Lincoln Meeting Today: Halfway to dealership goal

2011-Lincoln-MKX.jpg

Lincoln is about halfway to its goal of reducing its dealer network in metropolitan areas to 325, but many dealers still face uncertain fates as Ford's luxury division's first-quarter U.S. sales have fallen 9.6% from a year earlier.

In February, Ken Czubay, Ford's head of U.S. sales and marketing, said the automaker wanted to reduce the number of Lincoln stores in the largest 130 metro markets from 434 to 325 by the end of this year. When Ford announced the consolidation last October, there were 500 dealers in those markets.

There are now 14 Lincoln dealerships in metro Detroit. Not all are likely to survive. Lincoln's national dealer council met with Ford marketing executives Monday and Tuesday in Dearborn.

Continued at LINK

Edited by PREMiERdrum

14 Lincoln dealerships in metro Detroit? There are 2 in San Diego, and one is actually in Carlsbad.

Fixed it for you. :hysterical:

We just lost our 2nd Lincoln dealership here in the booming metropolis of Columbus, OH. We're down to 1 now, and they're currently in the process of moving to a heavily rehabbed facility in a very nice part of town.

Fixed it for you. :hysterical:

We just lost our 2nd Lincoln dealership here in the booming metropolis of Columbus, OH. We're down to 1 now, and they're currently in the process of moving to a heavily rehabbed facility in a very nice part of town.

We have 6 in Metro Pittsburgh one of which is a Ford-Lincoln combination.

14 in Detroit, really? I thought that was a poverty stricken town?

Uh, Ford is headquartered here along with many suppliers who get discount plans also. Metro Detroit used to be very loyal to Mercury/Lincoln. But now that Ford is starving out the remaining stand alone Lincoln dealerships, many will quit being sucker loyalists. Our Metro Detroit neighborhoods don't need more vacant dealerhips sitting around for years. My neighborhood already has an abandoned Chrysler dealership and sister city two miles from here has abandoned Ford dealership for five years now. The only thing that grows is summer weeds. The Chevy dealership that is only four blocks from me was slated for closure as they could get no new vehicles, but they were saved through arbitration and slowly built up inventory again. The nearest Chrysler dealership is now a Dodge dealership that is small and oil changes now take two days to perform because of the resulting backlog.

Btw, there are no more Lincoln dealerships in city of Detroit. The last one was Park Motors on Woodward Avenue in Detroit. I once bought a 1979 Mercury Marquis there. Long time ago. I believe it went out of business a few years ago. It didn't survive the financial crisis of 2008. Only a couple new car dealerships in Detroit proper. I believe a Ford dealerhship on Jefferson Av., outside of Downtown, a Chrysler dealership on Woodward Av., and maybe a Chevy one on Jefferson, and maybe a Dodge dealership on Grosse Pt. border in Detroit. Most Detroit dealerships have moved to suburbs over the years. Over 30% of Detroiters don't even own cars anymore and depend upon marginal bus system. Inner suburbs of Detroit also dying. Outer suburbs for most part are stil thriving.

We have 6 in Metro Pittsburgh one of which is a Ford-Lincoln combination.

I'd expect that the Ford-Lincoln store is the most secure for survival considering the Ford Division sales they have along with the fact that Ford wants dual Ford-Lincoln dealers. Excuse me if I'm stating what many of us consider this obvious.

I'd expect that the Ford-Lincoln store is the most secure for survival considering the Ford Division sales they have along with the fact that Ford wants dual Ford-Lincoln dealers. Excuse me if I'm stating what many of us consider this obvious.

In the future we will pretty much only have Ford and Ford-Lincoln dealers. There might be a handful of stand-alone Lincoln dealers, but I just don't see enough volume for them to survive unless they are in a very large metro area or have a very lucrative service and/or used car business.

In the future we will pretty much only have Ford and Ford-Lincoln dealers. There might be a handful of stand-alone Lincoln dealers, but I just don't see enough volume for them to survive unless they are in a very large metro area or have a very lucrative service and/or used car business.

They're going to have 7 vehicles - why can't that support a stand alone dealer?

One of my clients house a house in Detroit she bought it cash for like $10K... 3 years ago...she made up the initial investment on renting it out, but the taxes are probably half what the house is truely worth, and I can't seem to even dump the property for free on Craigslist. And it looks cute from the Google street cam thing, seems like a decent area, near some highway, but I'm literally trying to donate it, since shes walking...I just dont want it to just sit there if someone can do something with it anyways...