2013 Lincoln MKS World Debut

Ho hum, nothing special to see here. Sure the refinements appear to be a great improvement. Problem is the styling went in the wrong direction. Not a bad overall design, it's okay. But could have been much better.

The last nose was far prettier.

Totally agree!

It's a Pontiac!... No it's an Oldsmobile!

Glad I'm not the only one who see's it.

Not really sure what some of you expect, this was an mce, not redesign.

Isn't the upcoming Stang an MCE? It improved in style, no matter how little. Why should we accept the MKS MCE job to go the other way in style?

I wouldn't call the new MKS nose clip terrible, but it sure isn't as nice as the present generaion. The present one is very distinctive and tasteful. This one is very generic and looks like a Buick or whateveer to me. I can see Ford designers playing around with the lights and lower area of grille, but they should have pretty much left the split wing grille alone. Changing just to change is not a good idea unless the change is better. In this case, it wasn't. You can tell by all the negatives on here about it and I'm sure other auto online sites.

My uncle has a 2010 MKS in silver. That car is simply beautiful in my opinion. Of course it's optioned out to the gills, and I do dislike some of the elements. But that car looks so much better than what we see here. I'll admit, the advancements/refinements they installed on this version will make it a better vehicle. But as style goes, the outgoing model is a much better looker.

its better than the last iteration thats for sure, WAY less heavy handed, classier, want to see one in BLACK.....

With this new CCD Lincoln exlusive suspension system, we are finally starting to see where Ford is taking this brand. Different top hat and technology exclusives for Lincoln only, especially with suspension. Certainly for Lincoln to survive the $10,000+ premium over Ford nameplate has to be justified in more tangible ways. This is certainly one way considering they will be using Ford architecture, engines, and chassis. CCD and 8 speed auto will further differentiate the brand along with different tophat and interiors. And then later down the road after they burn through the initial $1 billion downpayment on Lincoln, further differentation if in fact Lincoln does survive to that next step. At least with MCE MKS and MKT we get to see some results of Lincoln's efforts last year or so and a glimpse of where they are going with the brand.

Ho hum, nothing special to see here. Sure the refinements appear to be a great improvement. Problem is the styling went in the wrong direction. Not a bad overall design, it's okay. But could have been much better.

Totally agree!

Glad I'm not the only one who see's it.

Isn't the upcoming Stang an MCE? It improved in style, no matter how little. Why should we accept the MKS MCE job to go the other way in style?

My uncle has a 2010 MKS in silver. That car is simply beautiful in my opinion. Of course it's optioned out to the gills, and I do dislike some of the elements. But that car looks so much better than what we see here. I'll admit, the advancements/refinements they installed on this version will make it a better vehicle. But as style goes, the outgoing model is a much better looker.

Remember, styling is for most part subjective. Those who are saying the new MKS is ugly are not even close to being objective. Front end generic, not a bad description, but hideous is not even close to being realistic. The designers didn't do enough to cause the MKS to go from handsome to hideous. Not even close. Nothing more than online bullshit talk. Furthermore, AGAIN, no one on here has seen the MCE MKS in person. You have to look at the vehicle in its totality and that means seeing it in person up close from every angle and getting a tactile feel for the vehicle by climbing in and adjusting it to you. Even then, it would still take an extensive drive to get to know it even better to deal with the changes made to it. Armchair quarterbacking gets stale after awhile.

To show you how subjective styling/color is, IMO, silver is the worst color imaginable to show off a new car in as Ford did with photo of MKS in silver. Talk about a generic shade of silver that does nothing for a new car. Might as well paint it vomit beige and be done with it. IMO, a lusterous, deep red would have been the best color. Draw out and define its lines and turn some heads. I saw a new Explorer in candy apple red metallic with matching red grille other day on road and it definitely turned my head and I'm sure some others. In medium silver, it wouldn't have been noticed. My opinion (not worth a cup of coffee), is as good as anyones and as subjective as the next.

