Nissan's Transit Connect killers are on the road!

I seem to recall the same thing being said when the Titan was introduced....

Ford didn't and doesn't ignore the F-150, so they won the clash of the Titan.

The Econoline? It will be interesting to see arguments from someone who knows something about full-size vans about which has an advantage.

Ford didn't and doesn't ignore the F-150, so they won the clash of the Titan.

The Econoline? It will be interesting to see arguments from someone who knows something about full-size vans about which has an advantage.

We shall see. The Japanese haven't been very successful at cracking into the full size truck/suv/van markets. Until they can prove they can do it, I will continue to be skeptical.

When I came up behind one of those on the highway recently I assumed it was just another Sprinter until I passed it and saw the Titan-looking front end. I would guess that the full-size Transit would be better competition than the Econoline without some major redesign. Does Nissan even offer a diesel option or are they in the same boat as Ford with the Econoline? I doubt either can be considered serious competition for the Sprinter market without one.

Pretty sure one of those 400 was sold to Ford Motor.

We can only hope-to those who point out the failure of the Titan I would say not a good comparison-Ford has had to continue to raise the bar to fend off GM and Mopar-er RAM-Fiat.. E series is another story as it seems like we are at a crossroads. No time for complacency.

We shall see. The Japanese haven't been very successful at cracking into the full size truck/suv/van markets. Until they can prove they can do it, I will continue to be skeptical.

I hope you are right- but look at Hino. They start from scratch with a conventional class 6 and 7 truck and they are gaining ground. You look at their sales stats and they trail Ford. Here in New England however if you do a traffic count on the road I would say they are even or ahead of Ford. My guess is that has to do with their dealer base here.

Again, hope I'm wrong but I think when they (Japanese) put their minds to it and more unfortunately, when Ford ignores a market-as they have with class 6 and 7, the results are not good. IMO, Titan and Tundra have not done well because Ford has constantly focused on small trucks- when they don't pay attention, the competition gains ground.

I hope you are right- but look at Hino. They start from scratch with a conventional class 6 and 7 truck and they are gaining ground. You look at their sales stats and they trail Ford. Here in New England however if you do a traffic count on the road I would say they are even or ahead of Ford. My guess is that has to do with their dealer base here.

Again, hope I'm wrong but I think when they (Japanese) put their minds to it and more unfortunately, when Ford ignores a market-as they have with class 6 and 7, the results are not good. IMO, Titan and Tundra have not done well because Ford has constantly focused on small trucks- when they don't pay attention, the competition gains ground.

The reason Ford puts so much into protecting the F150 is that it's cash cow. If they aren't spending money on the Econoline then perhaps it isn't the money maker some think it is. On the other hand, if it is, they will put money into the product to keep it competitive. Investments require a certain level of return in order to make them viable.

When you think about the roller-coaster ride of senior Ford management over the last 20-25 years, the lack of attention, even possible neglect of the E-series is no surprise. Just look at class 8 trucks.

But that was then, and this is now, and somehow, IMHO, the new management will do what is necessary. :)

The reason Ford puts so much into protecting the F150 is that it's cash cow. If they aren't spending money on the Econoline then perhaps it isn't the money maker some think it is. On the other hand, if it is, they will put money into the product to keep it competitive. Investments require a certain level of return in order to make them viable.

With all due respect, you are suggesting because 150 is the "cash cow", other segments of the truck market get ignored? Or minimized to "do what you can to get by?"

I am of the belief that if only the highest ROI projects made it to the table, Ford would be a single dimension company very quickly. As I pointed out, Ford has poured the money into 150 and they have kept the wolf from the door with respect to pick ups. However, I say you can't ignore all other market segments if you don't want to let your competitors get a foothold. I won't say a word about Lincoln but what about Flex? Cash cow? What did that cost?

Bottom line is if every project's fate was based on maximizing ROI, I think the Ford product line would be a short one.

And while the 150 may be a cash cow today, I get the uncomfortable feeling Ford is caught between a rock and a hard place. Remember when there was only one pick up line-or should I say remember Ford pickups before the advent of Super Duty? The line was similar to what GM and Mopar have today.

If Ford was in that boat today, my bet is the World Ranger would be here by now.

With all due respect, you are suggesting because 150 is the "cash cow", other segments of the truck market get ignored? Or minimized to "do what you can to get by?"

Do you remember how Ford let their car lines stagnate and put all the investment into trucks and SUVs?

Do you remember how Ford let their car lines stagnate and put all the investment into trucks and SUVs?

For sure- That's the point!!! That is where the ROI was. WAS! Big pickups and SUV's were the "cash cow" of that era. Ford gave the class 6,7,8 truck business to Daimler for 300 million bucks to convert the largest heavy duty truck plant in the world to build pickups and Jac's favorite, the Excursion!

What sells today may not sell tomorrow.

A few things to keep in mind:

This Nissan whatsis is not available in the range of configurations that the E-Series offers

The E-Series products most comparable to the Nissan whatsis are due for replacement by the Transit within a couple years.

Two years (give or take) is not enough time for a company that has *never* played in this segment to score significant market share at the expense of the company that has outsold all other companies combined, over the last 30 years.

Edited by RichardJensen

A few things to keep in mind:

This Nissan whatsis is not available in the range of configurations that the E-Series offers

The E-Series products most comparable to the Nissan whatsis are due for replacement by the Transit within a couple years.

Two years (give or take) is not enough time for a company that has *never* played in this segment to score significant market share at the expense of the company that has outsold all other companies combined, over the last 30 years.

Once again Richard I hope you are correct. As I pointed out in another topic on this Nissan a while ago, I think a significant point here is the similarity of the Nissan to the E series from a power train/chassis point of view.

As everyone seems to be caught up in Sprinter/Transit as the future of light commercial vans, along comes Nissan and they put their money into a very E series configuration. Others have pointed out that this was done to capitalize on Titan production capabilities. Perhaps they are right. But I have to believe that Nissan had plenty of other options (Renault?) for a Sprinter type vehicle if they felt the American tradesman really wanted that sort of vehicle versus an E series type.

Imitation is the best form of flattery??