Ford to reveal four new global products at Frankfurt Auto Show

Since when? I've been going to the NYC Autoshow for the past 20 years or so and they didn't have a SINGLE new release that wasn't shown at Chicago or Detroit Auto shows before hand. This past auto show was the first time I can remember that Ford even had anything "new" that wasn't shown else where.

I've been attending as press for years, and while its not the NAIAS there have been many significant new intros there over the years....the 1995 Contour/Mystique, 1996 Taurus SHO, 1998 Town Car, 2000 Taurus, 2003 Aviator, the original Zephyr concept of 2005 all come to mind. They definitely slowed it down since then but hopefully it will pick up again.... even if only for my own personal reasons of being amist it all! lol

For starters, the teaser may be of the new Mondeo/Fusion - http://www.caranddriver.com/news/spied/11q3/2013_ford_fusion_more_spy_photos-future_cars

Secondly, why does Ford have to stick to the history? Surely it creates more brand awareness if you unveil new models at more shows, which is possible with the upcoming Ford / Lincoln Mondeo, Fusion, MKZ, Escape, Kuga AND Lincoln variant (although that might probably be shown as a concept first)...

Mondeo & Kuga @ Frankfurt (September 15 - 25, 2011)

Fusion & Escape @ L.A. (November 18 - 27, 2011)

MKZ & Escuga-based concept @ Detroit (January 2012)

Makes sense to me, but of course, we don't know exactly when each car is done and ready to show...

Is there any consideration to dropping the Mondeo name in Europe can replacing it with the Fusion? I know both cars are going to be just about identical outside of nameplates...why not do it with the Kuga also? Both North American nameplates sell much better then their EU counterparts, so why not?

Is there any consideration to dropping the Mondeo name in Europe can replacing it with the Fusion?

That might lead to some conFusion seeing that this is the Fusion sold in Europe:

ford-fusion1040s.jpg

I believe there was another manufacturer who used the Escape name in Europe which was part of the reason the Escape was sold as the Maverick there.

Lets hope its something exciting that lifts the sprit in Europe to give the European economy a boost lift it out of the doldrums, make it something for private buyer for a change that really would be a new concept from Ford.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QIg0g3A3d8

1969 Man stepped on the moon, the Jumbo bought air travel to the masses for the first time & supersonic airline travel became a reality (Please no Focus Capri that looks like exactly like a Focus), bring back those very exciting times again with a proper Capri when cars were fun & Ford won.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

But those spy photos are just of the current Mondeo with some camo on it. Nothing really new under it....

Um, no. That is the actual thing...

Also, why does everything have to change to how it is in your little soon to be slum? Seriously, you patroniser types pee me off!

Why not replace the 'Fusion' with 'Mondeo'? More of the world will see that name anyway...

Cause we're the best and everyone should be like us! If they don't' agree we should blow them up! America, fawk yeah! :hysterical:

Or it could be because the fusion sells many times as many as the mondeo, so if they were to merge in name it would make sense for the one that sells more to keep it's name. I think they will keep their names though.

• Like 1

Um, no. That is the actual thing...

Also, why does everything have to change to how it is in your little soon to be slum? Seriously, you patroniser types pee me off!

Why not replace the 'Fusion' with 'Mondeo'? More of the world will see that name anyway...

If I remember correctly, the completely covered car is neither the Fusion nor the Mondeo.

The car that is partially covered is a test mule with the current Mondeo body.

If I remember correctly, the completely covered car is neither the Fusion nor the Mondeo.

The car that is partially covered is a test mule with the current Mondeo body.

Well it's not the MKZ - look at the grille outline - it is a fish mouth like the Focus ST...

But those spy photos are just of the current Mondeo with some camo on it. Nothing really new under it....

I thought so to but upon close examination it is not merely a Mondeo. The mirrors and lights are noticeably different from current/recent Mondeo models, It appears to be a frankenmule, a Mondeo body pasted over something new.

I believe there was another manufacturer who used the Escape name in Europe which was part of the reason the Escape was sold as the Maverick there.

Not really. Escape replaced Ford Maverick in Europe (rebadged Nissan Pathfinder II) so it kept the Maverick name.

Just like the Mondeo name will not move over to the US when it replaces the Fusion.

Whoa... good job Aussie Ford!

JPD, these are definitely the first legit spy shots of it.

Remember, just like the new Focus, this is a new design spreaded over similar hardpoints.

OK, I'll back off a bit but I have to say the shell and doors still look very much Mondeo,

it will be interesting to see the new nose and tail sections, obviously Ford has changed

them enough to make Fusion look fresh and different to prevent comparisons like mine...

Edit, Car and driver believe that is the future MKZ

LINK

Could It Be a Lincoln?

Conspicuously absent from this prototype is a grille, leaving the door open for speculation that it is a 2013 Lincoln MKZ. We firmly believe it’s the Ford platform mate, however, considering that the hood’s leading edge appears far more compatible with a hexagonal grille insert, à la 2013 Taurus, than a Lincoln-style waterfall. Moreover, the worldwide-market Fusion/Mondeo are vastly more important than the U.S.-only MKZ, making them the higher development priority.

2013_ford_fusion_spy_photo_101_cd_gallery.jpg

2013_ford_fusion_spy_photo_104_cd_gallery.jpg

Edited by jpd80

Y'know what, I think this is a bastard mule - it's both. Hear me out - does this outline look like a current Ford or perhaps an all-new Lincoln?:

2013-cd.jpg

But the nose is almost a direct copy of the Focus Electric (couldn't get the exact angle, but surely you can see what I mean...):

2013-cdf.jpg