Ford sales up 14% in February

Fiesta, Focus, Edge, Explorer Pace Ford’s 23 Percent Increase in February Retail Sales

* Ford’s February retail sales climbed 23 percent versus a year ago

* Best month ever for Fiesta; Focus retail sales up 43 percent year-over-year

* Explorer retail sales up 268 percent; Edge retail sales up 18 percent

* Fusion, Escape set sales records – Fusion up 40 percent; Escape up 19 percent

* Ford’s total February sales (including fleet) were 156,626, up 14 percent

* Year-to-date sales were 283,943, up 14 percent; retail sales up 25 percent

* Ford announces second quarter North American production

Download Full Sales Release (With Tables)

Soundbites: February 2011 Sales

1998-Current Ford Sales Reports

Blue Oval Forums – Consumer demand for Ford’s fuel-efficient vehicles continues to grow as February retail sales increased 23 percent versus a year ago.

Ford’s total February sales, including sales to fleet customers, were 156,626, up 14 percent.

“With oil nearing $100 per barrel and gasoline prices continuing to rise, consumers’ consideration for fuel economy once again is taking top billing,” said Ken Czubay, Ford vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “Ford’s investment in new products, engines and transmissions is delivering real value to our customers, and people are rewarding us for it.”

Ford offers 12 vehicles that lead their sales segments in fuel economy, including four vehicles with EPA certified 40 mpg or higher fuel economy ratings – a claim no other full-line automaker can match.

Cars

Retail sales of Ford’s small cars – Fiesta and Focus – were more than double year-ago levels (up 114 percent). Fiesta had its best sales month ever with 6,270 vehicles and continues to gain share in its market segment. Focus retail sales were 43 percent higher than a year ago. The all-new Focus will arrive in Ford dealer showrooms this spring.

Ford Fusion set a new monthly sales record with total sales of 23,111, up 40 percent versus a year ago.

Retail sales also were higher for the Ford Mustang (up 22 percent) and the Lincoln MKZ midsize sedan (up 17 percent).

Utilities

Sales of Ford’s utility vehicles were paced by the all-new Ford Explorer. Explorer retail sales were up 268 percent. For the second straight month, the new Explorer is the fastest-turning vehicle in the Ford showroom.

Retail sales also were higher for the Ford Escape (up 34 percent), Edge (up 18 percent) and Lincoln MKX (up 13 percent). Escape set a February record with total sales of 18,005 (up 19 percent).

Trucks

Strong sales to commercial fleet customers and higher sales to retail customers powered Ford truck sales growth in February. Sales of Ford’s F-Series truck totaled 37,549, up 14 percent versus a year ago.

Ford’s commercial vehicles also posted strong year-to-year increases. Econoline sales totaled 9,723 (up 22 percent) and Transit Connect sales were 2,152 (up 61 percent).

Year-to-date sales

In the first two months of 2011, Ford sales totaled 283,943, up 14 percent versus the same period a year ago. Retail sales were up 25 percent with the strongest growth in the East (where retail sales were up 45 percent) and California (where retail sales were up 43 percent).

“Ford’s fuel-efficient, high-quality vehicles are winning customers nationwide, but the strongest growth is in the ‘smile’ region of the country,” said Czubay. “Early consumer reactions indicate the new Focus will drive more growth in these areas.”

North American production

In the second quarter, Ford plans to build 710,000 vehicles, up 57,000 vehicles (9 percent) compared with the second quarter of 2010. In the first quarter, Ford plans to build 650,000 vehicles, unchanged from the previous forecast.

Lincoln sales for February, 2011

MKZ 1,775 +0.8%

MKS 568 -52.0%

MKX 1,636 +12.7%

MKT 412 -36.3%

TC 943 -14.3%

Navigator 614 +13.5%

Total 5,948 -11%

Mercury sales......0 -100%

Yes, it's a sad state for Lincoln. But I think Ford is doing this on purpose - to force out the weaker Lincoln dealerships. If you don't take our buy-out, but also don't want to spend money to upgrade, this is what you get, for a loooooong year, or two.

