"One Ford" Ford Mustang set for world debut

How early on can you put your deposit down on a new Ford these days? Would love to be one of the first to get my hands on one in the UK. Hope Ford setup a worldwide pre launch website for the to wet the appetite with teasing shots with maybe a timeless unashamedly American classic Motown track like Marvin Gayes awesome universally loved "I heard though the grapevine" the Mustang is coming.

I think Ford's US made Mustang has the potential to sell over a million in just a few years to the rest of the world like the Capri Mk1 achieved when it was made in Germany/UK back in the late 60's early 70's. Stangs with bigger powerplants will always sell better in Europe, l think the v8 bar is a set a little bit to high for Europe as we do have sky high fuel prices, but absolutely everybody here would prefer a v8 option to a v6 or 4 pot if they got offered it though.

Mustangs will attract a premium price in Europe. Anybody under 35 years in the UK won't be able to insure or be able to afford to run one, they will just have to stay green with envy until they hit 35.

It certainly will make Ford a happy brand that appeals all in Europe with big smiles from ear to ear & exciting times are here again, Ford has something for everyone. Mustang will become Ford's new flagship in Europe that draws folk magnetically into Fords showrooms, we have been a bit of a rudderless ship in Europe ever since the Granada got scuttled by Ford.

Hope Fords marketing department will back the Mustang up to the hilt when it arrives on the worldwide stage, because it will absolutely destroy every other manufactures sports cars sales without any shadow of a doubt. Other car makers sports car sales graphs are going to head to the floor in an instant, they are going to absolutely hate it, like they have hated no other car. But at the same time secretly wishing if only they had something like it to sell with a stiff upper lip . They will throw a lotta mud at the Stang hoping it will stick. Ford must also keep the Stang bang up to date relevant with nice things like IRS, as you won't get away with letting it rot on the vine in Europe.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

I hope it doesn't end up looking like that. Way too much like a new Camaro! Styling wise, it would be the fall of '73 all over again. Anyways, the new powertrains and IFS sound real good!

I agree with you on the 71-73 Mustang and the Camaro; particularly the dash and interior. I attributted it to Bunkie Knudsen's influence during his short stay at Ford. The resemblance is not often discussed.

I agree with you on the 71-73 Mustang and the Camaro; particularly the dash and interior. I attributted it to Bunkie Knudsen's influence during his short stay at Ford. The resemblance is not often discussed.

IIRC, Bunkie brought Larry Shinoda with him from GM Styling. Larry was one of the key designers of the 63 Vette. :)

Am I missing something? Where are people getting the notion that this will be part of some GRWD program. From what I can see, all of them will be built in the U.S. and will be exported. That is not "global". In order for it to be "global" it has to be in production in multiple places, multiple vehicles.

Am I missing something? Where are people getting the notion that this will be part of some GRWD program. From what I can see, all of them will be built in the U.S. and will be exported. That is not "global". In order for it to be "global" it has to be in production in multiple places, multiple vehicles.

Guess it depends on your definition of global. I'd consider it to be global if it was sold in several global markets. How many locations it is assembled at doesn't really matter to me. Considering how low the sales volumes for an export Mustang would likely be, it probably wouldn't make any sense to produce it in more than one location regardless of how many other markets it was offered in. But yeah, I do see your point in not referring to a global platform unless you are building more than one vehicle on it.

Edited by NickF1011

Looks like a camaro...bad

Lighter....good

300hp 4cyl....good

irs.....BAD...no wait, that can be a new business for an entreprenuer! Making live axle kits for new mustangs! Cause all the guys at FFW and the rest of the guys who dump the clutch will be replacing the weak link in a hurry.

I just hope to god this is 90% bull****.

A smaller lighter mustang with a 300hp 4 cyl would be cool/great for entry level. Anybody who uses a mustang for what it's built for will be replacing parts...kinda like the fast camaro guys swapping in 9" rear ends. (common enough I saw one even in my little neck of the back woods) Couple mods and a 9" and it runs 11 flat and looks stock. Nice for an ugly silver/black stripes hippo. LOL

• Like 1

I disagree....if it is available globally, then it is a global vehicle.

Take that 300hp 4 cylinder number with a HUGE grain of salt.

That's over 20% more power than has ever been discussed in a transverse application, and we know for a fact the 2.5L EB isn't being capped at the flywheel to protect the transmission (because Ford's got 300hp engines in FWD applications).

Forget it Jake, it's AutoExpress.

Lighter....good

300hp 4cyl....good

irs.....BAD...no wait, that can be a new business for an entreprenuer! Making live axle kits for new mustangs! Cause all the guys at FFW and the rest of the guys who dump the clutch will be replacing the weak link in a hurry.

A smaller lighter mustang with a 300hp 4 cyl would be cool/great for entry level. Anybody who uses a mustang for what it's built for will be replacing parts...kinda like the fast camaro guys swapping in 9" rear ends. (common enough I saw one even in my little neck of the back woods) Couple mods and a 9" and it runs 11 flat and looks stock. Nice for an ugly silver/black stripes hippo. LOL

It's time to stop complaining about IRS already. It better happen at this point. The vast majority of Mustang buyers aren't going to be modifying them to the point that a good control blade IRS is going to self-destruct on them. For those who are in need something else, like you said, the aftermarket will find solutions.

