J.D. Power & Associates 2011 IQS (U.S.)

I wonder if MFT was a stand-alone option in all trim levels if we would not see less complaints. The problem with including it on all upper level trims is that you are selling a system to people that have no idea how to use the technology. I think it is a great option for people like myself who are pretty tech savvy and understand that computers and electronics are likely to have some glitches at times.

Even if they get the system working properly you are still going to be faced with a large group of customers that want a higher trim level, but don't really understand how to use technology. I believe there is a simpler system called MyFord on the base models and possibly paring this with SYNC would be a good start. I don't think they need to drop it, but just make sure it is getting into the hands of the right customers.

my ford is replacing SYNC, on all models.

yeah i did, and they appear to have a website dedicated to Ford

http://www.ihs.com/p...ford/index.aspx

if not a ford shill, definitely a ford consultant.

IHS is leading the way in providing the solutions that governments and corporations need to facilitate critical decision making, support key processes and improve productivity. We focus on your challenges, from helping the oil and gas industry evaluate subsurface issues related to geology, technology and reserves, to assessing political, fiscal and environmental risks. We provide critical data on specs and standards, regulations, parts, procurement, manufacturers, products and engineering methods. Each of the following industry-focused product portfolios is based on in-depth knowledge and insight:

puzzle_misc_179x121%5B1%5D.jpg

Products & Services

Looking for a specific individual product or service? View our Products & Services section.

my ford is replacing SYNC, on all models.

So basically if you want SYNC functionality you must get the Touch interface otherwise no SYNC? Personally I think that's a mistake, but I guess time will tell if enough issues cause Ford to rethink that decision. I still think 90% of the problems with the system is customer related and that won't go away until every customer understands and wants to learn how to properly use the more complex technology.

So basically if you want SYNC functionality you must get the Touch interface otherwise no SYNC? Personally I think that's a mistake, but I guess time will tell if enough issues cause Ford to rethink that decision. I still think 90% of the problems with the system is customer related and that won't go away until every customer understands and wants to learn how to properly use the more complex technology.

Remember, though, that "MyFord" and "MyFord Touch" are separate systems, at least in the new Focus... SYNC is available with the MyFord package, which includes the gauge-pod mounted LCD screen and steering wheel thumbpads, but doesn't include the center dash touchscreen. MyFord Touch won't be required for SYNC anytime soon.

Chrysler's U-Connect system doesn't seem to have the same problems and it debuted about the same time.

Chrysler's collaboration with suppliers that have extensive capabilities in developing automotive infotainment and navigation systems (Panasonic Automotive Systems and Garmin, respectively) really paid off with their relatively well designed Uconnect Touch.

Edited by aneekr

So basically if you want SYNC functionality you must get the Touch interface otherwise no SYNC?

As PREMiERdrum noted, the 2012 Focus offers SYNC without MyFordTouch. Likewise, 2012 Edge and Explorer models will offer a similar setup (Option code 66B on Edge SE & 53M on Explorer Base, standard on Edge SEL and Explorer XLT).

seems to me there's a good deal of over-reaction going on

I guess this whole quality thing at Ford was just a fluke, they don't have a sustainable system in place. They are back to sloppy product launches again, they had nailed this just a few years ago, they've lost that discipline.

not just by BORG but by JDP too ... from #5 to #23???

WithOUT Unintended Uncontrollable Acceleration???

so MY over-reaction is

To call into DOUBT all JDP's ratings, procedures ,and everything 1.gif

no

there is MyFord and then there is Myford touch.

there is a difference.

this doesn't say anything, look at their web page devoted to Ford.

they have a web page devoted to GM as well, what is your point?

http://www.ihs.com/products/industry-standards/organizations/gm/index.aspx

let me add another source

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/automotive/used/chi-ford-tumbles-to-23-in-jd-power-quality-ranking-20110623,0,6996248.story

or two

http://www.dailytech.com/MyFord+Touch+Drop+Kicks+Ford+from+5th+to+23rd+in+JD+Power+IQS+Rankings/article21994.htm

Ford tumbles to 23rd in J.D. Power quality ranking

Much of Ford's trouble has to do with the latest version of its Sync entertainment and phone system

12:39 p.m. CDT, June 23, 2011

Ford tumbled from a fifth place ranking in last year's J.D. Power Initial Quality ranking all the way down to 23rd this year.

Ford Motor Co.’s luxury brand, Lincoln, dropped, too, but not quite as far. Lincoln dropped from 8th place in the survey last year to 17th this year.

