Ford May Top GM In March Sales

And so it begins............

Bet GM pours on the incentives in April, in order to make up for the sales targets they missed in March.

I could probably pick up a new Silverado comparably equipped to the '08 F250 I just bought for about the same price I paid. Oh well...still rather drive a 3 year old Ford than a new Chevy! :)

Yep, Ford lost market share in Jan. and Feb., but this month is gaining some of it back as GM has scaled back its incentives for the month. However, with imports shutting down plants soon, I don't think the Domestic 3 will have to do a heck of a lot with incentives since the Japanese will have less vehicles to sell in April.

• Like 1

When did you buy a new truck?

Unofficially, yesterday. :)

Officially, we sign the papers on Saturday. happy%20feet.gif

I couldn't hold the wife off on the fifth wheel any longer, and after looking at a few motor homes, we decided the fiver router was right for us. So, after I get the bleeding stopped from the truck purchase, we'll be looking to get a new fifth wheel.

Here is a link to a thread with a few pics

Edited by fordmantpw

Good for GM, I hope they continue their aggressive policy of high incentives to get sales,

pile the wood on the bonfire because GM are surely cooking their goose.....

Every quarter, Ford announces an interesting mix of sales increase, profit and debt reduction,

you can do that sort of thing when you're a well run company....

Good for GM, I hope they continue their aggressive policy of high incentives to get sales,

pile the wood on the bonfire because GM are surely cooking their goose.....

Every quarter, Ford announces an interesting mix of sales increase, profit and debt reduction,

you can do that sort of thing when you're a well run company....

Is this where we point out (again) how many employees at Ford vs. GM?

MSNBC: GM rebates, CEO comments raise eyebrows

Last fall, the road ahead looked smooth for General Motors.

Just over a year since it sank into government-run bankruptcy, a leaner, meaner automaker relisted its shares on major world stock exchanges, bursting back onto the investment scene with the world’s largest initial public offering.

But just four months later some industry observers are expressing concern that the company's new driver, CEO Daniel Akerson, is unfamiliar with the car market terrain and could steer GM into a ditch.

Critics contend Akerson, a former telecommunications executive, is surrounding himself with agreeable subordinates from similar backgrounds, focusing too much on cost-cutting and relying heavily on incentives, such as rebates, to artificially inflate sales at the expense of profits and brand image.

A great read.

Is this where we point out (again) how many employees at Ford vs. GM?

Nah, I think the quarterly results will speak for them selves, Ford had close to a $20 billion

turnaround in fortune globally last year with less vehicles and less employees then GM. (there, I said it :))

GM is again trying to production and incentive their way back to the lead, it may or may not work for them.

All that really matter to Ford is that they have their company under control and are going gangbusters.

It's not what the other guy does so much as what your company does.

Edited by jpd80

Here's a mind bender of a sentence:

Liddell shepherded GM through its record $23 billion IPO last November, and his departure renewed concerns about GM’s stability and performance that many analysts had credited the automaker with having put behind it in recent months.

Let's see. I count 4 verbs, 4 prepositions, and 12 nouns in that sentence. Yikes.

Lets take a good look at the sales figures in about a year from now (provided GM and Chrysler are still around), once Ford has more of their new vehicles (Focus, C-Max, New Escape) on the market. Ford has barely turned up the heat on the competition with the Fiesta and newly released Explorer.

Lets take a good look at the sales figures in about a year from now (provided GM and Chrysler are still around), once Ford has more of their new vehicles (Focus, C-Max, New Escape) on the market. Ford has barely turned up the heat on the competition with the Fiesta and newly released Explorer.

Take a look at profits instead. Ford isn't chasing volumes any more - they're chasing profit.

When you look at sales figures in Europe, Ford has a vehicle in the top three in almost every category. This is a great achievement!

Akirby's point (correctly so) is that Ford is no longer chasing volume at the expense of profit. Ford's strategy is to maximize output at each plant while having transaction prices (and margins) as high as possible. Put another way, Ford doesn't really care if it outsells GM in terms of units sold; Ford's goal is the highest profit possible from its plant's capacity. 2010 results demonstrate this discipline: Ford made significantly more profit than GM, while selling fewer vehicles and carrying significantly more debt (and debt service). That's a recipe for long term success. GM appears to be repeating past mistakes. Akerson is a fool if he's steering them down that path.

Akirby's point (correctly so) is that Ford is no longer chasing volume at the expense of profit. Ford's strategy is to maximize output at each plant while having transaction prices (and margins) as high as possible. Put another way, Ford doesn't really care if it outsells GM in terms of units sold; Ford's goal is the highest profit possible from its plant's capacity. 2010 results demonstrate this discipline: Ford made significantly more profit than GM, while selling fewer vehicles and carrying significantly more debt (and debt service). That's a recipe for long term success. GM appears to be repeating past mistakes. Akerson is a fool if he's steering them down that path.

Bingo! It sounds great to say you have the #1 selling vehicle in a certain market and in the past Ford actively chased such accolades. I remember buying my first Ranger in 1989 because they were practically giving them away to maintain their #1 sales position (std cab, SWB 2wd manual with chrome wheels, am/fm cassette 4 spkrs, sliding rear window and chrome bumpers for $7995).

Ford would rather have one plant running full throttle and selling all of those vehicles without incentives than to increase production by 50% (requiring huge investment in another plant at 50% capacity) and putting $3K-$5K incentives on each one to sell them.

GM doesn't get this yet so they're still trying to push volume even if it means huge incentives. Until they bite the bullet and cut back production to meet actual demand - like Ford did a couple of years ago - and get rid of Buick and GMC they'll never be anything but marginally successful. Ford sells as many (if not more) vehicles as GM but they do it with half the employees. Which company was more profitable (even with gov't debt relief for GM)?