Ford Video

I know Richard Jenson is going to come marching in and tell us it's a stupid and/or bad idea to play the commercial (I'm just giving you chit Richard) :blah: , but as a Ford fan, a taxpayer, and an American I would LOVE to see them air this thing and tell the other guys to shove it (or obviously something similar, I realize FoMoCo didn't produce this one). Yeah, you don't attack the guys that are behind you for the most part, but something like this might deserve an exception, or maybe something a little more subtle - some historic footage like that, then show the new cars, say FoMoCo we've been in consistent business around the world since 1903. I don't know, it's late and I'm rambling.. throw some thoughts out for some more subtle replies to Chrysler.

I did not know that, interesting fact. That been said, the choice of GMHQ makes sense in this case. While GM and Chrysler are going on and on, Ford's still kicking butt. 'nuff said. If you have to use LL Cool J just for the first line, it's more then enough to get the point across.

I do not look at this as a Ford vs GM/Chrysler situation. I look at it as a domestic vs foreign automaker issue. Chances are if GM and Chrysler were liquidated, Ford would have fallen into bankruptcy too as a result of suppliers failing (remember Ford's stock was at $.90 a share at this point). At the same time, if the US had not allowed for Japan and Korea's unfair training practices for decades on end, there is a good chance that GM and Chrysler would not have had to seek bankruptcy.

I do not look at this as a Ford vs GM/Chrysler situation. I look at it as a domestic vs foreign automaker issue. Chances are if GM and Chrysler were liquidated, Ford would have fallen into bankruptcy too as a result of suppliers failing (remember Ford's stock was at $.90 a share at this point). At the same time, if the US had not allowed for Japan and Korea's unfair training practices for decades on end, there is a good chance that GM and Chrysler would not have had to seek bankruptcy.

Exactly.

I couldnt agree more.

The US gov't wasn't keeping them from making good product.

Do you own one? I do.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L 4x4

211,000 miles

All original powertrain, drives like new body is still tight no squeeks or rattles.

Damn fine vehicle.

I'd recomend it over any over-rated foreign POS.

Do you own one? I do.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L 4x4

211,000 miles

All original powertrain, drives like new body is still tight no squeeks or rattles.

Damn fine vehicle.

I'd recomend it over any over-rated foreign POS.

Your option means nothing in the grand scheme of thing....having F250 Poster on BON saying its a great car isn't going to change anything.

Henry SR. was one of the founders of Cadillac, but we don't want that in a Ford video either.

Not quite. When Henry was thrown out of the Henry Ford Company by the investors in 1903, they renamed the company Cadillac in honor of the founder of Detroit and hired Henry Leland to run it. Henry Sr. moved on to found the Ford Motor Company. In 1922 Ford bought Lincoln, founded by Leland after he left Cadillac, and kicked Leland to the curb.

• Like 1

Here is a great story that ran on This American Life about the NUMMI plant in Fremont, California. It was one of the worst plants when GM ran it alone. When GM/Toyota teamed up to create NUMMI the plant became GM's highest quality/lowest cost plant and built cars on par with Toyotas built in Japan. This was back in 1984, when the Japanese were kicking GM's ass on quality, eroding market share.

In spite of the NUMMI success, the lessons and practices never migrated to the rest of GM's plants. You can't blame the union as NUMMI was a UAW plant. Had GM built cars of the quality of the NUMMI cars across to board in the mid-to-late 1980s they would have most likely maintained more of their market share, saved billions in costs and avoided bankruptcy.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/403/nummi

I'm rendering it in two 30 second clips (to get around the 'free edition' limitations), I'll combine the two upload to YouTube and post here.

Ahead of time, I must apologize for the intermittent letterboxing and the rather grainy images in some shots. The Video editor didn't allow me to crop uniformly, and it created odd patterns with some of the images.