New 2011 Ford Edge Sport AWD OWNER!!

:happy feet: So glancing at my signature, you can see I am now the proud owner of a Red Candy Metallic Clearcoat 2011 Ford Edge Sport AWD. :happy feet:

It's pretty much loaded to the gills with options: Vision Package, Driver Entry Package, Vista Roof, Navigation, Illuminated Door Sills, Cargo Package...

First impressions??

-Whoever says the Sport doesn't have more get-up-and-go than the 3.5 Limited or SEL hasn't driven them back-to-back. I started my dealer visit driving an SEL AWD to get a feel for the base engine and see how it stacked up the 3.7 in the Sport. Well, the 3.7 is a hoot! The paddle shifters work well, but in the end I doubt I'll end up using them too often-- the automatic shifts pretty well on its own with little hesitation when you stomp on the gas.

- I also made plenty sure to hit plenty of expansion joints on the test drives, and even found some railroad tracks to compare ride quality between the SEL and Sport. While a bit rougher over big jarring bumps, the Sport is anything but uncomfortable. I would describe it as more compliant as opposed to harsher.

- SYNC and MyFord Touch are freaking awesome. It's going to take a loooooong time to figure it all out and get it all customized to my liking, but it is incredibly powerful and has already come in useful many times.

- BLIS is way more useful than I would have ever thought. When originally spec'ing out this vehicle, I opted not to add the Vision Package, but the one the dealership had on the lot had it and I gave it a try. It was immediately clear how useful that system is going to be in the future.

- I love the Vista Roof. If there is to be one complaint though is that the fabric windscreen is a bit noisy at highway speed. Nothing a couple more notches on the radio didn't cure though.

- Fit and finish is superb. I've gone over it pretty closely and I haven't found anything obviously off-kilter yet. The only complaint I would have about interior materials has already been mentioned -- the panel on the top of the doors is still hard plastic compared to soft-touch surfaces virtually everywhere else. But, with the window frame being a bit higher in the Edge than it was in my old vehicle, I doubt I'll be resting my arm there often anyway.

- I'm going to have to look into that screen cover for the center stack touch screen. Fingerprints are everywhere already and it's only a matter of time before that thing gets scratched without a protector on it. On the bright side (literally) sun wash out is surprisingly minimal on both the center screen and on the smaller LCD's flanking the spedometer.

So far I'm completely in love with this thing! I took some pictures this morning, but I haven't had a chance to upload them yet. I will as soon as I get a chance!

Any questions?? :worm:

• Like 1

:happy feet: So glancing at my signature, you can see I am now the proud owner of a Red Candy Metallic Clearcoat 2011 Ford Edge Sport AWD. :happy feet:

It's pretty much loaded to the gills with options: Vision Package, Driver Entry Package, Vista Roof, Navigation, Illuminated Door Sills, Cargo Package...

First impressions??

-Whoever says the Sport doesn't have more get-up-and-go than the 3.5 Limited or SEL hasn't driven them back-to-back. I started my dealer visit driving an SEL AWD to get a feel for the base engine and see how it stacked up the 3.7 in the Sport. Well, the 3.7 is a hoot! The paddle shifters work well, but in the end I doubt I'll end up using them too often-- the automatic shifts pretty well on its own with little hesitation when you stomp on the gas.

- I also made plenty sure to hit plenty of expansion joints on the test drives, and even found some railroad tracks to compare ride quality between the SEL and Sport. While a bit rougher over big jarring bumps, the Sport is anything but uncomfortable. I would describe it as more compliant as opposed to harsher.

- SYNC and MyFord Touch are freaking awesome. It's going to take a loooooong time to figure it all out and get it all customized to my liking, but it is incredibly powerful and has already come in useful many times.

- BLIS is way more useful than I would have ever thought. When originally spec'ing out this vehicle, I opted not to add the Vision Package, but the one the dealership had on the lot had it and I gave it a try. It was immediately clear how useful that system is going to be in the future.

- I love the Vista Roof. If there is to be one complaint though is that the fabric windscreen is a bit noisy at highway speed. Nothing a couple more notches on the radio didn't cure though.

- Fit and finish is superb. I've gone over it pretty closely and I haven't found anything obviously off-kilter yet. The only complaint I would have about interior materials has already been mentioned -- the panel on the top of the doors is still hard plastic compared to soft-touch surfaces virtually everywhere else. But, with the window frame being a bit higher in the Edge than it was in my old vehicle, I doubt I'll be resting my arm there often anyway.

- I'm going to have to look into that screen cover for the center stack touch screen. Fingerprints are everywhere already and it's only a matter of time before that thing gets scratched without a protector on it. On the bright side (literally) sun wash out is surprisingly minimal on both the center screen and on the smaller LCD's flanking the spedometer.

