Nissan: Subcompact buyers aren't seeking style, sportiness

PREMiERdrum

03-2012-nissan-versa-ny-1303318866-opt.jpg

After Nissan unveiled its redesigned 2012 Versa sedan at the New York Auto Show yesterday, coverage was almost unanimous in declaring it, at best, inconspicuous. David Reuter, Nissan's VP of Corporate Communications, tells Autoblog that's fine:

"The Fiesta may have been getting the press, this is what was selling. We were up 20 percent last year. Our competitors have gone for sporty and styling, but that's not what these buyers want. Subcompact buyers want a dependable, roomy car with good fuel economy, and they want the features and specs to feel they spent a lot more on a car than they did."

The formula, inconspicuous as it might be, has worked: Nissan moved 99,705 Versa sedans and hatchbacks in 2010, running away from everything else in the class – next were the Honda Fit with 54,354, the Hyundai Accent with 51,975, and the Chevrolet Aveo with 48,623 units sold. Say what you will about the looks, with a segment-leading 103 cubic feet of room in the 2012 Versa and more standard features at a competitive price point, the momentum will likely continue.

LINK - Autoblog

Nissan's major problem with the Versa and Sentra has been overlap -- both have been awkward-looking cars designed for interior volume and comfort over style or sportiness. So rather than making the Versa smaller in the redesign, to line up more with subcompacts, they merely elected to make it all about transportation and not at all about looks.

That strategy will work very well if the next Sentra is, as they're promising, sporty and stylish. That way they cover the entire small-car market. A lot of people really do want a practical, inexpensive small car -- and more and more other compacts are moving away from basic value. It's not the $10k Versas with no a manual and no air conditioning that have been the top sellers either.

Edited by DC Car Examiner

Nissan's major problem with the Versa and Sentra has been overlap -- both have been awkward-looking cars designed for interior volume and comfort over style or sportiness. So rather than making the Versa smaller in the redesign, to line up more with subcompacts, they merely elected to make it all about transportation and not at all about looks.

That strategy will work very well if the next Sentra is, as they're promising, sporty and stylish. That way they cover the entire small-car market. A lot of people really do want a practical, inexpensive small car -- and more and more other compacts are moving away from basic value. It's not the $10k Versas with no a manual and no air conditioning that have been the top sellers either.

DC, there is no mention of the Sentra...this is about 90k Versas...and even if I say so myself...that bang for buck would be hard to resist for those that veiw vehicles as NOTHING more than a means to get from A to B.....or, as a graduation present or gift to the daughter getting into a college 100's of miles away....

reality check Nissan...#1 reason Versas sell is price....nothing more nothing less....

Don't forget the Versa's class leading interior room and good ride comfort also (as DC Car Examiner mentioned). Driving enthusiasts likely comprise an almost trifling minority of B-segment car shoppers overall. I along with some other BON forum members go :shades: when you report on the short shifter and performance damper upgrades on your Fiesta . The typical B-segment car shopper probably won't even know what a short shifter or damper even does! :hysterical:

Don't forget the Versa's class leading interior room and good ride comfort also (as DC Car Examiner mentioned). Driving enthusiasts likely comprise an almost trifling minority of B-segment car shoppers overall. I along with some other BON forum members go :shades: when you report on the short shifter and performance damper upgrades on your Fiesta . The typical B-segment car shopper probably won't even know what a short shifter or damper even does! :hysterical:

well i actually enjoy driving....thus the motorbike as well ( not to mention it saves me approx 11/2 hrs driving a day by avoiding stop and go ) but mark my words....if the Versa was just below 17k starting its sales numbers would pale.....bang for buck baby...and the Versa is hard to beat for the budget minded....oh, and I bought a second Fiesta....lol

So Nissan admits upfront that their new car is ugly, but that that doesn't matter because style isn't important. They said exactly the same thing when they went from the 1st gen Altima (which looked like a little Infiniti J30) to the second gen that ruined the style. Sales took a nose dive if I remember....

DC, there is no mention of the Sentra...this is about 90k Versas...and even if I say so myself...that bang for buck would be hard to resist for those that veiw vehicles as NOTHING more than a means to get from A to B.....or, as a graduation present or gift to the daughter getting into a college 100's of miles away....

" There's hope for the enthusiast buyer, though, as Nissan says the next-generation Sentra compact car, which is coming soon, will cater to them."

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2011/04/2012-nissan-versa-up-close.html

And a boring car that favors comfort over sport is more than just the most basic transportation. If you prefer the soft ride, for instance, you'd find a car like the Versa (speaking based on the current car; hopefully the second-gen doesn't mess this up) to be more pleasant than a sportier competitor.

" There's hope for the enthusiast buyer, though, as Nissan says the next-generation Sentra compact car, which is coming soon, will cater to them."

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2011/04/2012-nissan-versa-up-close.html

And a boring car that favors comfort over sport is more than just the most basic transportation. If you prefer the soft ride, for instance, you'd find a car like the Versa (speaking based on the current car; hopefully the second-gen doesn't mess this up) to be more pleasant than a sportier competitor.

