Ford Fiesta (why it isn't selling)

Now I believe South America and Mexico have a high tax on USA made products? So with that said I thought Ford said that making them in Mexico will make that tax disappear so it could be sold in the States and Latin America.

I will not lie, I wish that the Fusion and Fiesta was built in the States too. Maybe we could hope for a smaller plant in the States (Keep dreaming kyle).

Conversely, what is the plan for Focus sales in Central and South America. I would think C class cars are a big part of the market is those parts. Does Ford have a South American facility ready to produce the Focus or do they take a hit and try to export them from Michigan?

By that calculation, Ford has 71 days inventory.

I would say quite a few are going to Latin America, Fiesta is very popular there.

I was just back from my vacaction in Panama Canal. Ford car is not that popular over there, but most of the Ford car that I saw in Panama are old generation Fiesta. So I guess Fiesta does have some popularity over centra or south America

I agree. Considering 30% of American adult are over-weight and other 70% are actually just sllightly below over-weight level. Squeeze them into a fiesta is really a torturing.

I just read an article that said over 50% of the European population is overweight. That hasn't stopped them from buying lots of Fiestas and smaller cars. I think it is really a matter of US taste and the lack of issues that make small cars more of a necessity in Europe.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of the average transaction price of the Fiesta vs. the others. I am guessing that the Fiesta makes up for its lower sales with its higher pricing.

Edited by jpvbs

So did 2009-2010's "Fiesta Movement" initiative, with its youth focused marketing BS and social networking nonsense turn out to be a dud? Would Ford have achieved better results for U.S. Fiesta sales with a more traditional, product focused campaign with a broader target audience?

The article linked in Reigner92's post vindicates BON forums member gafry IMO. :reading:

Made in Mexico

Ford would sell shitloads more if it was made in the USA like the Focus.

Ford erm are errrrrrrrrrrrrrm are an American company, why shaft Americans by letting Mexicans build your cars for your home market in the USA.

USA has 15 millions out of work and still growing despite Tarp, QE1, QE2 & QE3? bailouts , Ford are an American company it should be a perk of the job to let Americans built all Ford vehicles for its USA market surely.

You're a limey, why the heck do you care whether it is made in USA or USM?

lets straighten a couple of things out here, and clarify a few points. From what i am witnessing NONE of the reasons ( cargo space a major o ne ) has ANYTHING to do with slow sales...and first hand the cargo area is FINE for a "B" car...sure the seats could possibly fold flat but it doesnt really bother those interested. Heres some FACTS....when released apr through ford was 6.9...thats not acceptable to buyers brought up in the age of 0% APRS. Now, competitors, the Versa sells because its DIRT cheap, thats too easy, the Fit?...its been established for quite some time and people gravitate to what they are comfortable with and its ;packaging may be the best around...Ford needs a "drive a Fiesta campaign".....because once a buyer in this class actually drives the car and realizes how much better the Fiesta is than the competition sales will increase for sure. Also, im not seeing a lot of advertisng like when the car first came out...so thats an issue as well.....oh, and get an ST model here as a "flagship"....

I just read an article that said over 50% of the European population is overweight. That hasn't stopped them from buying lots of Fiestas and smaller cars. I think it is really a matter of US taste and the lack of issues that make small cars more of a necessity in Europe.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of the average transaction price of the Fiesta vs. the others. I am guessing that the Fiesta makes up for its lower sales with its higher pricing.

I would say you are correct. The Fiesta is a premium priced B segment vehicle. I would imagine many looking at and considering B segment vehicles are price sensitive, and cross shop before they buy. With some holiday bonus cash, Fiesta sales should be better this month, and Ford is probably not far away from offering rebates and better lease deals on its new Fiesta. And production of the 2011 Focus ends this month before holiday break.

The parking lots off Michigan Av. in front of MAP are complete along with new pedestal and new overheap canopy to show off the new Focus being built there. The parking lots at WAP are being used now for installation of solar panels. Row on row of them filling up WAP parking lots. It's kind of weird though how they face North and South instead of East and West. I would say WAP workers will be moving over to MAP right after holiday break with full launch starting few weeks after training is over.

How much is a "shitloads more"?:angry2:

The average consumer doesn't care if it's made in Mexico or USA or Canada.

Mexico is located in America.

15 million unemployed Americans in the USA might not agree with you.

Its getting so bad Stateside Mexicans are struggling to get back home again into their own country.

ReturnImmigrant.JPG

15 million unemployed Americans in the USA might not agree with you.

Its getting so bad Stateside Mexicans are struggling to get back home again into their own country.