So far I'm completely in love with this thing! I took some pictures this morning, but I haven't had a chance to upload them yet. I will as soon as I get a chance!

Any questions?? :worm:

Funny how your hands on COMPLETELY differs from magazine articles...last one I read complained about the Edges weight...but failed to mention the same issues for the Lexus , BMW, Cayenne to mention just three...again, differing standards for the imports...ARRRRG. And yest the 3.7 ROCKS!...200cc doesnt sound like much but it most definitely does...mucho comngrats compadre.

Funny how your hands on COMPLETELY differs from magazine articles...last one I read complained about the Edges weight...but failed to mention the same issues for the Lexus , BMW, Cayenne to mention just three...again, differing standards for the imports...ARRRRG. And yest the 3.7 ROCKS!...200cc doesnt sound like much but it most definitely does...mucho comngrats compadre.

Oh yeah, and I don't see any complaints to be had about the braking so far either. I gave it a couple solid stops during the test drive and it felt very controlled and predictable.

I also have to give kudos to the staff at Waldorf Ford. They did a terrific job all the way from working with me on here in messages to let me know when vehicles were arriving at the dealer and then through the process of test-driving and filling out paperwork.

I just wish the dealership was closer so I could return there more often (it's a good 45-50 minute drive from my house -- there are 3-4 other Ford dealers that are closer).

Have you experienced the lag in MyFord Touch that BORG and others have mentioned?

So far, the response time has been just fine by my standards. As others have said, it's not as instantaneous as an iPhone or Droid, but it's comparable to most other touch screen interfaces I've dealt with - like POS systems or order screens in convenience stores. You do need to be pretty precise on where you touch the screen though, and a few of the commonly used buttons are surprisingly small (like the Menu and Home buttons for example). Hopefully there is more tweaking for that sort of thing that I just haven't discovered yet.

Does it have.....

....one of those engine covers on the bottom that the oil change places always fail to reinstall properly; that is, if they bother to remove it at all?

....HD Radio (not XM or Sirius)?

....extenders on the sunvisors?

{edit} Congrats, btw. (Should've said that first)

Edited by RangerM

Nick

So happy you love it! And ..... this thread is worthless WITHOUT PICS!! I wish I had been able to stay last night and get pics of you taking delivery. But night pictures would not do it justice. Enjoy!

Thanks again for the assistance! It was pretty darn pain-free! Feel free to share my comments with Don and anyone else who might be interested. I told him you would let him know what I said about the experience.

Does it have.....

....one of those engine covers on the bottom that the oil change places always fail to reinstall properly; that is, if they bother to remove it at all?

....HD Radio (not XM or Sirius)?

....extenders on the sunvisors?

{edit} Congrats, btw. (Should've said that first)

Yes, it has HD Radio -- haven't messed with it too much yet -- have only programmed in my old analog standby's so far.

I'll get back to you on the other two.

Fantastic! You have one standout ride! I still haven't seen any Sports in person or on the road, but I see the regular Edge every day now, plenty of them out there.

Thanks!! I hadn't seen a single 2011 on the road until today when I passed a black Limited on the way to work. Looked pretty sharp!

Yes, it has HD Radio -- haven't messed with it too much yet -- have only programmed in my old analog standby's so far.

Here in li'l ol' Raleigh, NC, there are several HD stations. FAR fewer commercials. Your area probably has a lot more stations than we do.

I recently replaced my wife's radio, after she found out about all the extra stations I was getting. She likes the Edge, and I'd imagine knowing that it has that feature, she'll like it even more.

Congratulations on your new purchase NickF1011!

How do you find the headlamps in terms of beam pattern uniformity, distance, and intensity? (I know some folks on BON Forums have expressed dismay that HID headlamps aren't offered on the Edge Sport. But the incandescent headlamps on the Edge use Philips' new generation HIR2 bulbs, which are excellent by all accounts. And all 2011 Edge models use a servo motor controlled bi-functional low beam/high beam system).

Congratulations on your new purchase NickF1011!

How do you find the headlamps in terms of beam pattern uniformity, distance, and intensity? (I know some folks on BON Forums have expressed dismay that HID headlamps aren't offered on the Edge Sport. But the incandescent headlamps on the Edge use Philips' new generation HIR2 bulbs, which are excellent by all accounts. And all 2011 Edge models use a servo motor controlled bi-functional low beam/high beam system).

Thanks!

It was pitch black when I left the dealership last night. No problem at all with the lights. Very even spread and pretty bright. Certainly an improvement over the ones on my Mazda6. I don't think I'll even miss the lack of HID's.