MFT Update Reviewed

Excellent and really informed review of how they improved the system...makes me wonder where the info came from? I'm especially glad to hear the system doesn't reboot every time you start the car and instead suspends its state.

Hey Borg, how does MFT and MLT now rate compared to Cadillac's new system?

I heard that your were really impressed with the latter after it was revealed recently.

Are the two the same but different, which has better long term survivability with tech upgrades?

Yesterday I got a call from Ford Customer Service. The rep asked me how my MFT system was working since my 2.11 update. I told him about the minor glitches I was still experiencing like occasionally losing my USB connection, sometimes the song title and album art was not changing with the new song and sometimes when I play music from either USB port, it wouldn't show anything on the screen, even though the music plays and goes to the next song. It's not the black screen, it's no song title, artist, artwork, 0/0 songs and the progress bar was not moving. He said the new software update will solve those issues and improve the overall performance and usability of the system and added a USB drive will be mailed to owners early in the first quarter, around late January. He apologized for the problems I was still having and for my trouble and time, offered me a complementary three year maintenance service package. All I had to do is answer a few questions and I suppose not be a dick about it. It pays to be a loyal Ford customer, thanks Ford

Seeing that video has me all juiced for the upgrade. I hope the drive comes before Jan. 14 so I can enjoy the system on my trip to Phoenix.

Edited by transitman
  • Like 1

Hey Borg, how does MFT and MLT now rate compared to Cadillac's new system?

I heard that your were really impressed with the latter after it was revealed recently.

Are the two the same but different, which has better long term survivability with tech upgrades?

I haven't handled the CUE system personally so I can't be the voice of reason on the comparison, but hardware (multi-touch capacitive touch display with a 3-core processor) promises a smoother and quicker system. What I don't like in the CUE system is the UI, which looks inferior to Ford's quadrant/color-coded organization of information. And Ford's capacitive touch panels, especially in Lincoln, are far superior ergonomically and visually. I mean just look at the illuminated and slightly angled volume and fan speed sliders in the Lincoln's vs the CUE system. So I don't feel quite as bad about how Lincoln stacks up, but they still need to address their horrible resistive touch displays and speed problems.

I haven't handled the CUE system personally so I can't be the voice of reason on the comparison, but hardware (multi-touch capacitive touch display with a 3-core processor) promises a smoother and quicker system. What I don't like in the CUE system is the UI, which looks inferior to Ford's quadrant/color-coded organization of information. And Ford's capacitive touch panels, especially in Lincoln, are far superior ergonomically and visually. I mean just look at the illuminated and slightly angled volume and fan speed sliders in the Lincoln's vs the CUE system. So I don't feel quite as bad about how Lincoln stacks up, but they still need to address their horrible resistive touch displays and speed problems.

OK, thanks.

I sounds like there's still room for improvement in both systems and probably comes down to who can supply

the most user friendly and bug free system, in respect to software, usability and hardware resilliance. Perhaps as

manufacturers get on top of robust capacitive discharge touch screens the cost goes down as reliability comes up...

Edited by jpd80

OK, thanks.

I sounds like there's still room for improvement in both systems and probably comes down to who can supply

the most user friendly and bug free system, in respect to software, usability and hardware resilliance. Perhaps as

manufacturers get on top of robust capacitive discharge touch screens the cost goes down as reliability comes up...

Chrysler's Uconnect wins here. It doesn't have the power that MFT and CUE have, but it's much faster, easier to use, and perfectly reliable.

• Like 1

Chrysler's Uconnect wins here. It doesn't have the power that MFT and CUE have, but it's much faster, easier to use, and perfectly reliable.

" It doesn't have the power.."

Exactly. If it did it would probably have the same teething problems. So, is Chryco going to sit back and let Ford/GM do all the grunt work and then come out with a a new/improved U-connect and then act like they invented the tech?

Way to lead.

Exactly. If it did it would probably have the same teething problems. So, is Chryco going to sit back and let Ford/GM do all the grunt work and then come out with a a new/improved U-connect and then act like they invented the tech?

Way to lead.

Way to lead.

So instead of coming out with a user friendly system that works, you think it's better to come out with something extremely feature laden that constantly trips over its own feet? I'm an engineer, I like new tech, but I get frustrated with crap that doesn't work. As of right now, MFT is crap that doesn't work. The 2013 update looks promising, but I'm going to take a wait and see approach before calling it fixed.