ReturnImmigrant.JPG

That can't happen fast enough.

It's funny how we have so many unemployed, but the Mexicans still come here illegally and seems to find work.:reading:

Oh, I forgot, the Illegals does the jobs that USA citizens don't want to do. Instead, we pay our citizens unemployment. benefits and the illegals minimum wage.

Hummm...:idea: Maybe we should trade our unemployed for the illegals on a "one for one" exchange.

So did 2009-2010's "Fiesta Movement" initiative, with its youth focused marketing BS and social networking nonsense turn out to be a dud? Would Ford have achieved better results for U.S. Fiesta sales with a more traditional, product focused campaign with a broader target audience?

Short-term, perhaps.

It's all a matter of opinion. Mine is that youth-focused marketing and social networking are neither BS nor nonsense, but the way of the future, for reaching people under 35 and those of any age who are really into the web. Think of it as a non-traditional product-focused campaign.

Add the problem that the majority of small-car buyers have been buying Asian as first-choice, and domestic only when discounted for 2-3 decades, 20 to 30 years. That means that Ford and its Fiesta have a real challenge just to get short-listed with some consumer who's owned nothing but a Corolla or Civic, or other Asian sled. A more "traditional" campaign, product-focused or not, would probably receive a "traditional" reaction: no traffic at the dealership until you put lots of money on the hood. IMHO, with these challenges, and the opportunity of the web, same-old same-old marketing is a recipe for failure.

Marketing costs are an investment, spending now for future returns. This implies that that it takes time.

The Fiesta is still being launched, with more models and options like EB yet to appear. In Europe, it's a fresh product, too, and it's Ford's WRC entry.  The point is, Fiesta is important to Ford on a world-wide basis and Ford is still building its marketing campaign for it. In Europe and everywhere but the US, the WRC is a big deal, which is why Ford is promoting the Ken Block effort.

The point is, it's early days, yet. :)

Short-term, perhaps.

It's all a matter of opinion. Mine is that youth-focused marketing and social networking are neither BS nor nonsense, but the way of the future, for reaching people under 35 and those of any age who are really into the web. Think of it as a non-traditional product-focused campaign.

Add the problem that the majority of small-car buyers have been buying Asian as first-choice, and domestic only when discounted for 2-3 decades, 20 to 30 years. That means that Ford and its Fiesta have a real challenge just to get short-listed with some consumer who's owned nothing but a Corolla or Civic, or other Asian sled. A more "traditional" campaign, product-focused or not, would probably receive a "traditional" reaction: no traffic at the dealership until you put lots of money on the hood. IMHO, with these challenges, and the opportunity of the web, same-old same-old marketing is a recipe for failure.

Marketing costs are an investment, spending now for future returns. This implies that that it takes time.

The Fiesta is still being launched, with more models and options like EB yet to appear. In Europe, it's a fresh product, too, and it's Ford's WRC entry.  The point is, Fiesta is important to Ford on a world-wide basis and Ford is still building its marketing campaign for it. In Europe and everywhere but the US, the WRC is a big deal, which is why Ford is promoting the Ken Block effort.

The point is, it's early days, yet. :)

couldnt agree more Ed

That can't happen fast enough.

It's funny how we have so many unemployed, but the Mexicans still come here illegally and seems to find work.:reading:

Oh, I forgot, the Illegals does the jobs that USA citizens don't want to do. Instead, we pay our citizens unemployment. benefits and the illegals minimum wage.

Hummm...:idea: Maybe we should trade our unemployed for the illegals on a "one for one" exchange.

If people wanted to do crap jobs at minimum wage, there's plenty of work out there. But remember in school, we were told that we needed to get good grades so we could go to college or we'd be flippin' burgers or digging ditches. You have several generations of people who think their entitled to some fancy job that requires no manual labor. Like Bush said, for better or for worse, they are here doing the jobs average Americans don't want to do. Oh well...

Back OT, I don't think the actual sales numbers for the Fiesta matter as much as the average transaction price. If Ford can sell fewer Fiesta's than Nissan can sell Versa's, but make more money, then I say more power to Ford. Let it go for a year or two, let the quality & re-sale be best in class and then you will see sales grow.

Ford doesn't need a home run, they need several solid base hits.

Edited by NLPRacing

I think the new Chevy Sonic is going to be much better suited to the domestic customer so we should see a much more successful example there. Honestly, the biggest hangup I have (and this might be an old person's priority) is the inflexible cargo area. If I want a hatch, I want it to carry things around and if the seats don't tuck away flat then it's not going to win the Costco test.