I will still maintain the bang for buck quotient...they are a lot of car for the $...read CHEAP....if they windowed at the new Focus's sticker guess what?.....

oh price has something to do with the sales.

i'm currently looking to get my retired parents a new car. as bad as i would like to get them a fiesta the cost is just to much to justify for 6k miles a year. this new versa OTOH could fit the bill perfect. could negotiate one under 10k with a/c. :shades:

OH! this thing is fucking UGLY!!!!!! :tequila:

Doesn't this argument point to the beauty of choice? If you value style over functionality, buy the Fiesta. And if you value functionality over driving fun and style, buy the Versa. I know that I own one vehicle that is a sedan and very practical and the other is an all out mid engine sports car. I love both equally as each fits my needs at any given time. Thank God there are so many auto companies out there that can fit any need you require. Same for pricing so that if you don't want to pay the piper for a premium, smaller vehicle that so many manufacturers offer now, there are a few like Nissan Versa and new VW Jetta that decontent and appeal to those who value price more than premium. Everyone is different. Let's be happy that there is so much choice and not sticking you with only premium offerings whether you want them or not. Even with Fiesta, you can still decontent it and get one for $13,9000 sticker. But of course you don't get the space of a Versa. I love choice as it's freedom to me.

Current Rides:

Matador Red 2002 Taurus SES Sport

Zanzibar Red 2002 Porsche Boxster with 5 speed manual

78357.jpg

Hey, isn't that "chick" car?

The Boxster in pic looks like Guard Red to me. In CA and FL, it seems to be more of a chick car probably because of convertible top, but nationwide I believe it's 60/40 men because so many men track the Boxster in spec races and DE events. Some women race also at PCA DE events. Makes it interesting for sure, and not bad driving a vehicle that attracts the eyes of the opposite sex. And the top down really brings the intoxicating sounds of the H6 into the cabin big time. I guess lots of women like fast, sexy cars.

It was an obnoxious attitude, let's see how much that will hold out for as there's more competition, and albeit better overall packages. The Sentra has been forgotten overall. Thats ok, there are people who want a boxy/boring car look at Toyota and Honda, so this will be the boring vehicle they can pick from. I wonder how many repeat buyers the Versa has, and how many go to rental car lots...

oh price has something to do with the sales.

i'm currently looking to get my retired parents a new car. as bad as i would like to get them a fiesta the cost is just to much to justify for 6k miles a year. this new versa OTOH could fit the bill perfect. could negotiate one under 10k with a/c. :shades:

OH! this thing is fucking UGLY!!!!!! :tequila:

Tell mom and pop to bring there battery operated am/fm stereo as the Versa 1.6 Base and 1.6 starting at 9990 only comes with audio system pre-wiring. LOL who knew in 2011 you could buy a car with out a radio! Oh and no "vanity" mirrors either, however it does have rear door map pockets! Oh and bring a cushion too Double-thickness foam front seats are only on the 1.8s/sl,,, If 3K more for a fiesta is that huge of a leap, go for pre-loved model of something aside of a versa.

What happened to the first one?

POTW

There ya go...fixed it for ya....

In your dreams...both the Boxster/Cayman are hardcore mid engine sports cars. Only reasons why Porsche gave them smaller engines with less hp is because they are Porsche's entry level sports cars and they didn't want them kicking the ass of their flagship 911. As it is, the Boxster/Cayman does kick the ass of just about any 911 at the track other than turbos and a couple other specialty 911's. And I wouldn't call 0-60 times of 4-5.7 seconds and top speeds of 155-175mph "semi" fast depending upon model year and model. In autocrosses, the Boxster even kicks the ass of Corvette if straights are kept short. Combine straight line speed, mid engine handling, and Porsche brakes, and you have hardcore sports car in the extreme. With racing tires and some suspension tweaks, you get insane g forces in this vehicle...so much so you have to invest in an accusump so that engine doesn't starve for oil on tight curves at insanely high speeds. The vehicle saved Porsche back in 1997 as the 911 became more unaffordable and sales dwindled. The Boxster gave Porsche another lease on life. And it's no 924, but a Porsche through and through. Many are calling the Boxster Spyder the best sports car ever made and it holds C&D record for fastest speed through its slalom course. Women love that vehicle also, but it's a handful for all but the best drivers out there if you are willing to explore its limits. Modeled after the 550 Spyder, but much better.

What happened to the first one?

POTW

There ya go...fixed it for ya....

If I had wanted a "sissified" sports car, I would have bought a 4 banger Miata or S2000 where you have to keep the RPM's up into the stratosphere to enjoy it. Not interested. And the Z4 has its engine in the front and a waggy tail. Again, the only harcore sports car in bunch is the Boxster.

Not a bad little cheap ride. I'd buy one for a DD or for my kids. I bet it'll be a very reliable car, like the current Versa and Sentra are, will get good mpgs, just won't be a real appealing car.

To me, it has a lot of exterior style similarities to the Corolla, which is good and bad. Interior looks okay and not overdone like so many cars on the road today. Looks to have all the items you need, and none of the extra BS stuff you don't (or at least that I don't want) that props up the cost.

Tell mom and pop to bring there battery operated am/fm stereo as the Versa 1.6 Base and 1.6 starting at 9990 only comes with audio system pre-wiring. LOL who knew in 2011 you could buy a car with out a radio! Oh and no "vanity" mirrors either, however it does have rear door map pockets! Oh and bring a cushion too Double-thickness foam front seats are only on the 1.8s/sl,,, If 3K more for a fiesta is that huge of a leap, go for pre-loved model of something aside of a versa.

I always install an aftermarket head unit and speakers, so no audio system works for me if it saves a buck. Vanity mirrors are for women in my opinion. If I need a vanity mirror, I'll use the side rear-view mirror or the interior rear-view mirror. Of course losing all those items, depends on other corners cut or lost features and price difference.