Production End Today for Panther Cars

So production ends today and Ford is nowhere near production of the replacement Taurus/Explorer interceptors? The 2013 Taurus isn't out until May afterall.

That'll quickly wipe out Ford's market dominance in that arena.

It never occurred to you that Ford has built up a stockpile of panthers knowing that most will be PI or detective cars....

They probably have around three months worth sitting ready to deliver as needed.

It never occurred to you that Ford has built up a stockpile of panthers knowing that most will be PI or detective cars....

They probably have around three months worth sitting ready to deliver as needed.

Do they have 8-months worth of inventory laying around? I'm absolutely certain they do not.

Edited by BORG

Do they have 8-months worth of inventory laying around? I'm absolutely certain they do not.

Well given the fact that this isn't typical production car and the agency's have known they are going out of production for a while now....they either stocked up now or are planning on moving to another product (I only think Dodge might be in production...not sure about the Impala) or they are waiting till next Year when the Police Interceptor and Utility will be in production. Its not like these things are being bought month to month by gov agencies....they have to put out RFI's etc and its a one time thing when they do get them.

No but Police departments have been "stockpiling" for months so there has been a huge pull forward of sales.

and IMO, over the next three months, a lot of that demand will dry up and give Ford the breathing space it wants.

You do realize that the cost savings to Ford for stopping production at STAP outweighs the profit from the cars built there,

that is after all why Ford is closing the place down.....

It is a sad day but this is the way Ford wants it and yes, the accountants did win out ....

Edited by jpd80

So production ends today and Ford is nowhere near production of the replacement Taurus/Explorer interceptors? The 2013 Taurus isn't out until May afterall.

That'll quickly wipe out Ford's market dominance in that arena.

Which probably won't matter anyway. I'm betting most departments are going to opt for the Charger instead.

You do realize that the cost savings to Ford for stopping production at STAP outweighs the profit from the cars built there,

that is after all why Ford is closing the place down.....

I don't think that's the case to be honest (yes I'm biased on it).

The current Panther platform no longer meets safety standards. Therefore in order to meet those standards, it would have to be redesigned. Added to that, with Ford's new approach, having a plant run on one shift was out of the question. And to bring another shift in would mean another vehicle. And another vehicle would probably mean some re-tooling. At the end, the plant was still very cost effective, and as long as the Panther met safety standards, would have more than likely stayed open. But with the changes Ford had to make, STAP was SoL.

• Like 1

If you haven't heard, the Panther car is finally put to pasture today with the closure of the St. Thomas Plant at the end of business today.

http://www.leftlanen...lose-today.html

I am truly sad to see this come to an end. I started taking limo services when I travel instead of cabs because the fare was cheaper. No one seems to have a definitive answer to a replacement.

Monte

Well, it was a good run, that's for sure. Too bad the 'Panther Mafia' and all those wannabe cops out there never bought new ones...............

I purchased my 2004 Crown Victoria brand new in April, 2004. It now has almost 88,000 miles. I purchased a 1989 LTD Crown Victoria in 1989.

I do believe production last few months was double the norm. And as others have pointed out, departments knew what was coming and I'm sure many did their forward planning accordingly. It appears Ford has done a lot to make sure they have not abandoned the market

As for the Taurus, everytime you see coverage of a major crime scene or accident here in greater Boston, you see a lot of unmarked Tauruses in the footage. Just may be that the CV's have been earmarked for marked vehicles and the current non-PI Taurus is the detective/unmarked car of choice.

As for myself, I've had 4 new ones. The last one an 07 Sport (avatar). Many 500 mile days in it, trunk full of files, transits, etc. 75 mph and 22+ mpg.

Lack of sales was a self fullfilling prophecy. What do you expect when the "new product" data sheets were limited to ..."colors dropped, colors added". But we have plowed tht ground many times before.

In any case STAP, thanks for the good job.

Dont know why they didn't close the Oakville plant and move all the production to Talbotville? Could have sold Oakville land and made a fortune. Talbotville had the space to expand. Sad to see her close but glad I got out when I did 4 years ago.

About 10 years ago, the plan was to re-tool STAP for the next generation full size saloon car and Police Interceptor. Unfortunately at the time, STAP was rammed with orders, and Oakville was in trouble. The truck plant was about to go under (production being moved to the new Rouge plant), and the future of the Windstar/Freestar was in doubt. The CAW fought for, and convinced Ford to spend the money in Oakville, instead of STAP. Then the bottom fell out of the market and the D3's were produced flop after flop. Simply put, there was no money for STAP.

When you look at the shear numbers (land, space, quality, work force) I'm sure Ford wasn't happy that STAP has to go, while Oakville stayed. But thanks to the CAW, that's what happened.

Good luck to Scott Smith when he joins his puppet masters at the National

• Like 1

Which probably won't matter anyway. I'm betting most departments are going to opt for the Charger instead.

My Department (Indiana State Police) has already switched to Chargers!! :banghead:

Mechanic at my Post said the earlier Chargers (Purchased for Testing) have had multiple brake and wheel bearing issues.

We have some 2011's out now, already have seen cars with brake lights not working, issues with keyless entry, and LEDS going out in the rear. :ohsnap: Just wait till the real problems start :stirpot:

I figure by the time the New PI is out, we will look to get something reliable...

I will try and swap out with others who have lower mileage CVPI when my 2008 with 84K is due for replacement. We currently get on a replacement list when we reach 100k. I probably have a year!! :angry2: