2013 Escape Spied with minimal camo

Another similarly styled vehicle that has been selling like gangbusters though is the Kia Sorento. :shrug:

Do you mean the Sorento or the Sportage?

While neither are really my cup of tea, I like them both better than what I'm seeing from this Escape. And really don't see a great deal of similarity between these two and the Escape, other than an oval emblem on the grille and maybe the rear of the Sportage.

post-12355-0-70771900-1320172557_thumb.jpg

post-12355-0-90564400-1320172565_thumb.jpg

Edited by V8-X

The Escape is a vehicle I would've liked to see with the FNA design language.

(What was the FNA design language? The Ford Edge, Flex, F150 and Mustang carried it: Chamfered 'shoulders', character lines that encircled the vehicle closing the shape in on itself, etc. The prototypes included the 427, Interceptor, Explorer America and SuperChief concept).

The weakness of the FNA design language was that it didn't translate well to compact/subcompact vehicles. The strength was an instantly identifiable overall sculpture that stood out from the competition (compare the 1st gen Edge with the Murano & Lexus RX for best example).

In discarding the FNA design language for the 2nd generation Kinetic language, Ford has, IMO, discarded a unique language for one that is considerably less identifiable.

The Evos has me optimistic, though, about the first attempt at a true global language (right now, it's just FNA getting FoE hand-me-downs).

The Evos, although an open gestalt design (like the Kinetic exercises), carries some of the implied musculature and visual weight that (IMO) were strengths of the FNA language (chamfered shoulders, fender flares), and which one does not see in, for instance, the Hyundai Sonata.

I do not see a significant difference between Kinetic and Evos, beyond the peculiar grille which is just a variation of an existing theme. I am glad that Ford is more contemplative about design than most manufacturers, but they are not doing anything innovative or distinctive.

Edited by BORG

I do not see a significant difference between Kinetic and Evos, beyond the peculiar grille which is just a variation of an existing theme. I am glad that Ford is more contemplative about design than most manufacturers, but they are not doing anything innovative or distinctive.

The archetype for the Kinetic language was the iosis, which as a '4-door-coupe' is a neat comparison to the Evos.

Note the difference in shoulder chamfering and fender flares that add significant visual weight to the Evos as compared with the iosis, which appears almost effete in comparison.

ford_iosis_concept.jpg

fordevosconcept_14.jpg

The iosis draws attention to the wheels by means of these faux cycle fenders that have a very different effect.

If anything the Evos is a descendent of the gorgeous Shelby GR-1. In fact, I wonder if they were done by the same designer:

motor_ford_evos_2.jpg

ford-shelby-GR1.jpg

The archetype for the Kinetic language was the iosis, which as a '4-door-coupe' is a neat comparison to the Evos.

Note the difference in shoulder chamfering and fender flares that add significant visual weight to the Evos as compared with the iosis, which appears almost effete in comparison.

ford_iosis_concept.jpg

fordevosconcept_14.jpg

The iosis draws attention to the wheels by means of these faux cycle fenders that have a very different effect.

If anything the Evos is a descendent of the gorgeous Shelby GR-1. In fact, I wonder if they were done by the same designer:

motor_ford_evos_2.jpg

ford-shelby-GR1.jpg

always wondered why the Iosis never saw light of day....sure looks like something one would actually see on the road today...

Nope. This topic's been deaned.

The Dean of De-railure, must maintain my street cred...... K, on topic, obvious difference between the two Escapes besides wheels is I would say the top of the line utilizes LEDs, the lower looks like plain old reflectors....now the LEDs intrigue me, currently there has been some nice usage of LEDs as stylistic elements...although in the same sentence I will say AUDI has overdone it.....but its kinda cool to recognize a vehicle in the dark....

ford_iosis_concept.jpg

fordevosconcept_14.jpg

motor_ford_evos_2.jpg

ford-shelby-GR1.jpg

The shouldering on the front-end is still very soft and there is very little language there to play with in a conventional production car to strengthen those inert spaces. I do like what's going on with the 3rd quarter and rear design, especially the tucked in look which is indeed innovative...but that style never makes it to product and the Fusion is no exception. I do like the effect of the tucked in grille positioned below the lateral of the headlights, adds additional strength to the car's presence and broadens the shoulders. The problem with these designs is that they are too easily reduced for production, you have to find a language that can't be subverted so easily.

The shouldering on the front-end is still very soft and there is very little language there to play with in a conventional production car to strengthen those inert spaces.

I kind of like the clean look to the front end. I mean, would you rather see Ford do this to the fenders just for the sake of adding curves or apparent depth?

2009-acura-tl.jpg

:runaway:

I kind of like the clean look to the front end. I mean, would you rather see Ford do this to the fenders just for the sake of adding curves or apparent depth?

2009-acura-tl.jpg

whomever signed off on that squid-beaked disaster should be looking for work...

2009-acura-tl.jpg

No of course not! But I want some architecture there with the right proportions. It's not entirely about sculpting.

The shouldering on the front-end is still very soft and there is very little language there to play with in a conventional production car to strengthen those inert spaces.

Okay, it's a surface, not a space, but waiving that (you're not a designer), I don't see your point. Yes, there isn't a bold chamfer as there is on the Edge/Flex/Mustang, but there is no 'softness', no absence of clear line/character.

The key visual feature on the front end, and one which will see production is the razor edge that is reminiscent of, if anything, the '69 Corvette:

Corvette-1969.jpg

Edited by RichardJensen

...The iosis draws attention to the wheels by means of these faux cycle fenders that have a very different effect.

motor_ford_evos_2.jpg

ford-shelby-GR1.jpg

I'm so glad they're getting away from those "faux cycle fenders"

but

comparing the GR-1 to the Evos

IMHO

is something like the before and after of Howard Roark's buildings in the Fountainhead

ie

tho I do see the underlying design as closely related,

the Evos seems rather unnecessarily busy in places.

I wonder if a "suit" (& I include J Mays in that category) felt the need to "dress it up"?

The Evos is an open gestalt design, not a closed gestalt design (the GR-1 is a closed gestalt design).

These additional character lines are intended to, more or less, capture light and shadow dynamically and create an exaggerated sense of motion.

As one who prefers a closed gestalt design (despite a very untidy desk), I prefer the G1 (and the Edge and Mustang). However, the Evos is quite attractive, IMO, despite (or because of?) its busy-ness.

I included that shot of the Explorer America in context with Jim Farley to illustrate that notion of 'collective consciousness': The concept looks like a toy. All of these designs look like toys.

It's a tribute to the talent of Ford's designers. The Camaro may look cartoonish, but it doesn't have that child's toy simplicity that the Mustang has.

• Like 1