The annual J.D. Power Initial Quality survey measures not just how often things go wrong or break but also how well owners like various aspects of their new vehicles. In other words, even if a certain feature of a car works as it was designed to, automakers are penalized if owners complained about it, anyway.

Much of Ford's trouble has to do with the latest version of its Sync entertainment and phone system, said David Sargent, vice president of global vehicle research at J.D. Power. The latest version of Sync is incorporated into a complex new interface called MyFord Touch.

“People were finding several problems with the system in that it would crash, freeze, black out,“ said Sargent. “Beyond that, people complained that it was more complex to use than they would like.“

Consumer Reports magazine has declined to recommend several new Ford SUVs over concerns that the system is too confusing and doesn't work well.

so their clients include both Ford and GM, what about the real players in the auto market like honda and toyota?

your sources only show that the ford software is poorly designed and unreliable. i'm not sure what you are getting at here.

Toll, really? GM is#1, Ford is #2 Toy is #3.........I forget where Honda is.

Your other comment is inane troll crap. It'll take 2 long years or so (even with perfectly running MFT) for customers to familiarize themselves with a new tech. This is stuff that needs to be spoon fed in small doses. Ford had a lead with SYNC.....but they are losing it with MFT.

I know where you are......about 2 posts from outa here!

• Like 1

This isn't anomalous, this is the result of systematic failure to follow the disciplines that drove their quality success. I don't know what to think now, this is an indictment of their entire management team who completely dropped the ball. I'm quite pissed to see this, especially since I've been the customer at the other end of this problem. I have lost so much faith in their team, so much so I want the whole lot of them out of there, something has gone awry.

What did they think was going to happen, they were going to launch all these fabulous innovations with OBVIOUS faults and they'll figure out the quality later? They were going to rip-up everything to drive One-Ford and figure out the quality later? So Fields is telling us they have a grip on quality now? What?! No you don't and don't let them think they do, they are the ones that let this happen! They launched MyFord Touch with crippling faults that were obvious a YEAR before it landed in the car for production. They should have canned it for a year as unfit for consumption! And it's not just MyFord Touch, it's transmissions in Mustangs, seats in Explorers, clutches in Focuses, etc...

If I was Mulally or Fields, I would be ripping the heads off my executives right now and firing them all. They CANNOT loose sight of quality, this is THE most important factor driving customers to Ford right now, and they just lost it!

I'm beginning to think that ripping the whole MFT system out of the car is the only solution, it's too late to fix. If not drop it, at least reduce it's presence and make it a high-cost option to drive the right consumers to this product.

Hey, chicken little, ease up. We had some pretty good clues this was coming because of the user-friendliness and other issues of MFT. Stop being a fair-weather fan and have faith that Ford will fix the problems.

As PREMiERdrum noted, the 2012 Focus offers SYNC without MyFordTouch. Likewise, 2012 Edge and Explorer models will offer a similar setup (Option code 66B on Edge SE & 53M on Explorer Base, standard on Edge SEL and Explorer XLT).

This will be a good thing. I was just going by what was offered in 2011 and if you wanted the simpler MyFord system you could not get the voice activation at least on the Edge and Explorer. Offering this system without a touchscreen on higher trim levels might not be a bad idea if problems persist. Like I said before, I don't think there are as many issues with the system as there are issues with some customers just not understanding the technology.

I wouldn't get too worried about IQS just yet...unfortunately the way IQS is weighed, it bangs companies for "stupid" things that customers may or may not like that aren't actual quality issues...For example, Mini has been at the bottom of the list for years on IQS, because they lack enough cup holders that american customers are used to having in a car.

Given the stupid problems with MFT has, that explains the problems.

• Like 1

Like I said before, I don't think there are as many issues with the system as there are issues with some customers just not understanding the technology.

Well the two "big" problems I see are the rebooting problems and the slowness of the display when changing screens (at least that's what I experienced when I played with it at the auto show, but since then has been corrected?)

I had most features figured out with in 5-10 minutes of playing with it...however I can see where there is issues with people used just to turning a knob or pushing a button to make something happen. Its like going from an Atari 2600 joystick with one button to an Xbox 360 Controller.

I think people's expectations with cars are much different then what they have for other items...heck I don't even think my mom knows how to change her CD's in her 6 CD changer in her Sable. Then again she is older and all shes concerned about is getting where she needs to go.

I'd like to see Ford do a break out with complaints with MFT by age group and see if younger people are embracing it without issues over older people who are less tech savvy...