Current Drives:

2002 MATADOR RED Ford Taurus SES Sport

2001 ORIENT RED METALLIC Porsche Boxster

P.S........only good thing about silver is vehicle always looks clean and thus doesn't have to be washed much and probably number one reason it's a popular color. I like washing my vehicles by hand often..good exercise.

Remember, styling is for most part subjective. Those who are saying the new MKS is ugly are not even close to being objective. Front end generic, not a bad description, but hideous is not even close to being realistic. The designers didn't do enough to cause the MKS to go from handsome to hideous. Not even close. Nothing more than online bullshit talk. Furthermore, AGAIN, no one on here has seen the MCE MKS in person. You have to look at the vehicle in its totality and that means seeing it in person up close from every angle and getting a tactile feel for the vehicle by climbing in and adjusting it to you. Even then, it would still take an extensive drive to get to know it even better to deal with the changes made to it. Armchair quarterbacking gets stale after awhile.

I never stated this was hideous. Simply that it took a step in the wrong direction, as the outgoing model was more appealing. Doesn't mean the style is bad, heck it's better than other vehicles on the road today. It's simply not an exciting or desirable design, too bland. And people can make any conclusion they want about a vehicle in person or via images. Personally, if a vehicle doesn't grab your attention in a picture, why would you want to really go see it in person? Sure it may look better in person, I totally understand that. But it doesn't mean the in person view is going to make it look light years better than the pics you saw. Heck, if someone told me the Aztek looked so much better in person than images, I'd laugh to no end. So while the MKS may truly look better in person, the images don't make it desirable enough for me to really want to go out and see it. Vehicles like the Raptor, Stang and Flex for examples, show good in person or pics and make it desirable to actually go in and see those vehicles in person. This MKS, not so much.

Not ugly... not beautiful... just sort of blends in. Lincoln still has a long ways to go. Maybe in another two or three years. Are standalone Lincoln dealers going to survive until we actually see new product or is the next MKZ going to be so good it will carry them? It should be interesting.

Right now, the present MKZ is the best selling Lincoln in its lineup most months. IMO, Lincoln needs another SUV/CUV to go along with the MKX very badly. Until Lincoln gets one, Lincoln dealers will be doing a lot of sitting. I know guys like Kirby try to spin the MKT sales into not being bad at all, but Lincoln needs a version of the Ford Explorer and Escape pronto. Two new vehicles that hopefully can sell at a Lincoln premium and sell better than MKX does now. Lincoln needs a couple sales leaders that can fund sales duds like the MKT and even MKS.

To show you how subjective styling/color is, IMO, silver is the worst color imaginable to show off a new car in as Ford did with photo of MKS in silver. Talk about a generic shade of silver that does nothing for a new car. Might as well paint it vomit beige and be done with it. IMO, a lusterous, deep red would have been the best color. Draw out and define its lines and turn some heads. I saw a new Explorer in candy apple red metallic with matching red grille other day on road and it definitely turned my head and I'm sure some others. In medium silver, it wouldn't have been noticed. My opinion (not worth a cup of coffee), is as good as anyones and as subjective as the next.

Current Drives:

2002 MATADOR RED Ford Taurus SES Sport

2001 ORIENT RED METALLIC Porsche Boxster

P.S........only good thing about silver is vehicle always looks clean and thus doesn't have to be washed much and probably number one reason it's a popular color. I like washing my vehicles by hand often..good exercise.

And that is your personal opinion, as I personally dislike any/all cars in any shade of red, except the cinnamon color on the Taurus. Look at my truck, silver and I love it. Have had two silver Ford trucks prior too and have owned 3 dark blue Ford trucks/SUV's. Sure the clean silver look is a nice feature (if you can call it that), but not why I purchased the car, nor did my uncle. Heck, I like the Silver Raptors the best too. All depends on the color that captures your eye. Heck, even a friend of mine traded his black '10 Subaru Legacy GT for a silver '11 STI. He had always loved black cars, but was drawn to how the silver popped to him on the STI over the black.