Lincoln sales for February, 2011

MKZ 1,775 +0.8%

MKS 568 -52.0%

MKX 1,636 +12.7%

MKT 412 -36.3%

TC 943 -14.3%

Navigator 614 +13.5%

Total 5,948 -11%

Mercury sales......0 -100%

Fiesta 6,270

Focus 10,879-------------------------------------- -18K Cruze (compared to 14k Cobalt Feb 2010)

Escape 18005 15K Equinox (compared to 8k Feb 2010)

Fusion 23111 19K Malibu (compared to 15k Feb 2010)

Explorer 9657 9K Traverse (compared to 5k Feb 2010)

F series 37000 31k Silverado (compared to 19k Feb 2010)

Ford did great. Focus on critica customers, pay attention to the value proposition, optimize the utillization of capacity. This is real business

Edited by weiweishen

Yes, it's a sad state for Lincoln. But I think Ford is doing this on purpose - to force out the weaker Lincoln dealerships. If you don't take our buy-out, but also don't want to spend money to upgrade, this is what you get, for a loooooong year, or two.

I must say, Ford is doing a very good job of killing off remaining Lincoln dealerships in that I don't see any stand alone Lincoln dealerships remaining after a few more months of these terminal sales. And Ford isn't using the Lexus business model either since they use stand alone, ultra pampering dealerhsips to sell those vehicles. A very looooooooong year ahead. Turn the lights off honey.

Fiesta 6,270

Focus 10,879-------------------------------------- -18K Cruze (compared to 14k Cobalt Feb 2010)

Escape 18005 15K Equinox (compared to 8k Feb 2010)

Fusion 23111 19K Malibu (compared to 15k Feb 2010)

Explorer 9657 9K Traverse (compared to 5k Feb 2010)

F series 37000 31k Silverado (compared to 19k Feb 2010)

Ford did great. Focus on critica customers, pay attention to the value proposition, optimize the utillization of capacity. This is really business

I was surprised to see Focus sales down since Ford dealers around here are still loaded with them and offering $4,500 in rebates. Just think, Ford sold almost as many Explorers as money losing Focus. Good for Ford profits. That Explorer is a home run. I see them all over the place already.

I was surprised to see Focus sales down since Ford dealers around here are still loaded with them and offering $4,500 in rebates. Just think, Ford sold almost as many Explorers as money losing Focus. Good for Ford profits. That Explorer is a home run. I see them all over the place already.

Focus are hard to come by around here. My local dealer has 3 or 4, and the next closest has 2 on their lot.

That Explorer is a home run. I see them all over the place already.

Explorer is doing very well and it seems to be cutting into Flex sales. I wonder if the Flex will pick up again or if the Explorer is where all the action is now. On a side note the Escape is the little SUV that could. I just hope they don't turn it into another "me too" crossover with the re-design because right now I think the SUV styling really makes it stand out.

Explorer is doing very well and it seems to be cutting into Flex sales. I wonder if the Flex will pick up again or if the Explorer is where all the action is now. On a side note the Escape is the little SUV that could. I just hope they don't turn it into another "me too" crossover with the re-design because right now I think the SUV styling really makes it stand out.

Yeah, I hope Ford takes their time with new Escape which they seem to be doing and gets it right. The present Escape sells too well to take any risky chances with it. Whatever Ford does, I hope you can tell it still looks like an Escape and not some generic CUV that are all over the road. The new Explorer still looks like an Explorer from A pillar back. Don't mess with success. Make it better, but don't make it look like something it's not.

With retail sales up 25% YTD and an increase of $700-$800 per vehicle, Ford must be banking a boat-load of profit!

Does anyone see a market-share loss with these numbers?

With Fusion up 40% and Escape up 19%, it seems as though Merc customers are having no difficulty switching to Ford.

What!? Explorer up only 268%! LOL

"Ford Motor Co. said it has been selling vehicles in the U.S. for $700 to $800 more in January and February than it did a year earlier, while industrywide prices have remained mostly unchanged.

It is a “good bet” that Ford lost U.S. market share in February, said George Pipas, Ford’s sales analyst. Ford Chief Executive Officer Alan Mulally has emphasized profitability over gaining market share at any cost, Pipas said. "

Edited by soupy

Are there still a significant number of 2010 Explorers available? I am wondering if that number is skewed because they have 2 Explorers available for now.

I also noticed the Ford Heavy trucks increased by 48% YOY. Maybe there is still life in them.

and I almost forgot, Crown Vic sales up 80%! :stirpot:

• Like 1

With retail sales up 25% YTD and an increase of $700-$800 per vehicle, Ford must be banking a boat-load of profit!

