Saw and Drove a 2011 Explorer

Well folks, yesterday/last night I was able to see and drive the new 2011 Explorer for the first time. A few words to describe it - awesome, excellent, etc. etc. They did a great job with this vehicle (and these were pre-production models too, one of which apparently built 2 years ago). There were two vehicles (one in the showroom, and one they let you drive. Both were Limited 4WD models with all options except for the inflatable rear seatbelts, the captains chairs, and rear center console. Other than those few things, these vehicles had everything that is available. They were driven from Michigan to do dealer training and let customers drive the one if interested. The exterior was very nicely done, with plenty of subtle details, such as having "Explorer" in the headlight cluster that gets illuminated when the lights are on. The stance looked great (though I didn't take a picture of it from afar).

The interior is incredible - I loved it and was extremely impressed. With both being pre-production vehicles, there were some fit-and-finish issues, most notably where the front passenger door met the dash, and the turn signal/highbeam stalk seemed a bit too far away from the steering wheel for me, but again that may be due to their pre-production status. Material quality seemed great, and Ford's newest switchgear looks upscale. I loved the "upgraded" ambient lighting, which had lights in the cupholders, footwells, door handles, and door storage bins (the ones on the bottom of the doors). Room in the front row was great. Now room in the second row does not compare to my Flex, but the vehicle is shorter, and I realize that. There still was plenty of room both in the second and third row, I felt. Headroom in all rows was fine. I like the Vista Roof, and this version puts the front sunroof underneath the rear glass panel when open, which apparently saves weight (I want to say the guy said it's lighter than the old system by 200 pounds??). I did not experience the active Cruise Control - don't think the dealer guy (or the Ford people) would've liked that. One other thing - the 0-mph at 6 o'clock on the gauge cluster would take some getting used to - it was strange looking down to see I was going about 40 and the needle was where it usually would be for like 20 or so.

Now, MyFord Touch/SYNC. After toying with it for a few minutes in the showroom, I can say I agree with some of BORG's comments on the system. Certain visual affects do appear to slow the system down on the main screen, but I love the new layout/look of the system - it's lightyears ahead of my version (of SYNC/nav), and easily the best in the business. I can tell already by using MyFord Touch for just a few minutes (if that) that it will have a learning curve, and this coming from someone who had 90% of Ford's '09 system figured out after sitting in the car for a few minutes. There are several different layers and combos to the system using the 5-way touch pads that will take some getting used to - after that point, though, I'm sure the system will be easy to use and very handy. I really liked how the driver can be doing one task (for example, changing the radio station) via the MyFord Touch pads while the passenger can be doing something completely different on the main screen (playing with the nav screen, for example). No doubt I would love to have MyFord Touch though - as I said, the system makes mine outdated LOL.

As for the drive - I felt it drove very nicely. The ride was smooth, comfortable, and quiet. The 290-hp V6 did well, and performed adequately when I stepped on it while at speed. The vehicle would be that much better/more fun with the 3.5L EB motor, of course, but the 290-hp version will be fine. I'm a bit skeptical as to how the 2.0L EB motor will do, though. I'm not sure if I can stand by my statement that Explorer will help Flex sales at the moment, at least until the Flex gets an MCE with all the latest tech. Sure, the Flex is a bit larger and offers some more passenger room, but this vehicle is so above and beyond even the already great Flex as far as quality, technology, etc. goes as far as I'm concerned.

Overall, I think this vehicle should do extremely well - it perfectly follows Ford's four pillars - quality, safety, smart, and green. I absolutely loved the vehicle and see no reason why it couldn't hang with the Grand Cherokee as far as sales numbers go (though we all know Ford is not concerned with them). Not only have they given it the latest everything, they're finally promoting (and eventually advertising) a D3/4 vehicle - something that has most definitely has hurt Flex, IMO. GREAT job everyone associated with the Explorer's development!

Here's 3 not-so-great pictures of stuff you've already seen LOL:

explorer1.jpg

explorer2.jpg

explorer3.jpg

Looks amazing! I have the upgraded ambient lighting in my Fiesta but not in the door pockets. I enjoyed the My Ford in the Edge Sport I test drove in October. I also took a Flex Limited out and I think I get what you are saying RMC. I got the same impression. Good for you and thanks for the post!

Awesome Vehicle!

Why all the talk about selling the same 10K units a month that the JGC is currently enjoying? GM sells >15K Lambdas a month, why not shoot for the higher bar?

GM also does that spread over 3 models.

Plus Ford has the Edge in the mix, whereas GM doesn't really have a direct equivalent.

