New Ford sedan caught testing

Looking at the photo, is there THAT much difference in MKZ/Fusion versus Fiesta?

I admit it's not a good angle, but the back of the Fiesta hits about the middle of the rear door (I realize the Fiesta is parked a little forward, but not that much). I didn't think a MKZ/Fusion were that much longer.

There also appears to be an empty parking space between the camo'ed car and the Fiesta, at least from my perspective. It's a little further off than it might first appear.

Regardless of which vehicle this is, I'm liking the proportions of the greenhouse compared to the body.

Edited by NickF1011

So I take it it that somebody e-mailed their crappy cell-phone photo to Jalopnik and they took it upon themselves to declare this the next Taurus, ignoring the fact that Ford has already announced and revealed a substantially updated 2013 Taurus. In what world does that make sense to anybody, especially auto journalists?

This is the MKZ dudes.

To their credit (I don't know why I am defneding them), they did say that if this is the Taurus, then the '13 is going to be a short-timer...a refresh to only last a year.

I sure hope not. Way too much front overhang, too little room behind the front wheel centers, which makes this one really nose-heavy vehicle, meant for FWD/AWD. :)

Plus its way to soon to see mules for anything that could come off a RWD platform, by the time you have a running prototype on the streets you're only looking at 18 months or less before production, hard points and styling isn't even set for the 2015 Mustang.

I was trying to figure out what lot this photo was taken in, The Ford Prototypes have been out roaming a lot lately saw the new Escape again this morning -- I'm really disappointed by the tail lights on it too -- they look very cheap, no amber turn signals, no LED's, they are prototypes so hopefully they are just test units and the production version gets some quality looking hardware.

Edited by jasonj80

I'm really disappointed by the tail lights on it too -- they look very cheap, no amber turn signals, no LED's, they are prototypes so hopefully they are just test units and the production version gets some quality looking hardware.

Could also be a trim level thing. Plenty of vehicles out there that use lower end lights on lower trims. I would be a little disappointed too though if it's just a typical incandescent. Although I do think that Ford has some of the better looking incandescent lights on the market -- I don't mind the ones on my Edge or Mustang at all. Very unique and pleasant looking reflector designs.

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 1

There also appears to be an empty parking space between the camo'ed car and the Fiesta, at least from my perspective. It's a little further off than it might first appear.

Regardless of which vehicle this is, I'm liking the proportions of the greenhouse compared to the body.

Judging by the parking space lines, I'd say there was not an empty space between them, just that the Fiesta is far over to the left in its spot.

No way is there going to be a 'one year' refresh for 2013 Taurus. The people saying so have no proof and don't work for Ford, so it's just Tabloid journalism. Just like all the supermarket rags saying 'a friend says Jen Aniston is pregnent'.

Edited by 630land

No way is there going to be a 'one year' refresh for 2013 Taurus. The people saying so have no proof and don't work for Ford, so it's just Tabloid journalism. Just like all the supermarket rags saying 'a friend says Jen Aniston is pregnent'.

You mean, kinda like someone on a forum saying "No way is there going to be a 'one year' refresh for 2013 Taurus"? The people saying so have no proof and don't work for Ford, so it's just Tabloid forum journalism guesswork.

:shades:

PS: I am in no way saying the '13 Taurus will be just a 'one year' refresh before we get a redesign for the '14 MY...just playing devil's advocate here...

Is the next gen Fusion the first production vehicle to adopt the Evos corporate design language?

Yes it is. If you read the comments at the intro of the Evos from people like J Mays, the Evos was created after the design of the Fusion was locked (as JPD noted), but it is intended to carry many of the signature design cues of the Fusion and other future products. Both J Mays and Martin Smith commented on the unusual situation of creating a concept car that actually carries approved production design cues - usually it's the other way around, the concept influences production design.

I guess it could be argued that the Taurus update is the first to show the new look, given its new grill treatment.

• Like 1