Buick Verano info released, Buick breaks own midnight embargo

PREMiERdrum

For those of you who wanted to know what Mercury's version of the Focus would have looked like...

LINK - Jalopnik

340x_2012_buick_verano.jpg

The 2012 Buick Verano looks like a kiddie car dressed up like a Regal for Halloween. It should — because at its heart, it's a Chevy Cruze wearing sound-deadening padded big-boy clothes and a vaguely European name. Sounds Italian... sorta.

In reality this new Buick small car's name is Spanish in origin. Apparently it means Summer. All we know is it slides right off the tongue. It's fun to say. Go ahead, try it. Ve-rah-no. Ve-rah-no. Ve-...eh, you get the point.

You'll be getting the Verano at your local Buick dealer later this year with a 2012 model year appended to that fun-sounding name.

Although there's supposed to be an embargo on information on this car until midnight, apparently even Buick's so nonplussed with its new baby boy for budget-minded blue-hairs they didn't care enough to hold to it themselves. Want to know more details about the best-looking Chevy Cruze you can buy — check them out here.

LINK - Buick Verano site

Seriously... if this doesn't have Old GM written all over it...

Edited by PREMiERdrum

An Ecotec 2.4L and six-speed automatic powertrain combination is standard and delivers an

estimated 177 horsepower (132 kW) and 170 lb.-ft. torque (230 Nm), 0-60 mph performance of

8.0 seconds and an estimated 31 mpg on the highway. A 2.0L turbo engine will be offered in the

future.

What a screaming turd.

well, its product...even if it's half-baked. It took years for peoples perception to improve on Ford, whereas a Euro Focus could command a larger $18K-25K stick, to appreciate the quality of improved interior materials and driving dynamics...I do think there will be "some" that will appreciate this Verano (isnt that some Starbucks drink?). There are people out there that will appreciate a small car with luxury trimmings...(we've been moving that direction the past 10 years), its essentially a polished turd with a pearl necklace. VW is one great example of that (looks and feels great, till a few years later), same with the Genesis, Equss and all that. Give the Verano a few years in the market, lets see who buys it, let competition pass it by and it'll be another model that will be left by the wayside.

• Like 1

The bigger question looming now is when will Ford enter Lincoln into this marketplace? The Mercury version of the Focus was stillborn, now it seems that with all full line manufacturers coming down into the compact segment it is only a matter of time for Ford to dust off the "never shown" Mercury Tracer, re-do the front end into a split bow grille design and roll out the MK?.......

The bigger question looming now is when will Ford enter Lincoln into this marketplace? The Mercury version of the Focus was stillborn' date=' now it seems that with all full line manufacturers coming down into the compact segment it is only a matter of time for Ford to dust off the "never shown" Mercury Tracer, re-do the front end into a split bow grille design and roll out the MK?.......[/quote']

I was already expecting to see if the stillborn Mercury would make a presence at this show. Seems like GM can push out a product out quicker in that regard than Ford can. If sales are brisk, I wouldn't be surprised Lincoln hurrying it up a bit.

tho I'd love to know if anything was ever even drawn or sculpted for the Merc C557

think the 'Lincoln-of-my-understanding' needs something very much MORE ... my preference would be close to a 4-seater TT, extremely sporty

but

from what I've read (opinion:) FoMoCo is more interested in decimating the Lincoln dealers than building the Lincoln Brand...

...still hoping NAIAS proves me wrong

The know it alls are trashing it, but this car sells well in China and makes $$$. Those that joke about seniors only buying Buicks, know nothing about the global car market. It is easy for GM to bring it, since it was R&D in Chna. Make jokes, but that is reality.

The perception of Buick as a brand in China is vastly different compared to its perception here. Unless gas goes to about $5 a gallon, most people who visit Buick showrooms will not be interested in this car, and people who want a premium small car will not be visiting Buick showrooms. They want a nameplate with more prestige.

• Like 2