Five years from now, the only people who will care which company was the leader are internet forum posters. Actual consumers just want a system that works.

Edited by atvman

So instead of coming out with a user friendly system that works, you think it's better to come out with something extremely feature laden that constantly trips over its own feet? I'm an engineer, I like new tech, but I get frustrated with crap that doesn't work. As of right now, MFT is crap that doesn't work. The 2013 update looks promising, but I'm going to take a wait and see approach before calling it fixed.

Five years from now, the only people who will care which company was the leader are internet forum posters. Actual consumers just want a system that works.

MFT does work for most owners. And Ford had Sync 4 years ago and it worked just fine.

If Uconnect is so great, why isn't anyone talking about it? My friend has a newer Charger R/T with it and I wasn't that impressed by it.

What does it do excactly that MFT or Caddy's new system doesn't do?

At first blush (from my very limited experience with it) all it does show pretty graphics, much like a Radio unit with Nav and I'm assuming it has some sort of bluetooth intergration with a cell phone...and Sync had that prior....so what exactly is so great about it?

If Uconnect is so great, why isn't anyone talking about it? My friend has a newer Charger R/T with it and I wasn't that impressed by it.

At first blush (from my very limited experience with it) all it does show pretty graphics, much like a Radio unit with Nav and I'm assuming it has some sort of bluetooth intergration with a cell phone...and Sync had that prior....so what exactly is so great about it?

I had Uconnect in a rental Durango a few months ago. Granted I only had it for a few days but nothing about it made me go "wow!".

Before our Flex became a rattletrap, SYNC was my biggest disappointment with it.

What specifically? I can't imagine life without SYNC in my 2008 Fusion. I have exactly one complaint: It cannot understand "Play track Birdland". I haven't run into any other issues besides this one recognition issue. And a simple "Play artist Weather Report" or "Play artist Maynard Ferguson" takes care of that.

What specifically? I can't imagine life without SYNC in my 2008 Fusion.

In fairness, my two biggest gripes have been "mostly" fixed.

The mic placement, which I had the TSB performed for, but resulted in a hideous black microphone sticking out of my headliner looking like it's straight out of the 80s.

The SYNC volume (prompts etc) was 2x louder than anything else. I couldn't use SYNC with my wife or son in the car. Ford has since released SYNC Volume Control to allow you to adjust the volume down, I've got it pegged at 50% (Which is the lowest it will go) and it's still more than a little too loud.

Edited by sullynd

I have a Charger R/T with the latest and greatest 8.4 Uconnect. The thing it does that MFT doesn't do is work. You guys can't deny MFT's problems. It single handily killed Ford's quality ratings with CR and JD Power. It's so bad, Ford rewrote the software for 2013.

Using the same logic:

GM's mild hybrid Malibu was superb. Sure, it didn't deliver impressive fuel economy, and wasn't as "techie" as those pesky Prius and Escape Hybrids, but dadgum, it worked!

Stupid comparison. Better hybrids like the Prius and Fusion sit atop all the quality ratings.

Stupid comparison. Better hybrids like the Prius and Fusion sit atop all the quality ratings.

It's also a "stupid comparison" to mention UConnect and MFT in the same breath. SYNC and UConnect, sure. But MFT and UConnect? No.

And nobody here denies that there were issues at launch, but most have been fixed with the patches, and the rewritten software looks to be superb.

When you ride the leading edge of technology, you take a risk. The MyFord Touch system had a bad launch, but is currently the most comprehensive system of its kind. UConnect is Chrysler's response to technology that Ford had in 2007.

I have a Charger R/T with the latest and greatest 8.4 Uconnect. The thing it does that MFT doesn't do is work. You guys can't deny MFT's problems. It single handily killed Ford's quality ratings with CR and JD Power. It's so bad, Ford rewrote the software for 2013.

MFT does work. The only complaint that we have is the voice recognition. It worked well for most commands, but has trouble with some city and street names. Of course, the operator assist pretty much cured that problem. :)

Did it have problems? Absolutely. Ford probably released it about 6 months sooner than they should have. Version 2.11 has been pretty solid so far, so it looks like they have fixed most of the issues. I am curious to see how the new version performs when they send out the updates.