I really don't get the "this looks like a Camaro" comments are coming from either. If by "this looks like a Camaro" means "wow, they finally gave it some modern curves", then I think that's a good thing. Let's remember who is winning the sales race currently.

• Like 1

Lighter....good

300hp 4cyl....good

Right, because all the 600hp Vipers, 638hp Corvettes, 556hp Cadillacs, and 500hp Benz's out there can't keep a rear end in them to save their lives. As long as it is built right, an IRS can be as strong as a good solid axle.

Take that 300hp 4 cylinder number with a HUGE grain of salt.

That's over 20% more power than has ever been discussed in a transverse application, and we know for a fact the 2.5L EB isn't being capped at the flywheel to protect the transmission (because Ford's got 300hp engines in FWD applications).

Forget it Jake, it's AutoExpress.

300hp out of a 2.5L Turbo is only 120hp/L, I'd expect at least 130hp/L to be the norm by 2015...

Did I miss something? All I've seen from EcoBoost in the +2L size is 2.0L and a 2.3L shown at SEMA in a Fiesta Concept. I haven't heard of a 2.5L EB. I am aware of a current 2.5L I5 Turbo from Volvo inside the last gen Focus ST and RS.

All I have to say for Live-Axle/IRS is the last Mustang I took out (2010) the ride was just as advertised: The best handling Mustang ever. I think they took it as far as they can go so it's time to move on.

300hp out of a 2.5L Turbo is only 120hp/L, I'd expect at least 130hp/L to be the norm by 2015...

How many 2.5L 300hp engines are on the market these days?

And why on EARTH would you believe any date that AutoExpress publishes? Did you believe Weekly World News articles about Hillary Clinton's affair with Elvis?

AutoExpress is a tabloid. They're the automotive equivalent of the Globe, the Star, the Sun, the News of the World, or any other 'small paper with big print'.

And why on EARTH would you believe any date that AutoExpress publishes? Did you believe Weekly World News articles about Hillary Clinton's affair with Elvis?

AutoExpress is a tabloid. They're the automotive equivalent of the Globe, the Star, the Sun, the News of the World, or any other 'small paper with big print'.

That's the thing with rumors. Jalopnik just picked the article up. Now, some folks with think it's gospel.

It's AutoExpress.

And FWIW, the present Mustang is a few inches wider than the '64 and about the same size in every other direction.

People that kvetch about the *size* of the current Mustang need a reality check. People that kvetch about the weight need to spend some quality time in a '64.

I spend lots of time in a '64 1/2 ( as much as possible). The only place the early car bests the new one is in rear seat room. You can put an adult in the back seat of my Mustang. While I love my Mustang and intend to keep it forever, as far as comfort, performance and safety, there is no comparison.

Congrats to Jelly on the good news. Now he won't have to move to Canada

Clinton and Elvis...I KNEW IT! Nick, you got Sprinters PM?

Well, according to some, this means return of Mark IX, LTD, Fairlane, Fairmont, Granada, Marquis, Meteor, Comet, Maverick, Falcon, Galaxie, Monterey, Park Lane, Maurauder, Continental, Cougar, T-Bird, Capri, and Cyclone!

Edited by 630land

I spend lots of time in a '64 1/2 ( as much as possible). The only place the early car bests the new one is in rear seat room. You can put an adult in the back seat of my Mustang. While I love my Mustang and intend to keep it forever, as far as comfort, performance and safety, there is no comparison.

Congrats to Jelly on the good news. Now he won't have to move to Canada

LOL Mark, it did seem a bit of a drastic thing to do, would have missed the Mother-in-laws bread pudding, warm British beer & soggy fish 'n' chips.

LOL Mark, it did seem a bit of a drastic thing to do, would have missed the Mother-in-laws bread pudding, warm British beer & soggy fish 'n' chips.

You can always move to Victoria BC. More British then British they say.

I was think more like the introduction of the Mustang II! What a dark day that was. You are right about the '71 Mustang having some similarities to the '70 1/2 Camaro. I didn't think the '71 Mustang was all that bad. Yes, kind of large and heavy. My old man had one for a while. It was a '72 Mach 1.

Unless they all come from the same source.

Let's just look at some things that have been officially said:

Ford has officially made it clear that target weight loss for all models is from 250-700lb. It's a safe assumption that the Mustang is a car, therefore it's a safe assumption that it falls in that range.

Ford has officially stated that they are getting global input on the next Mustang. It's a safe assumption that would mean the Mustang is going global.

Ford has officially stated that 80 or 90 percent of models will have some sort of EcoBoost power. It's not far fetched to think the Mustang fits into that group.

These rumors are mostly backed up by Ford's official statements. It's mostly speculation, but not far fetched at all.

Let's just look at some things that have been officially said:

Ford has officially made it clear that target weight loss for all models is from 250-700lb. It's a safe assumption that the Mustang is a car, therefore it's a safe assumption that it falls in that range.

Ford has officially stated that they are getting global input on the next Mustang. It's a safe assumption that would mean the Mustang is going global.

Ford has officially stated that 80 or 90 percent of models will have some sort of EcoBoost power. It's not far fetched to think the Mustang fits into that group.

These rumors are mostly backed up by Ford's official statements. It's mostly speculation, but not far fetched at all.

I wasn't disagreeing with this particular case. Just pointing out that sometimes a rumor from one unreliable source gets repeated and can appear to be coming from multiple sources when that's not really the case.