Land Rover Evoque is 2012 Motor Trend SUV of the Year

twintornados

I wonder if MT is aware that you can't buy an extended warranty on a LR from national insurance company. In fact, they won't touch the vehicle with 10 foot pole no matter how much on premium you are willing to spend. I doubt if there quality has improved much. Being without warranty on LR is being completely naked and vulnerable to huge finanacial loss. Worse than Audi, BMW, Porsche, and MB. You can buy extended warranty easily from national company on all four.

• Like 1

I wonder if MT is aware that you can't buy an extended warranty on a LR from national insurance company. In fact, they won't touch the vehicle with 10 foot pole no matter how much on premium you are willing to spend. I doubt if there quality has improved much. Being without warranty on LR is being completely naked and vulnerable to huge finanacial loss. Worse than Audi, BMW, Porsche, and MB. You can buy extended warranty easily from national company on all four.

You think MT cares? All they care about (other than ensuring the car isn't built by Ford) is the car not falling apart in their 200 miles of flogging.

To be far, the Evoque is pretty dang sweet, from where I sit at least. I was just discussing these with my wife the other day. It's nice to see LR break the boxy mold. I'm not sure using "Range Rover" as its own sub-brand is a worthwhile effort, but the new utility is gorgeous either way.

I agree, the Evoque appears to be one sweet ride!

• Like 1

I agree, the Evoque appears to be one sweet ride!

Just make sure you sell it before warranty expires. :redcard: At least with a Bimmer, Porsche, Audi, MB you can buy an extended warranty that covers practically everthing for $3600. With LR you are shit out of luck and money. And something will go wrong quickly. What a surprise, MT loses more credibility.

• Like 1

Just make sure you sell it before warranty expires. :redcard:

Just because it's sweet, doesn't mean I'm buying one. It really doesn't fit any of my vehicular needs (or wants, really). And, I don't have the money for a LR.

At least with a Bimmer, Porsche, Audi, MB you can buy an extended warranty that covers practically everthing for $3600. With LR you are shit out of luck and money. And something will go wrong quickly. What a surprise, MT loses more credibility.

SUV of the year doesn't depend on the ability to buy an extended warranty. And, can you have negative credibility?

I truly hope that the quality changes for the better. I know two friends that owned older models that were repair nightmares. I do have to agree this one looks REAL good.

I believe the way any product is reviewed in this day and time is a bought issue. It has gotten almost to the point that you cant even believe the enduser because they are paid too!

Monte

Top Gear UK came to the US to drive and review this and it was pretty entertaining. I remember him saying that the Evoque was based on the same platform as the Ford Mondeo and the 2.0 I4 was a version if not the same engine as the Ecoboost in the Explorer. Why does the Explorer get such poor remarks when the Evoque, a much similar vehicle, win Truck of the Year.

Why does the Explorer get such poor remarks when the Evoque, a much similar vehicle, win Truck of the Year.

The Evoque shares the engine with Explorer, but it's lugging around a smaller vehicle. The Explorer EcoBoost complaints have been largely directed at the 'Splorer's size and weight, not so much the engine itself.

• Like 2

Huh.... :headscratch: ....thought for sure ole T-Stag would have come ridin' on in here by now.....guess he is still in a coma from passing out....thanks a lot Angus Mackenzie from Motor Tread....you just killed a beloved member of Blue Oval News!!!!!

The sarcasm would have come through a little stronger if you would have put " " around "beloved" :shades:

Love the style, and have read it is still might off-road worthy. But would have to see it put through the paces to judge for myself. Otherwise knowing its an LR, I'm not so sure I could own one, or afford to pay for the numerous repair bills at least. Looked at and almost purchased an '06 LR3 before getting my '06 F150, but the entry price and known upkeep price was a little too steep for my liking.

Edited by V8-X

Extended warranty? You must sell those things for a living.... Nuts, bolts and electricity. Better get familiar with them. :stirpot:

• Like 1

It's kind of like the X3, a hatchback on stilts with hiking boots and yes, some will love it but I feel that more will be repulsed...

It's like the original Freelander, too small and tight to be anything more than a play thing for the rich...

Edited by jpd80

I went and looked at 2 of them yesterday. Jaw dropping. Both were sold. Both white. The dealer had other people asking about them while I was there and I heard the guy say backorder. The 2 door is the way to go. The thing looks like a concept sketch inside and out.

Fun afternoon by the way. Landrover is paired with Jaguar and its right next to a Porsche and Audi dealer. We walked all 3 lots. I drove the FIesta.... no one greeted us!

I considered the Evoque as it really is a great design. I was steered away from general quality issues with all Land Rovers. They work better than most when new but slowly things start to go and it's non stop. The fit and finish is excellent on these so it was hard to pass up. It also felt a little like a chick crossover. Optioned out the way I wanted it was oabout 10K more than the loaded Edge Sport I have on order. I really like the style of the Edge Sport over the Evoque except the interior of the Evoque kills the Edge no question. Without the Edge sport I would not consider and Edge. I hate the look of the regular edge.

• Like 1

Hmm.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................

Did you know that neither a 4-lo gear nor a center locking differential are available on the Evoque?

Hmm.

Wasn't the Explorer repeatedly lambasted because it lacked those features?

Edited by RichardJensen

Hmm.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................

Did you know that neither a 4-lo gear nor a center locking differential are available on the Evoque?

Hmm.

Wasn't the Explorer repeatedly lambasted because it lacked those features?

BINGO!....was wondering when someone would bring up the double standard....

Edited by RichardJensen
Edited to remove my egregious use of carriage returns
  • Like 1

Who stated it was an off-road monster? I read an aritcle that stated it was still off-road worthy, whatever that truly means. But like I stated, would have to see it put through the paces. The article I read, can't remember the rag, didn't provide specs/details of its 4WD system. So we'll have to wait and see, but if what you say is true, I don't have much confidence in it's overall ability.

EDIT: The only real remark I found speaking to its ability is below, which really doesn't say much since most CUV's have little to no off-road prowess.

retains an off-road prowess that would embarrass most crossovers;

It's a beautiful vehicle, and unlike others, I think it will age just fine. This doesn't mean I'd be interested in purchasing the product.

Edited by V8-X