With Fusion up 40% and Escape up 19%, it seems as though Merc customers are having no difficulty switching to Ford.

"Ford Motor Co. said it has been selling vehicles in the U.S. for $700 to $800 more in January and February than it did a year earlier, while industrywide prices have remained mostly unchanged.

It is a “good bet” that Ford lost U.S. market share in February, said George Pipas, Ford’s sales analyst. Ford Chief Executive Officer Alan Mulally has emphasized profitability over gaining market share at any cost, Pipas said. "

Pipas is kind of a goofball. Loosing market share is never a good thing, I don't care how profitable you are. In the long term, it will nip you in the butt. You need a strong customer base to keep coming back. I am not saying to go out and buy market share, but we are dealing with a hypercompetitive environment.

I must say, Ford is doing a very good job of killing off remaining Lincoln dealerships in that I don't see any stand alone Lincoln dealerships remaining after a few more months of these terminal sales. And Ford isn't using the Lexus business model either since they use stand alone, ultra pampering dealerhsips to sell those vehicles. A very looooooooong year ahead. Turn the lights off honey.

Oh boy. We get to hear this again for another few days until the chatter dies down and we see next month's sales...which again will not contain any new Lincoln vehicles. You people have zero patience for turning this brand around. None.

I just hope they don't turn it into another "me too" crossover with the re-design because right now I think the SUV styling really makes it stand out.

In my opinion, what makes the Escape currently stand out is its pricing, not its 1998 styling.

Pipas is kind of a goofball. Loosing market share is never a good thing, I don't care how profitable you are. In the long term, it will nip you in the butt. You need a strong customer base to keep coming back. I am not saying to go out and buy market share, but we are dealing with a hypercompetitive environment.

Losing market share to some extent is just fine, as long as they aren't losing sales along with it and as long as they aren't dumping a ton of money into incentives and seeing nothing for it. Ford still sold 14% more vehicles this month than the same month last year and continue to show discipline on incentive spending, unlike their crosstown rivals. This all equals profits.

Ford is going to lose a few of the customers that want the absolute bottom dollar. It WILL happen. But, I don't see it as a bad thing. They will reach higher (sorry for the Lincoln pun) and pull in buyers that want the best car for their buck, not just the cheapest. There is more profit in that model, and Ford knows that. The ultimate goal is overall profit, not total number of sales.

The only place I see Ford really chasing the sales crown is the F series. They won't let their streak of 34 straight years come to an end.

Fusion 23000, Camery 28000. Ford fusion only has been in market for less than 6 years, Camery has been here for dacades.

I love my fusion. Almost 10K miles now. Not sign of retirement. I am going to make it 20K miles.

Fusion 23000, Camery 28000. Ford fusion only has been in market for less than 6 years, Camery has been here for dacades.

I love my fusion. Almost 10K miles now. Not sign of retirement. I am going to make it 20K miles.

Fusion outsold the Accord and Altima making it the second best selling midsize sedan for the month.

Wow. How long had it been since a midsize from the Big 3 outsold the Accord??? And with only one body style at that.

Edited by NickF1011

I guess that 2011 Focus is no more produced since the 2012 Focus started to roll off the assembly line. So what we saw here is only the available inventory of 2011 Focus.

Are there still a significant number of 2010 Explorers available? I am wondering if that number is skewed because they have 2 Explorers available for now.

Doubtful...I think Ford cut back production big time over the past year or so with demand for it going into the toliet. Ford has been very good about not overproducing cars..which what I think accounts for why the Focus sales where down this month, since they haven't built any in a while.

There was nearly a 6K difference in Sales from January (first full month of the new Explorer) to Febuary sales...thats impressive!

Wow. How long had it been since a midsize from the Big 3 outsold the Accord??? And with only one body style at that.

I kind of lump the MKS in the Fusion total as well since they are so similar. It would be interesting to see how many days supply of the Fusion they have. I feel that Ford could sell many more Fusions (without incentives) if they had an additional plant like Auto Alliance building them (Accord, Altima, and Camry are built in two plants).

It all depends on break even point. If Ford can get high profit from each car and truck then the volume for the break even point is more flexible. The relatively low volume is caused by relatively higher price. Higher price plus better quality means sustainable market share and more loyal customers both of which can lead to the long term profitibality. This is what Toyota did before they screw up to chase the title of world biggest car company.