2013 Escape Spied with minimal camo

New-2013-Ford-Escape-spy-shot-623x389.jpg

The next-generation, 2013 Ford Escape has just been caught testing on public roads wearing only minimal camouflage, and by the looks of it, the new Escape appears to be close to production-ready.

First previewed by the Vertrek concept at the 2011 Detroit auto show, the new Escape is yet another global vehicle as part of Ford’s One Ford strategy that replaces both the Escape on our shores and the Kuga in Europe. The small crossover wears styling cues seen on other recent Fords such as the Focus and Explorer. The Escape spotted here has tidy, stylish lines and a more rounded shape than the current car.

Continued at LINK

I'm glad the wife got her 2011 instead of waiting for that.

It's a heck of a change going from the current styling to basically a refreshed Kuga,

this is Ford seeking maximum leverage but what do their North American buyers really think?

Are we about to see a huge reorganizing of the Escape's buyer demographic where Ford is

prepared to alienate some existing customers in the hope of bring in even more conquest buyers?

This is a gutsy move, I would have preferred a transitional model but maybe that is not possible

given the extremity in styling change, fingers crossed Ford, this Escape look like a RAV 4.....

Edited by jpd80

It doesn't look bad, and it appears to be true to the concept, but I'm a little disappointed that this is Ford's compact SUV replacement. It's doesn't carry any DNA for any other Ford SUV. If it looked more like a mini Explorer with a painted C pillar, I would okay with it. But to me, it just looks a little too generic. Maybe this opens the door a true SUV between this & the Explorer (Bronco maybe). To me, this is more CUV than SUV. That must be why the C-Max is Hybrid only, otherwise, why would you get this over a C-Max?.

It's a heck of a change going from the current styling to basically a refreshed Kuga,

this is Ford seeking maximum leverage but what do their North American buyers really think?

Are we about to see a huge reorganizing of the Escape's buyer demographic where Ford is

prepared to alienate some existing customers in the hope of bring in even more conquest buyers?

This is a gutsy move, I would have preferred a transitional model but maybe that is not possible

given the extremity in styling change, fingers crossed Ford, this Escape look like a RAV 4.....

I just hope one of the eco engines is available "row your own".....I beleive Pioneer drove a C-max with a stick and the 1.6 and said it was a hoot....

Agreed! My first thought when I saw it was RAV4. Not the front end, but of course from the windshield back from this angle, looks too much like a RAV.

you prefer the current dinosaur???????

Based on style alone, yes, I do like the current version better. And that's saying a lot, cause I'm not the biggest fan of the current Escape style. I'm sure this will grow on me, but will have to come to accept the CRV/RAV4 type style. bleak.

• Like 1

I just hope one of the eco engines is available "row your own".....I beleive Pioneer drove a C-max with a stick and the 1.6 and said it was a hoot....

Current Kuga is available with 6-speed manual and auto trans.

I know we're in Australia but our Escape is a rehash of your pervous model with 4-speed auto,

since no new SUV/CUV Fords are out here at the moment, I convinced wifey to swap RAV4 for

a CX-7, it was the closest thing I could get to the Edge we drove in the US back in 2009,

a little smaller and lighter, it drives great but can also see the difference between a CUV and SUV.

I'm not sure of the exact sizing of this next Escape but opbiously it has to be separated from Edge

so will be interesting to see the mix in the flesh....

Agreed! My first thought when I saw it was RAV4. Not the front end, but of course from the windshield back from this angle, looks too much like a RAV.

Based on style alone, yes, I do like the current version better. And that's saying a lot, cause I'm not the biggest fan of the current Escape style. I'm sure this will grow on me, but will have to come to accept the CRV/RAV4 type style. bleak.

this to the current Escape is like the new Explorer to the previous model.....a necessary change, I hope it performs sales wise as well as the Explorer is doing

• Like 1

Why bother with the camo? If someone saw it going down the road they would just think it was a RAV4 or Kia or something Asian.

