2011 Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet

silvrsvt

Wow...

Horrible concept, brought to market with horrible styling, show in a horrible press photo, wearing a horrible color scheme.

If done RIGHT, I don't think it's a horrible concept, but all the rest certainly apply.

While we're on odd convertibles - saw a convertible 4-door CTS the other day. Obviously custom, but thought I'd mention it.

If done RIGHT, I don't think it's a horrible concept...

I'll have to disagree with you here, Rems. When trying to cross a utility with a convertible, you inevitably end up with a car that is a good utility/bad convertible, a car that is a good convertible/bad utility, or as the Murano CrossCabriolet has managed to accomplish: a bad utility/bad convertible.

What makes a convertible "good" and what makes a utility "good" are not compatible, IMO.

This is no different than the Chevrolet SSR: a truck/sports/convertible mash up that was good at nothing.

I'll have to disagree with you here, Rems. When trying to cross a utility with a convertible, you inevitably end up with a car that is a good utility/bad convertible, a car that is a good convertible/bad utility, or as the Murano CrossCabriolet has managed to accomplish: a bad utility/bad convertible.

What makes a convertible "good" and what makes a utility "good" are not compatible, IMO.

This is no different than the Chevrolet SSR: a truck/sports/convertible mash up that was good at nothing.

LOL, well I have an setup that'd make it work......

LOL, well I have an setup that'd make it work......

I'll add this to my earlier post...

The X6, for all its strangely shaped, too high, general oddness... might make a pretty awesome drop top. BUT, the X6 is already a huge compromise, so that's not much of an issue.

What I was getting at, though, is that people buy crossovers for passenger space, cargo capacity, soft roading, and a higher seating position. People buy convertibles for sporty driving, youthful appearance, and image.

Outside of some extreme cases, I just don't see those values being interchangeable without a deal breaking compromise.

Edited by PREMiERdrum

I'll add this to my earlier post...

The X6, for all its strangely shaped, too high, general oddness... might make a pretty awesome drop top. BUT, the X6 is already a huge compromise, so that's not much of an issue.

What I was getting at, though, is that people buy crossovers for passenger space, cargo capacity, soft roading, and a higher seating position. People buy convertibles for sporty driving, youthful appearance, and image.

Outside of some extreme cases, I just don't see those values being interchangeable without a deal breaking compromise.

I gotcha - and yes, looking at it that way, you're probably correct.