Next Generation Fusion and MkZ to further separate the two brands

I heard a "rumor" that Lincoln will get an all new RWD Mark XXI, with Givenchy, Bill Blass and Tyra Banks Versions too. Complete with padded roof, opera windows, and whitewalls. Also a new Versailles based on the Fiesta and a version of the E series van called "Town Van".

Hey, anyone can make up "rumors", right????? :confused:

Edited by 630land

Chicago is already going to 3 shifts with what they have now, so theres no room left there anyway for the Flex and MkT.

BUT. It seems reasonable to assume Explorer sticks with D3 for a while, whereas Taurus is assumed to move to CD4. My understanding (I'd gladly be wrong) is CAP cannot handle two platforms. So, does CAP get the Flex and/or the MkT? Does the PI stay on D3? (And become a legacy/fleet queen?) If so, does Taurus go somewhere else that can pick up Fusion overflow as well? (OAC, or KCAP?)

BUT. It seems reasonable to assume Explorer sticks with D3 for a while, whereas Taurus is assumed to move to CD4. My understanding (I'd gladly be wrong) is CAP cannot handle two platforms. So, does CAP get the Flex and/or the MkT? Does the PI stay on D3? (And become a legacy/fleet queen?) If so, does Taurus go somewhere else that can pick up Fusion overflow as well? (OAC, or KCAP?)

Yea, basically the only way I see the Flex and MkT moving to Chicago is if something else moves out.

2004_markx_3.jpg

There's exciting news coming out of Dearborn this week, as it seems that the Blue Oval's plan to revive Lincoln is starting to lift off. After months of near silence on the subject from Ford brass, there is now obvious foundational work happening which will serve as the base to build a newly envisioned Lincoln upon.

They're still far from being out of the woods, but the steps they've taken thus far are very telling. They haven't simply dumped billions of dollars into new product as a "fix" for the brand. Instead, they're getting their proverbial ducks in a row to make sure that the brand has a solid, sustainable, and competitive foundation on which to grow.

Continued at LINK - Auto News & Commentary

From what I understand, Oakville is getting a D-Segment Lincoln CUV that will be more conventional than the MKT- something more along the lines of the Explorer. The Mondeo/MKZ, IMHO, will either be built at AAI or Kansas City. Product for AAI is one of the priorities for this year's contract talks.

I still like the egg crate grill that's shown on that old Mark X concept. Wish it had gotten on a car and not just the MKX - though even the MKX i thought looked better with the egg crate grill than the current buck teeth. Hope the new guy figures out a way to get a new family theme before the MKZ comes out, the buck teeth on that doesn't work, its a bit better on the MKS, but not the MKZ.

Eh, I have no problem with the names being similar, other than both names are a mouthful. I do wish Lincoln would visually distinguish it though. Being it is all digitally-based, it should be a piece of cake. Why they didn't do it the first time around is somewhat puzzling.

I would just call it "MyTouch." And it could then be referred to as "Lincoln's MyTouch technology....."

From what I understand, Oakville is getting a D-Segment Lincoln CUV that will be more conventional than the MKT- something more along the lines of the Explorer. The Mondeo/MKZ, IMHO, will either be built at AAI or Kansas City. Product for AAI is one of the priorities for this year's contract talks.

Seems like Lincoln will be getting a new "Aviator" coming from many sources now.

I would just call it "MyTouch." And it could then be referred to as "Lincoln's MyTouch technology....."

The issue with that though is that there are versions of MyFord that don't have the touch technology - I believe in both the Fiesta and Focus. I don't think there are any Lincolns that don't though.

I think that there needs to be more standard content in the Z than has been. There is no reason why you should be able to get push button start on a $18K Fiesta and not on a MKZ, or having BLIS, xenon's, rain sensing wipers, and ambient lighting as part of a $5k package.....it should be standard on the MKZ. I never understood that with Ford. An Expedition should not have the same stuff as a Navigator, or a Fusion and an MKZ. At least with they tried to separate the MKS by offering more stuff than can be had standard on a Taurus. The only extra's you get standard on a Z are leather, heated and cooled seats, projector style lights, LED tails, a V6, and upgraded speakers. Doesn't really make sense

As I understand it, the Fusion/MKZ aren't push button start capable. It should be available in the next generation.

Yep. This would have required a redesign of the steering column which didn't fit into the MCE's budget... same reason they couldn't add the hidden number pad on the B-pillar for the Fusion/Milan/MKZ refresh.

It sucks when they can't add these things in MCE's, but we should appreciate their stringent adherence to a cost structure.

• Like 1

I think that there needs to be more standard content in the Z than has been. There is no reason why you should be able to get push button start on a $18K Fiesta and not on a MKZ, or having BLIS, xenon's, rain sensing wipers, and ambient lighting as part of a $5k package.....it should be standard on the MKZ. I never understood that with Ford. An Expedition should not have the same stuff as a Navigator, or a Fusion and an MKZ. At least with they tried to separate the MKS by offering more stuff than can be had standard on a Taurus. The only extra's you get standard on a Z are leather, heated and cooled seats, projector style lights, LED tails, a V6, and upgraded speakers. Doesn't really make sense

Amen. I agree with you. I consider it 'retro' to need a key to start the 2011 MKZ. I had push button on my 2007 Camry and 2010 Taurus.

As for the invisible keypad on the door. I didn't like that on the 2010 Taurus but I like the small exterior keypad on the Lincoln door even less. Talk about retro!! I prefer the lock/unlock to be the touch system on the door handle. As for the invisible keypad/touch/swipe on the Taurus, it wasn't always responsive if it was in the sun & too bright, and if it was wet from the rain, it had to be wiped off first. The door handle touch system is much more reliable. And Camry and the Taurus, I was out of the habit of fishing for the remote fob or a key. That part I'm not looking forward to with the MKZ ... very retro; very disappointing!

The issue with that though is that there are versions of MyFord that don't have the touch technology - I believe in both the Fiesta and Focus. I don't think there are any Lincolns that don't though.

I see what you're saying.

Amen. I agree with you. I consider it 'retro' to need a key to start the 2011 MKZ. I had push button on my 2007 Camry and 2010 Taurus.

As for the invisible keypad on the door. I didn't like that on the 2010 Taurus but I like the small exterior keypad on the Lincoln door even less. Talk about retro!! I prefer the lock/unlock to be the touch system on the door handle. As for the invisible keypad/touch/swipe on the Taurus, it wasn't always responsive if it was in the sun & too bright, and if it was wet from the rain, it had to be wiped off first. The door handle touch system is much more reliable. And Camry and the Taurus, I was out of the habit of fishing for the remote fob or a key. That part I'm not looking forward to with the MKZ ... very retro; very disappointing!

Ford's new system (at least on the 2011 Explorer) is within the door handle (hold it to unlock, push button on outside to lock).

I hope by then they figure out how absolutely stupid it is to use the exact same naming scheme for both MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch. Memo to Ford: You're trying to make people forget that Lincolns are historically gussied-up Fords. Having identical (and identically named) technology from an 18k Focus to a 60k Lincoln won't work. Make the technology look different, feel different, and give it a better name.

I think they should call it MKTouch . . . . that would make everyone happy.

I agree that they have to work to distinguish the Lincoln and elevate it's status again. I can tell you for sure, I bought it DESPITE it's comparison to the Fusion. Not a big selling item! I didn't even like the Fusion. I was really surprised when I drove it, at how 'low end' it felt for a mid-sized Ford.