So like you stated, color is just as subjective as the design of the vehicle is.

I never stated this was hideous. Simply that it took a step in the wrong direction, as the outgoing model was more appealing. Doesn't mean the style is bad, heck it's better than other vehicles on the road today. It's simply not an exciting or desirable design, too bland. And people can make any conclusion they want about a vehicle in person or via images. Personally, if a vehicle doesn't grab your attention in a picture, why would you want to really go see it in person? Sure it may look better in person, I totally understand that. But it doesn't mean the in person view is going to make it look light years better than the pics you saw. Heck, if someone told me the Aztek looked so much better in person than images, I'd laugh to no end. So while the MKS may truly look better in person, the images don't make it desirable enough for me to really want to go out and see it. Vehicles like the Raptor, Stang and Flex for examples, show good in person or pics and make it desirable to actually go in and see those vehicles in person. This MKS, not so much.

Sorry, I didn't mean to point to you personally, but those on here and other online comment sections that used words like hideous and awful to describe the MCE MKS. Not sure how one can use those adjectives describing a very mild MCE at least exterior wise. Very mild. I've never been in love with the MKS, but always thought it was a handsome vehicle, especially in red. And for most part Lincoln did decent job of improving it so that hopefully for 2012 MKS sales will not drop another 20% or so.

And that is your personal opinion, as I personally dislike any/all cars in any shade of red, except the cinnamon color on the Taurus. Look at my truck, silver and I love it. Have had two silver Ford trucks prior too and have owned 3 dark blue Ford trucks/SUV's. Sure the clean silver look is a nice feature (if you can call it that), but not why I purchased the car, nor did my uncle. Heck, I like the Silver Raptors the best too. All depends on the color that captures your eye. Heck, even a friend of mine traded his black '10 Subaru Legacy GT for a silver '11 STI. He had always loved black cars, but was drawn to how the silver popped to him on the STI over the black.

So like you stated, color is just as subjective as the design of the vehicle is.

Hey, I once had a black Stang convert 5.0 in black with red pinstripes and the alloy slot wheels. Looked great washed, but you could acutally see the dust descend upon it in garage and every blemish was magnified 100 times by the color. Last black vehicle I ever owned. My company cars were either white or silver...safe bet huh? Kind of like painting your walls beige. Sorry, I couldn't help it.

I do not see this design as a step in the wrong direction, they've perfected what was there and improved the design quality and craftsmanship. If you didn't like the design before, you're not going to like it now. Essentially there is no new design direction at Lincoln, just an evolution. I think were the disappointment happens is because this is just not clever or innovative, it does very little to change attitudes.

Lincoln-MKS-Hennessey-Performance.jpg

01-2013-lincoln-mks-press-628.jpg

Edited by BORG

Right now, the present MKZ is the best selling Lincoln in its lineup most months. IMO, Lincoln needs another SUV/CUV to go along with the MKX very badly. Until Lincoln gets one, Lincoln dealers will be doing a lot of sitting. I know guys like Kirby try to spin the MKT sales into not being bad at all, but Lincoln needs a version of the Ford Explorer and Escape pronto. Two new vehicles that hopefully can sell at a Lincoln premium and sell better than MKX does now. Lincoln needs a couple sales leaders that can fund sales duds like the MKT and even MKS.

I agree they need Explorer and Escape like CUVs. As for MKT sales, they're certainly not good. But they're not necessarily low enough to warrant killing it, especially when we haven't seen how livery sales will affect it.

One thing you need to comprehend is that the more expensive a vehicle is the smaller the market and the lower the unit sales will be. If you want to complain about how many MKTs are sold you need to look at it in comparison to other vehicles in that market, not compared to other cheaper/smaller vehicles. And in that context, it's not terrible. There are others that sell much less. That doesn't make it a home run - it just means it's not scraping the bottom of the barrel either.

