New 2011 Ford Edge Sport AWD OWNER!!

Let's just say he walked away from the Edge and he literally said "My car is a piece of crap." He owns a '09 Maxima.

From my estimations, it's got more luxury car features than most luxury cars had just 3-4 years ago. It makes every other vehicle I've ever owned seem primitive by comparison.

Congrats Nick, a really nice piece indeed. It'll be great to hear your reports going forward on how you feel about it as it ages some. Did they work with you on price or did you have to pay sticker?

I went X-plan on it. Really made the whole process more enjoyable since there was no real negotiating to be done.

I went X-plan on it. Really made the whole process more enjoyable since there was no real negotiating to be done.

How did that work exactly? Did you call the dealer ahead of time and let them know you had a pin? I would like to know so I can do it early next year when I place an order for whatever I decide to get.

How did that work exactly? Did you call the dealer ahead of time and let them know you had a pin? I would like to know so I can do it early next year when I place an order for whatever I decide to get.

I let them know ahead of time I was going to use X-plan. I don't think it's really required though -- just a courtesy. In the end, they didn't even end up requiring a PIN and gave me the X-plan price anyway.

I let them know ahead of time I was going to use X-plan. I don't think it's really required though -- just a courtesy. In the end, they didn't even end up requiring a PIN and gave me the X-plan price anyway.

which probably cost them in the vicinity of $600.

Yeah, probably not much on the dealer's end. Took MSRP from roughly $43,500 down to a hair over $40,000 though. Add in the $1500 in rebates and I'm more than pleased with the final transaction price for what I got.

and nice that the car is SO FRIGGEN AWESOME TO BOOT! actually I prefer the way the AWD handles and drives than the FWD, feels more balanced...

Actually it IS required. You must let the dealer know immediately if you're using X plan.

Without X plan what was your doc fee? I can't imagine the dealer giving up $600 for no reason.

Actually it IS required. You must let the dealer know immediately if you're using X plan.

Without X plan what was your doc fee? I can't imagine the dealer giving up $600 for no reason.

actually they can sell the vehicle for X plan price they just report it as a retail sale, X plan is probably 150 or so over invoice. The only thing I query, is that by not claiming the sale as an X plan they lose a 2 % or so re-imbursement back from ford. So, I cant fathom the dealers logic, or in this case, lack of!

Well, we just used X plan. We told the salesman upfront. The problem is, the dealer had never dealt with this particular X plan before, and they didn't believe that the two pieces of information that they need is all that they need. I've given them all the information I can to assure them. Hopefully it goes OK.

actually they can sell the vehicle for X plan price they just report it as a retail sale, X plan is probably 150 or so over invoice. The only thing I query, is that by not claiming the sale as an X plan they lose a 2 % or so re-imbursement back from ford. So, I cant fathom the dealers logic, or in this case, lack of!

I know Dean, that's my point. The dealer can sell at X plan without a PIN but they don't get the $600 spiff check. If they sell it with the PIN they get the $600 spiff check. If the buyer has a pin or access to a pin why would you turn it down unless you were somehow getting more than $600?

I could understand selling it at that price for someone who couldn't get a PIN because you could lose the sale.

Unless the necessary paperwork to use the PIN isn't worth the $600? Or they have their own way to generate PINs through a Ford employee (is that possible)? I don't know...just guessing...

They said they had some PINs they could use so I wouldn't have to go through the hassle (not that it would have been one anyway...)

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats Nick!! I love the new edges...and the sports are amazing looking. Have you had to do any ice or snow driving? If so how did the pirellis handle in that?

Thanks!!

So far nothing yet. Our foul winter weather usually doesn't show up until after the new year. Looking forward to trying it out when it does arrive though!

I see the 2011 Edge ALL over my neck of the woods now, the MKXs are also starting to show up more and more. They tend to be extremely popular suburban crawlers in the cold white north so I'm not surprised I see more Edges than any other new Ford. The Sport is still a rarity, I've only seen one so far. The Edge front-end really standsout in in the dark, especially with HIDs and those light-pipes. I wish the MKX had some sort of accent lighting on the front-fascia like the Edge or Audi. I still wish the Edge got some LEDs in the taillights, Ford needs to work on making LED backlamps standard on all their new cars.

Edited by BORG

I see the 2011 Edge ALL over my neck of the woods now, the MKXs are also starting to show up more and more. They tend to be extremely popular suburban crawlers in the cold white north so I'm not surprised I see more Edges than any other new Ford. The Sport is still a rarity, I've only seen one so far. The Edge front-end really standsout in in the dark, especially with HIDs and those light-pipes. I wish the MKX had some sort of accent lighting on the front-fascia like the Edge or Audi. I still wish the Edge got some LEDs in the taillights, Ford needs to work on making LED backlamps standard on all their new cars.

Borg, the MKX has the swivel HID's which are nice, but you're right, where they're lacking is in the LED lighting at the front. There is very, very little that this cutting-edge (intended pun) vehicle doesn't have. I'm sure you will see that when they change it in another 2 years or so. Maybe even LED headlights. I think Mercedes is the only one so far to employ LED headlights (not just DRL's) if I'm not mistaken.

Borg, the MKX has the swivel HID's which are nice, but you're right, where they're lacking is in the LED lighting at the front. There is very, very little that this cutting-edge (intended pun) vehicle doesn't have. I'm sure you will see that when they change it in another 2 years or so. Maybe even LED headlights. I think Mercedes is the only one so far to employ LED headlights (not just DRL's) if I'm not mistaken.

The Cadillac Escalade and Audi R8 (among other new Audis) where the first to offer LED projectors.

What I would like to see is greater emphasis on the clearity of the turn signals on the front of vehicles.. Often headlamps wash-out integrated turn signals and this can be cured by systems like the one Audi uses, which is to integrate the vivid white LED formation lights with the amber turn signals. When you turn on the signal, the white LEDs blink amber, a much more effective and clear system.

Audi has LED headlights on the R8 and new A8.

The Cadillac Escalade and Audi R8 (among other new Audis) where the first to offer LED projectors.

What I would like to see is greater emphasis on the clearity of the turn signals on the front of vehicles.. Often headlamps wash-out integrated turn signals and this can be cured by systems like the one Audi uses, which is to integrate the vivid white LED formation lights with the amber turn signals. When you turn on the signal, the white LEDs blink amber, a much more effective and clear system.

I say go LED front turn signals like new BMWs and Land Rovers have done. Which Audi does that with the turn signals? Ones I've seen just shut the DRLs off when the turn signal is on.

The LEDs definitely make them easy to spot at night. I saw a Limited with HIDs the other night. While they are definitely whiter, they didn't really seem to be a whole lot brighter than mine when it was alongside mine. I don't think I'll miss them on my Sport.

As for the tail lights, yeah, LEDs would be a nice touch. At least Ford has been implementing some interesting reflector designs as of late that keep the incandescent looking pretty good for now.

The LEDs definitely make them easy to spot at night. I saw a Limited with HIDs the other night. While they are definitely whiter, they didn't really seem to be a whole lot brighter than mine when it was alongside mine. I don't think I'll miss them on my Sport.

As for the tail lights, yeah, LEDs would be a nice touch. At least Ford has been implementing some interesting reflector designs as of late that keep the incandescent looking pretty good for now.

your edge does have led tails, it has 2 large led bulbs rather then the small string of lights.