Chevrolet HHR

Dodge Dakota

Ford Ranger

Honda Element

Lotus Elise

Mazda RX-8

Mitsubishi Eclipse/ Endeavour

Vlovo S40/ V50

I'm probably missing one like the Chrysler PT Cruiser, but what the hell. I'm sure someone else can add to the list.

Buick Lucerne

Ford Crown Victoria

Linclon Town Car

Cadillac DTS/ STS

Chevrolet HHR

Dodge Dakota

Ford Ranger

Honda Element

Lotus Elise

Mazda RX-8

Mitsubishi Eclipse/ Endeavour

Vlovo S40/ V50

I'm probably missing one like the Chrysler PT Cruiser, but what the hell. I'm sure someone else can add to the list.

Bye Bye Ranger, you'll be greatly missed by those who truly knew you.

And I really liked the S40.

The Eclipse took the wrong route during the 3rd Gen restyle, lost the tuner market and has never recovered.

The Elise is the only one on that list that I could see being at all desirable 25 years from now. Perhaps the RX-8, but only as a donor car to swap a real engine into. ;)

Yeah, I was surprised to see the Elise go as it's a cool little racer. Guess Lotus couldn't get enough Toyota V6 motors or something along those lines. Spells end for Tesla Roadster also as it uses Elise body. I'd like to see Mazda do another sports car like the RX with more conventional engine. I know however that Mazda has bigger concerns right now, and it still has the Miata.

The Elise is the only one on that list that I could see being at all desirable 25 years from now. Perhaps the RX-8, but only as a donor car to swap a real engine into. ;)

An RX-8 with a 3.5EB and 6-Speed manual would sure be a lot of fun, and probably get better gas mileage.

Edited by NLPRacing
  • Like 1

Heck, doesn't the F150 with the 3.5EB get better FE than the RX-8?

I always liked the RX-8. A friend has one, and he has problems with it constantly!

Always felt Mazda should have at least offered the rotary in the Miata. The power-to-weight ratio of the RX-8 was just too poor without turbochargers. Also would have liked to see a separate oil system and reservoir for the oil injectors. A 7 qt tank of motor/2-cycle oil would have been easier to keep full than constantly topping off the crankcase.

Always felt Mazda should have at least offered the rotary in the Miata.

I keep hearing about Mazda struggling over trying to make the business case for their next RX, which mystifies me considering they have an easy solution: Miata coupe with a Rotary. Throw in just enough unique sheetmetal to make it stand apart. Bing, Bang, done. Shouldn't cost too much, would wipe the floor with the FT-86, and its not like people are going to accuse the mX-5 platform of being "unworthy" or anything like that.

"Not a good year for old people there."

I see more and more elder drivers in beige Camrys, etc than ever. The current 65 y/o is a Baby Boomer born in 1946, and has no affinity for the full sized Panthers or LeSabres, ooops Lucernes. Bye Bye!

Yes, the average age of Camry, Accord, Civic, Corolla buyer has really gone up last few decades to where they are some of oldest in industry. Except for a couple models, Toyota and Honda vehicles are for oldsters. I even see drivers over 70 and 80 driving Hondas and Camrys. Ironicially, I see a lot of young people driving old CVs, LeSabres, Town Cars, Bonnevilles, and the like. They are considered cool cars by lots of young people, and if old enough, easy to work on and cheap to buy. I also see tons of teenagers driving Tauruses from the 90's. Pick them up for $2,500 or less and drive the wheels off. So in my observations new Honda and Toyotas are bought by oldsters and youngsters buy old American iron from 80's and 90's.