I think the narrative would be vastly different had the MKZ been allowed to debut first as was planned, "Here's the future direction of Lincoln, but we're freshening up the MKS and MKT for now, too."

Instead, a modestly updated MKS and MKT have been saddled with the unrealistic expectations Ford themselves have created with this "new Lincoln" plan.

• Like 1

I think the narrative would be vastly different had the MKZ been allowed to debut first as was planned, "Here's the future direction of Lincoln, but we're freshening up the MKS and MKT for now, too."

Instead, a modestly updated MKS and MKT have been saddled with the unrealistic expectations Ford themselves have created with this "new Lincoln" plan.

In fairness, the MKZ was supposed to have debuted months ago but got delayed when Wolf arrived.

We also have to remember that the MKZ was already under way when the new plan for Lincoln was implemented.. so, while it was delayed, we don't know how much of it Wolf had a say in as far as design is concerned. It is possible that there are pieces of design that were already locked in. So MKX, or MKEscape will be the first all new vehicle for Lincoln under Wolf, correct?

I do not see this design as a step in the wrong direction, they've perfected what was there and improved the design quality and craftsmanship. If you didn't like the design before, you're not going to like it now. Essentially there is no new design direction at Lincoln, just an evolution. I think were the disappointment happens is because this is just not clever or innovative, it does very little to change attitudes.

Lincoln-MKS-Hennessey-Performance.jpg

01-2013-lincoln-mks-press-628.jpg

Only item I like better from an appearance point of view, is the lower part of the front bumper and fog lamps. Otherwise, the outgoing model gets the nod in appearance from me. Fromt his angle, I like the older headlamps, grille and hood much much better.

Edited by V8-X

Essentially there is no new design direction at Lincoln, just an evolution.

You say evolve. I say devolve. The thinner slats give it a "less substantial" appearance in my eyes. I like the shapes better, particularly in the lower fascia, but the grille looks cheaper to me -- like the crap aftermarket billet grilles i mentioned before.

You say evolve. I say devolve. The thinner slats give it a "less substantial" appearance in my eyes. I like the shapes better, particularly in the lower fascia, but the grille looks cheaper to me -- like the crap aftermarket billet grilles i mentioned before.

For me the biggest loss in the new design is the cut lines for the hood which raked neatly from the grille to the cowel...they've spread those out so the hood looks flatter and wider, not a good thing.

The problem is that the wilder slats don't work on some vehicles...like the MKT...but then that thing was broken from the get go...

I don't know how you can say this looks like a billet grill...its detailing is far more 3D then flat....

The problem is that the wilder slats don't work on some vehicles...like the MKT...but then that thing was broken from the get go...

I don't know how you can say this looks like a billet grill...its detailing is far more 3D then flat....

Well, the shape of the MKT was the reasoning for that. I think the wider slats would work fine on the revised 2013 MKT grille as well.

The only "detailing" I see is a little curve at the bottom. Am I missing something else? The detailing on the wider slats looked much more elegant to me.

This grille reminds me of some crappy 90's Buick Skylark or something.

1992_buick_skylark_4_dr_base_sedan-pic-1569599890960329029.jpeg

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 1

I'm with Nick on this one. The new grille look like a JC Whitney knock off billet grille you could throw onto any car. Used to see billet grilles on trucks all the time. The fad has worn off and don't see them nearly as much anymore.

We also have to remember that the MKZ was already under way when the new plan for Lincoln was implemented.. so, while it was delayed, we don't know how much of it Wolf had a say in as far as design is concerned. It is possible that there are pieces of design that were already locked in. So MKX, or MKEscape will be the first all new vehicle for Lincoln under Wolf, correct?

The fact that the public unveiling of the MKZ concept has been delayed for a year tells me they're making major changes, not just tweaks.