Focus EV to cost $39,995

Wow! What is the Energi going to cost if the battery powered car costs as much as the Volt? This seems unpossible, they must be inflating the pricing to control volume to very minimal levels...there is no way a Focus with electrics needs to be that expensive.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

There is a $7500 tax credit on them also.....

And its priced with the Volt and Leaf...remember the Leaf is a subcompact (based on the Versa)

I don't think Ford has any expectations of this selling like gang busters...its new tech that needs another 5-10 years before it become really affordable.

There is a $7500 tax credit on them also.....

And its priced with the Volt and Leaf...remember the Leaf is a subcompact (based on the Versa)

I don't think Ford has any expectations of this selling like gang busters...its new tech that needs another 5-10 years before it become really affordable.

The leaf is $5k cheaper, the Volt is a different car and Ford's answer is still on its way.

Edited by BORG

Wow! What is the Energi going to cost if the battery powered car costs as much as the Volt? This seems unpossible, they must be inflating the pricing to control volume to very minimal levels...there is no way a Focus with electrics needs to be that expensive.

Energi will be cheaper but slightly more than a regular hybrid...and maybe the best compromise of the 3...

• Like 1

um, compared with what Borg....its content , driving prowess, sophistication will stomp both the Volt and Leaf....still not sold on 100 % electric, but this will be at the top of the heap....

well when you make one car and the president of the company buys it, its no wonder its sold out....

So Dean....did ya order a new Focus ST yet? Power to weight ratio should put Focus ST into high 5 second range as far as 0-60 times go and some awfully great fun in finding apex of curve and accelerating out. You may even get away with some ittle Ken Block Gymkana fun. 265lbs. of torque is awesome number for a compact car. I have to admit...that car is tempting and only rival will be Fiesta ST.

um, compared with what Borg....its content , driving prowess, sophistication will stomp both the Volt and Leaf....still not sold on 100 % electric, but this will be at the top of the heap....

The new EV Focus should sell pretty well in CA and in some parts of the East Coast. It will take a long time for EV to catch on in Midwest. Maybe when battery costs start to moderate a bit in price and range is extended. As it is, I doubt if Ford is producing many EV Focuses. Probably no more than 1,000/month if that.

So Dean....did ya order a new Focus ST yet? Power to weight ratio should put Focus ST into high 5 second range as far as 0-60 times go and some awfully great fun in finding apex of curve and accelerating out. You may even get away with some ittle Ken Block Gymkana fun. 265lbs. of torque is awesome number for a compact car. I have to admit...that car is tempting and only rival will be Fiesta ST.

too much on my plate right now, 2 cars and two mortgages ( although ones a rental, but still a small loss )...cant wait to drive it though....although the way the Fiesta is running, may just keep that and............

The new EV Focus should sell pretty well in CA and in some parts of the East Coast. It will take a long time for EV to catch on in Midwest. Maybe when battery costs start to moderate a bit in price and range is extended. As it is, I doubt if Ford is producing many EV Focuses. Probably no more than 1,000/month if that.

you may be correst, I do wonder if this is some crafty marketing though to promote interst in the more viable solution...the Energi.....

From the archives

Ford isn't betting on big customer demand. Mr. Marakby states, "Volume expectations as we've announced is still below 10,000 units on these vehicles... We're not planning 100,000 of these."

He elaborates, "The battery electrics because of some of the challenges... cold temperature, practicality, no engine, range -- we believe that's still going to be in the low volume. That's why we're planning the low volume. If the market takes off and there's a lot of interest, we have the technology and we can ramp up the volume."

That may be necessary, given that the Nissan LEAF -- Ford's primary competitor -- has sold out until mid-2011 with 17,000 preorders placed in the U.S. and Japan. Nissan is bringing three factories online and plans on producing 200,000 LEAFs globally a year within a couple years -- an incredibly high volume. Even GM is talking about building 30,000 Volts in 2012 (with 10,000 in 2010/2011) -- though the Volt is in a slightly different class given that it's an gasoline extended-range battery electric vehicle.

But Mr. Marakby says that the initial enthusiasm may wane when customers encounter the headaches that come with BEVs. He elaborates:

You're relying significantly at the battery being at this nice temperature range when you can't guarantee that in every condition. Sure, if you charge it at night, every day, [but] you have to alter your behavior to do that.

These vehicles aren't good for everyone.

So why is Ford bothering at all? It seems, based on what Mr. Marakby said, the reasoning boils down to two key points. First, Ford believes that some customers will still buy BEVs despite the problems -- Ford's diverse approach assumes that customers want a variety of different kinds of vehicles.

Secondly, while a battery pack does not currently equal a gas tank in energy density per space and is still very expensive, Ford realizes that eventually battery tech may become affordable and reliable enough to become the best, most affordable solution for the majority of its customers. So Ford is getting its feet wet, without diving in, in order to position itself to be on top of this market when it matures. And the key word there, if Ford's assessment is accurate, is "when".

Ford's biggest competition will likely be the Toyota Prius PHEV which will launch in 2011 at an estimated price of $48,000 USD

http://www.dailytech.com/Fords+Electric+Vision+New+Hybrids+700+MileRange+PHEV+by+2012/article19542.htm

hey I hear ya, but I sure seeing a lot of Nissan Leafs lately.....

You must live in the sunbelt.

YTD, Nissan has sold a whopping 8,048 Leafs in the U.S. Most of those sales, I wager, have been in southern California.

The market has spoken, there is no interest in an electric car that costs north of $30,000.

AFAIK, there will be limited places these all-electrics can exist without adding even more infrastructure like the $10,000 charging station for example. I think there are limited cities with charge facilities as well. So, we have limited vehicles built for limited areas and a higher tranaction price for a limited market. I think Ford is hedgeing it's bets on the market will buy these over it's some-what competion (all-electric regardless of size) and make a profit in the process. That sounds at first blush reasonable. The funny thing is I remember when my father had the Excursion on his lot. All the flak it took but they ordered a limited number and sold everyone of them at a profit. Go figure.

You must live in the sunbelt.

YTD, Nissan has sold a whopping 8,048 Leafs in the U.S. Most of those sales, I wager, have been in southern California.

The market has spoken, there is no interest in an electric car that costs north of $30,000.

That explains the interest we have had already for our allocation.....sigh.....of ONE unit! :banghead: