking the water and think it's all rainbows and unicorns.

• Like 1

It looks better than the current model, to be sure, but I agree they needed the regular speedometer back. At least they're making better use of the top tier by adding in more info.

I don't see how it looks any better. All of the visible switchgear looks to be a step backwards from the current one.

I prefer the styling, at least. It's not really possible to judge quality or ergonomics from a photo shot through the window of a partially camouflaged car.

The only camo I see is on the steering wheel's Honda badge. That said, it's not possible to tell quality/ergonomics from any picture, really...

I am a Ford and Honda fan and this is my opinion.

I think that to "get" Honda you have to have owned a few and maybe gotten your hands dirty with them. Some of the newer models look pretty quirky and that doesn't help win new fans but Honda's work exquisitely and simply. They really are designed and built with passion. I'm pretty sure Honda has zero intentions of being the biggest manufacturer. I think thats where these striking designs come from, they don't have to be "beige" because they aren't chasing the #1 manufacturer number. Keep the fans happy and draw in a few curious new people.

I relate Honda cars to Pioneer home theatre electronics if that helps people understand what I'm talking about. But if you aren't an enthusiast you probably think I'm just a blathering fool.

)

I am a Ford and Honda fan and this is my opinion.

I think that to "get" Honda you have to have owned a few and maybe gotten your hands dirty with them. Some of the newer models look pretty quirky and that doesn't help win new fans but Honda's work exquisitely and simply. They really are designed and built with passion. I'm pretty sure Honda has zero intentions of being the biggest manufacturer. I think thats where these striking designs come from, they don't have to be "beige" because they aren't chasing the #1 manufacturer number. Keep the fans happy and draw in a few curious new people.

I relate Honda cars to Pioneer home theatre electronics if that helps people understand what I'm talking about. But if you aren't an enthusiast you probably think I'm just a blathering fool.

There have definitely been Hondas that match that description -- past Hondas. (Maybe the Fit.) The 2001-2005 Civic was mediocre after two generations of gems, the current Civic isn't special in any way but strange-for-the-sake-of-strange looks, the Accord and Pilot emphasized the wrong things in their last redesigns (size and blocky looks, respectively), the Insight is half-baked, the CR-V is okay but has obvious design miscues...

Honda still does see itself as an innovater, I think. That's why we got the Ridgeline, Crosstour the CR-Z, and "features" like the split-gauge setup. But its mainstream products just haven't been special recently and it's clearly out of good ideas for breakthroughs.

Edited by DC Car Examiner