I know they needed a re-design, but I am not crazy about knocking off Toyota. Would have been nice if there was one design que that said "yes this is unmistakably a Ford"

Edited by Kev-Mo
  • Like 2

This re-design allows room for Edge to be repositioned squarely between Escape and Explorer. Edge needs to go on a diet and lose about 500-700 lbs and it would be a great step up from (new) Escape. I believe Ford is re-positioning Escape where it belongs....as it stands right now, there is overlap from Escape to Edge....

this to the current Escape is like the new Explorer to the previous model.....a necessary change, I hope it performs sales wise as well as the Explorer is doing

No, I have no doubt that the current Escape was in need of an update. I have no problems with updating the beast. And I'm not worried about its off-road worthiness, as it was a CUV before, with basic abilities it most likely won't lose. My problem is the style shouts "bootleg RAV-4". To me, it has very little resemblance to the Vertek, which I actually kind of liked the style of.

No, I have no doubt that the current Escape was in need of an update. I have no problems with updating the beast. And I'm not worried about its off-road worthiness, as it was a CUV before, with basic abilities it most likely won't lose. My problem is the style shouts "bootleg RAV-4". To me, it has very little resemblance to the Vertek, which I actually kind of liked the style of.

I hear what you are saying....heres to some surprizes when the camo comes off....hopefully a tad more distinction....

I'm glad the wife got her 2011 instead of waiting for that.

Count me as another one that is glad to have a 2011. No doubt this will probably ride and handle better, but style wise it does nothing for me and just looks like another "me-too" rounded off CUV with a blue oval on the front instead of oval shaped T.

The current one might be a "dinosaur" compared to this one, but style wise I'd take the baby Ford truck look over the RAV4 look any day.

So is it time for a new Escape... yes... however the new style completely changes the character of the vehicle from an adventurous looking little SUV to another metrosexual wagon.

Some people here claim that what people really want is a Focus wagon, compared to a trucky looking CUV... so we shall see what happens.

Edited by 2005Explorer

Short of the headlights and huge wheels, it looks almost exactly like the concept........................... and next to nothing like the Rav4.

Some of you say it does not look Ford like?? The fact that it carries alot of the look of the Focus, makes it "not" Ford like??

Not at all what i was suggesting.

The concern is going from Escape's current but dated styling (still a huge success) to styling of new Focus

combined with a glasshouse similar to RAV4. There is a difference in that to what you're suggesting...

The new car looks what it is, a Euro Ford, will the market be as readily accepting of it as buyers are with the current model?

That is the real question....

Edited by jpd80

The new car looks what it is, a Euro Ford, will the market be as readily accepting of it as buyers are with the current model?

That is the real question....

Basically they have taken a vehicle that looked to be styled by the same people that styled the F-150 and SuperDuty to a vehicle that appears to be styled by the same people that styled the Focus and Fiesta.

The real question should be would people rather buy a little CUV that looks like it has F-Series DNA to a little CUV that looks like it has Focus and Fiesta DNA? In Europe it is a no brainer that they would prefer the small european car look... In the United States? Well we love our trucks so much that the F-Series has been the Number 1 seller in the U.S. for so many years I have lost count. Americans love trucks and although the current Escape isn't much of a truck at all it does look like a little truck and that look is pure American.

I'm not sure what will happen, but we will soon find out. I'm sure it will be a good vehicle, but unless something really makes it stand out it looks to be lost in a sea of small crossovers that all look the same.

EcoSport looks truck like

Escape looks car like

Edge looks car like

Explorer looks truck like

Questions?!

Except EcoSport is not in the U.S. so basically Ford has decided that truck styling is out in the U.S. despite the fact that trucks are the best selling vehicles in the U.S. LOL The only problem I have with the One Ford concept is that you must assume that U.S. customers have the same exact tastes and preferences as customers in different parts of the world. Maybe they do... maybe they don't, but I guess as One Ford continues to move forward we shall find out.