Awesome Vehicle!

Why all the talk about selling the same 10K units a month that the JGC is currently enjoying? GM sells >15K Lambdas a month, why not shoot for the higher bar?

Honestly, I didn't even think of the Traverse - Grand Cherokee was the first thing that came to my mind because of all the recent comparisons between the two.

Looks amazing! I have the upgraded ambient lighting in my Fiesta but not in the door pockets. I enjoyed the My Ford in the Edge Sport I test drove in October. I also took a Flex Limited out and I think I get what you are saying RMC. I got the same impression. Good for you and thanks for the post!

Just to further explain, I'm not trying to downplay the Flex at all - it is an excellent vehicle in it's own right, and I absolutely love mine - it too has all the four pillars the new Ford has been built upon - quality, technology, safety, and green, but this Explorer takes all of them to the next level, and that is only because it is brand new with all the newest technologies available, whereas the Flex is three model years old now. As soon as the Flex gets a refresh with all the latest tech, it will be right there equal to, if not better than, this new Explorer.

Great write-up RMC!

After we got our Flex in '08, my wife called my '05 F150 "clunky" inside, and it does feel that way with it's spartan XLT trim compared to her Limited Flex. I told her the other day that her Flex is now clunky compared to the '11 Explorer. :) The Flex is nicer than most other vehicles out there, but it seems outdated compared to the new rides from Ford!

I'll amplify RMC, I really liked the Flex I took out. As well, my dealer drove me to the upholstery shop to pick up my Fiesta in a EcoBoost Earth Metallic Black leather Limited. Holy F---! I think the NAV/SONY in the Flex is clean, easy to use and not overwhelming which will suit many of a customer. I really liked the interior which I feel is one of the best Ford has. I think a mid-cycle will be overwhelming just like the Fusion/Taurus/Edge and brethern have been.

Awesome Vehicle!

This is a hard-learned lesson. When the Flex launched, someone asked how many they wanted to sell and someone (Fields?) mentioned offhand that the plant could handle 100K/year. Nobody but Ford knows if that was really the target or not, but as soon as it became clear Flex wasn't going to sell in those numbers it was labeled a failure. In regards to the media (and investors) It's much better to embrace the low end of your projections before launch, so if/when it exceeds them the story becomes how much better your product is doing than expected.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention in my opening post. I did not like how the hood didn't have hydraulic struts/arms/whatever-you-want-to-call-them and commented to the Ford guy that was there with the cars from Michigan. He voluntarily said that things like that would be on the Lincoln version which is probably coming, so it's not just us throwing it out there that Lincoln will get one - they're actually considering/developing one.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention in my opening post. I did not like how the hood didn't have hydraulic struts/arms/whatever-you-want-to-call-them and commented to the Ford guy that was there with the cars from Michigan. He voluntarily said that things like that would be on the Lincoln version which is probably coming, so it's not just us throwing it out there that Lincoln will get one - they're actually considering/developing one.

we have one here today. sitting right outside my office for a training session...VERY nice...White with Sienna interior 4x4/ AWD...

we have one here today. sitting right outside my office for a training session...VERY nice...White with Sienna interior 4x4/ AWD...

Yup, that's exactly what they were down here for - dealer training sessions, but they brought two and most dealers had a "drive" event for potential customers.

I just thought of this - if there is going to be a new "Aviator" (in quotes, as it may be an MK_ name - MKA?....lol Mmmmkaay ) perhaps that's the reasoning behind not having the 3.5L EB motor available in the Explorer - so it can go in the Lincoln, at least for the first year.

I just thought of this - if there is going to be a new "Aviator" (in quotes, as it may be an MK_ name - MKA?....lol Mmmmkaay ) perhaps that's the reasoning behind not having the 3.5L EB motor available in the Explorer - so it can go in the Lincoln, at least for the first year.

I don't think it will be reserved for Lincoln, even short-term, but we probably won't see it until the Linc is here or almost. I'm thinking it will be reserved for a trim level that hasn't hit yet. Explorer currently only has 3 trims topped by limited, the Edge range-topper on the other hand is the Sport which is also the sole 3.7 in the Edge line. I think we'll see an Explorer Sport (Titanium?) with the 3.5 EB hit at almost the same time as the Lincplorer.

I don't think it will be reserved for Lincoln, even short-term, but we probably won't see it until the Linc is here or almost. I'm thinking it will be reserved for a trim level that hasn't hit yet. Explorer currently only has 3 trims topped by limited, the Edge range-topper on the other hand is the Sport which is also the sole 3.7 in the Edge line. I think we'll see an Explorer Sport (Titanium?) with the 3.5 EB hit at almost the same time as the Lincplorer.