Bollocks, its cargo area is perfectly adequate for its target audience, BIG deal it doesnt fold flat...only thing that pisses me off is it cant seat seven, or tow 3500lbs...oh, thats right....its a B car.....

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 1

My thoughts:

1) It could be made here (the Focus was made in Mexico and moved here, the Cruz is made here) and that DOES matter to a lot of people. It's not exactly a cheap B car! Some are over $20K. So if it's a "premium" B car, and we're expected to pay more for it, build it here.

2) As noted the outgoing Focus is a heck of a good deal right now.

3) The reviews have been OK, but the Fit came out on top on one test, and in another review the Fiesta was sloooow. It doesn't seem to measure up to the euro version in handling.

4) No arm rest. And paying $250 aftermarket is absurd.

The article linked in Reigner92's post vindicates BON forums member gafry IMO. :reading:

Great link - some interesting exchange there. And in follow up, wonder if the subject poster/Ford employee: XEQUER eventually bought a Ford since the Company is now openly targeting her 'audience'..

Answer to someone's question earlier: average age of driver in current Fiesta transaction = 45

And is the 'Fiesta Movement a 'miss'? Yes, by a country mile if Ford strategy actually contemplated that the social media campaign was the singular element intended to carry the vehicle. I'd hope that it was one aspect of a more comprehensive strategy, serving to do, just a sit has here, to stimulate conversation (buzz, I guess) to be augmented by more traditional media when the product was up and available.

But, using a football analogy, you make adjustments at halftime if the game isn't going your way.

Edited by Consult1

1) It could be made here (the Focus was made in Mexico and moved here, the Cruz is made here) and that DOES matter to a lot of people. It's not exactly a cheap B car! Some are over $20K. So if it's a "premium" B car, and we're expected to pay more for it, build it here.

As others have pointed out, remember the export market for the Fiesta. Any sales lost because it's not "American" enough are likely more than made up for in duties not paid to export them from the U.S. to South America.

My thoughts:

2) As noted the outgoing Focus is a heck of a good deal right now.

3) The reviews have been OK, but the Fit came out on top on one test, and in another review the Fiesta was sloooow. It doesn't seem to measure up to the euro version in handling.

4) No arm rest. And paying $250 aftermarket is absurd.

havent heard one gripe about where its built...if it has the blue Oval people consider it American. 20k is LOADED with leather....$16ish is the norm and the main seller is the SE NOT the sel and SES. Dont get a lot of cross-shoppers surprizingly with the focus, but I can see that angle. Armrest installed myself, in matching Plum leather, $179 and approx an hour and 3 Newcastles. Handling tightened up with ford Racing Springs and Dampers...cost with install approx $750, but the Fiesta is tuned more ( stock ) for a smooth ride, and its head and shoulders better than any of the competition in ride and NVH...so some handling sjharpness was sacrificed...when the hot rod model arrives I bet its a whole new ball game. Power, its 120 hp, what do you expect, i have 6000 miles on mine now and a Cold Air Intake...mileage has improved and going over a road which requires a change to 4th gear now does not....and over 4000 rpms shes fun...plenty of zip....

This is a bullshit article.

he Fiesta has been on sale for a few months, but the car isn't setting the sales world on fire, and the rest of the small-car segment isn't hot either. The Fiesta was only the fourth-best-selling subcompact in November at 3,473 units, behind the Nissan Versa (6,724), Hyundai Accent (4,052) and the Honda Fit (4,052).

So the class leader FIT outsells the fiesta by 579 cars

WTF

even trailing the Fit I am sure Ford make more in the fiesta than Honda on the Fit.

the Versa is garbage it fills the void of the old Hyundai Excel. G A R B A G E.

Ford is in business to make money not Cars.

I agree. Considering 30% of American adult are over-weight and other 70% are actually just sllightly below over-weight level. Squeeze them into a fiesta is really a torturing.

Personally I think that BMI is a cock of shit...I'm 6'2 and around 210-215, which puts me over BMI, but I always have people tell me I'm "skinny"!

With that said, I rather weigh about 200 or so ;)

My issue with it is the MPG for that size of a car. The new Focus will get = or > MPG and so will the new Elantra.

I wish Ford would put a small diesel in it for the USA.

A 65 MPG Fiesta would be a strong sale for a lot of consumers.

65 MPG Fiesta

It all depends...the Engine in the 2012 Focus is more advanced then the one in the Fiesta, partly because the Focus will cost more...that might impact some buyers.

As for the Diesel, I don't see how an item that would cost 10-15% of the total cost of the car (as an option) would sell more cars...a Fiesta with a diesel would be at least 1.5-2K option, making the car even more expensive.