• Like 1

At least Ford are consistent they finished about the same in Europe's J D Power Survey, Ford in the US just let down by over complicated complex Microsoft bug ridden blue screen of death auto 4 that wont work whist trying to concentrate on your driving, gotta say Mmmm l never saw that one coming (should have gone in with simple to use, user friendly Apple). Fords ratings would have been a lot higher otherwise, they were rated up there with the very best at the top of the charts..

Bills-BSOD.jpg

LINK

Good to see the superb Taurus & awesome F-150 finishing best in class. How did MOPAR finish so high Stateside, l guess it must be all that Fiat know-how..

Europe 2011 best cars ..

265111141530.jpg

2011 Best Manufacturer, Ford done just a little tiny bit better here..

26511114163.jpg

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

I wouldn't get too worried about IQS just yet...unfortunately the way IQS is weighed, it bangs companies for "stupid" things that customers may or may not like that aren't actual quality issues...For example, Mini has been at the bottom of the list for years on IQS, because they lack enough cup holders that american customers are used to having in a car.

Interesting, so what percentage of Fords are equipped with MFT?

Must be very high to whack the stats so hard.

• Like 2

Well another thing to consider also is with the Fiesta...it has a central locking system on it that nearly no other american designed car has...that could be another case. Powershift transmission making weird noises or not driving exactly like an auto does, or even the way the fuel gauge works on the Fiesta could be another wack against it.

The take rate has been very high (don't know exact numbers though), which tells me that even though people know it has its quirks, they are willing to accept it to get the technology.

Hey, chicken little, ease up. We had some pretty good clues this was coming because of the user-friendliness and other issues of MFT. Stop being a fair-weather fan and have faith that Ford will fix the problems.

an update to MFT that will solve majority of problems will be released in July/August... followed by a major overhaul release in the Fall.

• Like 1

This thread is hilarious! Excuse, Excuse, Excuse is all I see. Must be a fan boy thing. At least that's what people get called at GM, Yota, Honda, etc. sites when they make excuses for their preferred manufacturers faults.

Ford has some issues, some major, some minor they need to fix, end of story. It's not like it's the end of the world or anything.

And I'm tired of hearing "it's the consumer, they don't know how to use the system." BS. Crashing, sluggishness, etc are not user problems, those have typically been system issues. Lets just blame the people buying the products for all the problems, so we can drive the customer base away with our arrogance since they are the problem.

The problem with including it on all upper level trims is that you are selling a system to people that have no idea how to use the technology. I think it is a great option for people like myself who are pretty tech savvy and understand that computers and electronics are likely to have some glitches at times.

There are people I know who have MFT, that have highly technical jobs and have had multiple issues with MFT.

Must agree. I guess everybody that is driving a Ford now, is just as dumb as those Yota SUA drivers that don't know how to shift into neutral or turn the car off. Based on most reactions here, that's how Ford customers are being portrayed.

The take rate has been very high (don't know exact numbers though), which tells me that even though people know it has its quirks, they are willing to accept it to get the technology.

And you know the consumers know or are informed about the quirks of the system? Or are they sold on the system believing it'll work near flawlessly? Think there are way too many assumption being made about the people buying these products.

• Like 1

I see lots of drivers in brand new Ford vehicles holding cell phones up to their ear while talking (driving is of course secondary at this point). Seems most people get all this new tech and don't bother to use it. I have the standard "Sync" in my 2008 and love it. I especially love it now that I have downloaded the newly released app to lower the volume on lovely Samantha's voice.

My take is that this low ranking is going to be a pretty serious hit. Most people don't bother to read "new tech, not working as expected...etc..." They just see Ford falls from 5th to 23rd. Good reason for the foreign fanboys to just say Ford quality was a flash in the pan. Another thing - BMW and Subaru can get away with below average quality year after year, but Ford cannot. I can't explain it, but that is just the way it is.

Farley will surely have to do some damage control, we will see if he earns his money this year!!

Edited by Kev-Mo

Think there are way too many assumption being made about the people buying these products.

Nobody said there weren't legitimate problems with freezes, crashes and slowness. But that clearly did not affect everyone. There is a thread over on the Ford Edge forums where lots of people report NO problems whatsoever or only very minor ones here and there.

Based on Dean and other dealership employees there seem to be more people who don't know how to use it than people who are actually having problems.

Either way Ford either has already or is about to fix both of the actual problems. There's not much they can do about users who refuse to read the manual and spend a few minutes learning how to use it.

Yeah, and Hummer got dinged hard because of poor fuel economy... :rolleyes: :banghead:

Edited by AGR