Well that's what I mean - it would probably be pushed back until the 2012 model when the Lincoln comes out, and as you said, it'd probably go on a new trim (Sport, or more likely, IMO, Titanium). I could also at that point see it be available on the Limited trim too, but who knows.

:stirpot: heres an interesting snippet...20,000 people were surveyed in what they deemed important...TOWING cam in extremely high......................................yet when asked whom actually towed, less than 3% said they did................

Doesn't surprise me at all - my mom always asks how much a vehicle (like the Explorer) tows............she towed a trailer all of ONCE (if that) that I know of with her Expedition years ago.

Well that's what I mean - it would probably be pushed back until the 2012 model when the Lincoln comes out, and as you said, it'd probably go on a new trim (Sport, or more likely, IMO, Titanium). I could also at that point see it be available on the Limited trim too, but who knows.

Doesn't surprise me at all - my mom always asks how much a vehicle (like the Explorer) tows............she towed a trailer all of ONCE (if that) that I know of with her Expedition years ago.

same was asked about the 4x4 system and whom ACTUALLY did go OFF road....

:stirpot: heres an interesting snippet...20,000 people were surveyed in what they deemed important...TOWING cam in extremely high......................................yet when asked whom actually towed, less than 3% said they did................

Interesting indeed.

Kinda like how fanboys of some brands can brag about a car (that they don't even own) having at least 16 speakers... but they can't tell the difference between 16 speakers and the normal 6.

That sounds about right. Next time you're at store walking thru the parking lot look at the class III receivers on most full & mid size SUV's. They almost all look new with out a scratch on them and most are carrying a goofy looking sign of some sort.

I think it's quite an impressive result that the Duratec 35 V6 in FWD and AWD is able to cover all of the Explorer's expected market. Sure, you could add Ecoboost I-4 and Ecoboost V6 but i really think those would be low percentage runs and purely niche sales.

Having the ability to tow is probably more important than actually doing, it seems like people want re assurance that the vehicle is up to a fairly heavy towing job if they need to hire a trailer someday. Add to that the expectation that this new more efficient Explorer should give highway like mileage in city running...

The addition of AWD these days is more about better handling and safety in greasy conditions than any desire to do serious off road driving, just being able to confidently drive down muddy dirt tracks or snowy / icy roads if needed is enough for most buyers.

The perception of Explorer being a capable vehicle is higher on people's priority list than acquiring a vehicle that is actually needed to do those duties full time. This could be enough to encourage existing and former Explorer buyers to trade up.....

Ford knows that almost 6 million Explorers have been built so far and around 140,000 of them are traded each year so they would be hoping to grab a big slice of that market.

Edited by jpd80

I'm glad you noticed my beef with the speedometers, when your doing 60MPH its at 9 o'clock position, so really, the majority of the dial that will ever be used will b between 9 and 6 o'clock, so why even have 9 thru 3 o'clock positions? I'm really not seeing where they are going with that, I think it's horrible.

I'm glad you noticed my beef with the speedometers, when your doing 60MPH its at 9 o'clock position, so really, the majority of the dial that will ever be used will b between 9 and 6 o'clock, so why even have 9 thru 3 o'clock positions? I'm really not seeing where they are going with that, I think it's horrible.

Like I said earlier (or if it wasn't it here, was somewhere else and I'm getting the threads mixed up), the only thing I can come up with is it was done that way to throw in a [completely useless] gear indicator in that lower right third of the speedo. I have no idea why they put that in there - I don't want to have to look at the gauge cluster to find what gear I'm in if I'm not sure - what's wrong with having the already-next-to-the-gear-shifter-PRNDM indicate what gear you're in (it does NOT indicate your gear there in any way other than shifter position, if you're wondering) ??? Literally, it has PRNDM next to the shifter, but it does not indicate what gear you're in because it's in the gauge cluster - stupid....:banghead:

I wonder if there would be a market for an Explorer EL that uses the Flex's 117.9" wheelbase or even longer,

I could see that vehicle having a lot more interior room for running 7 up and extra luggage capacity but

I can also see where a vehicle like that is beginning to get much heavier and would need more

frame strength and definitely bigger engines to move itself around and IMO, the minimum

engine requirement would be something like Ecoboost V6 or 2.7/3.0 V6 diesels as standard....

I saw what Ford did with Expedition and Expedition EL replacing the excursion

and thought an Explorer EL might fill a product void under Expedition...

Just curious about people's thoughts........

Edited by jpd80