Ford officially kills E-series/Econoline, replaces with Transit van

Um when does Truck=Van?

Keep on topic...this is about the Econoline or E-series, NOT the F-series

True-however, with all the emphasis on platform sharing, "one Ford" etc, interesting questions are raised as to any relationship between the arrival of Transit, the development of a new medium duty-and to me that primarily means class 6 and 7 as well as just how you integrate class 3-5 into any of this. Avon Lakes role in this only adds to the puzzle.

Bottomline as I see it, not a nice clean issue that is centered on only the evolutiuon of E series.

I was told the V-10 is not cheap to build. 30 valves, balance shaft, 2 extra piston/ring package/rods, ect.. The whole reason for the 6.2L was to make an inexpensive replacement. Yes, there was some economy in manufacturing and parts commonality because the V-10 was so similar to the 5.4L, but soon (with the demise of the E series) the V-10 will be an orphan.

I was under this impression as well. Adding DI to the 6.2 will put its performance right on top of the current V10. Personally I think Ford is just biding their time, until they release the DI version of the 6.2. Then they will start at the low end Class 2 and start rolling it out upward towards class 6-7.

There is an Econoline mafia? What is their weapon of choice....a stick shaped like a Twin-I-Beam?? :hysterical:

You are starting to make me nervous. The Super Duty is pretty much an N.A. only platform, has been around a long time in it's present form.........

Panther, Ranger, Econoline...............Super Duty???

I was told the V-10 is not cheap to build. 30 valves, balance shaft, 2 extra piston/ring package/rods, ect.. The whole reason for the 6.2L was to make an inexpensive replacement. Yes, there was some economy in manufacturing and parts commonality because the V-10 was so similar to the 5.4L, but soon (with the demise of the E series) the V-10 will be an orphan.

Only the F-Series get the 3 valve engines, even in the future product plans that I have seen. (The 6.8L 3 valve V10 will be the only gas engine in F450-750.)

I was told the 6.2L could not pass certain durability tested required for over 10,000 lbs GVW.. I know. Seems pretty stupid to have a new big block engine that you can't use in any medium duty applications !

Anyone know what kind of volume the current E350/450 and F450-750 has ?

Worked at Concept Center California back in 1986 (under contract with Ford) as a clay modeler when we sculpted the first full size clay model for the 1992 Econoline Van. We did it the old fashioned way, no computers, no Taurus mills. That body has been produced as the Econoline van now for 20 years, 1992 - 2012 (except for a facelift a few years back) .

Going to hate to see it go.

• Like 1

... Adding DI to the 6.2 will put its performance right on top of the current V10. Personally I think Ford is just biding their time, until they release the DI version of the 6.2. ...

Cost is VERY important is this "class" of vehicles, which is why Ford plans on using the 2 valve version of the V10.

DI is expensive (electric AND mechanical fuel pumps, more sensors, DI injectors cost more than PFI) and, without turbo, DI does not add much power or save much gas (in the US; can't run lean because of NOx).

You are starting to make me nervous. The Super Duty is pretty much an N.A. only platform, has been around a long time in it's present form.........

Could we be seeing somekind of consolidation of the 250-350, 350-550, and 650-850 truck lines with the Transit and F150 lines? Where those heavy truck lines remain as seperate frames, but share various parts/supply-chain from the lighter more profitable lines.

Also I've been thinking that the constant upward pressure on petrol prices might result in the government creating some desiel relief. Desiel prices influence prices across the entire economy, since everything at one point or another is transported by ship/rail/truck. Don't see an alternative fuel option for larger transportation. So at some point I would think there is going to government action on desiel prices. There will have to be an offset to this government intervention, and the obvious first option is going to be some kind of gasoline tax increase. Now I agree our disfunctional government never does the obvious or logical, but at some point desiel prices are going to need to be addressed to give the general economy a break from the petrol market.

Edited by Kris Kolman

• 2 months later...

Could we be seeing somekind of consolidation of the 250-350, 350-550, and 650-850 truck lines with the Transit and F150 lines? Where those heavy truck lines remain as seperate frames, but share various parts/supply-chain from the lighter more profitable lines.

That is some pretty wild speculation.

I will buy into the fact that Ford needs to do something regarding the overlap between the F150 and F250 but I do not foresee any other big change in the N.A. truck line up for a long time.

I suspect that a big percentage of the F350 sales are still non-commercial customers and I expect that will shrink.

F450-750 sale have never "set the world on fire", but there is nothing from overseas that could replace them without major redesign work. I think Ford is betting that CNG will become a major player in this market and as of right now, that is a safe bet and Ford is well positioned.

I suspect that a big percentage of the F350 sales are still non-commercial customers and I expect that will shrink.

Not in southern Ontario Canada. Except for the few private heavy-towers, just about every SD is farm or commercial.

Like, how many dudes need to cart around their anvil collection?

So an F-150 payload and towing does for the private owner. :)

I live in South-Da-truckin'-kota, and I can count on one hand the number of brand new F350s I've seen in front of people's houses. Shoot, you barely see them on FARMS.

That is kind of my point !

The F350 is too big for non-commercial (i.e. private), unless you are hauling horses, race cars or a big a$$ 5th wheel.

It's too small for most commercial/farm owners. Stake beds and small dumps are more likely to be built on a F450/550.

Ranchers/farmers are likely to have a F150/250 for light stuff (including Moma getting groceries) and something mush bigger.

Edited by theoldwizard

It's too small for most commercial/farm owners. Stake beds and small dumps are more likely to be built on a F450/550.

Ranchers/farmers are likely to have a F150/250 for light stuff (including Moma getting groceries) and something mush bigger.

What is your basis for saying any of this?

I can't tell you how many farms I've been on, and your description just doesn't match what I've seen.

If it's an older farm family, there's inevitably a late model car that's used for running errands, and if it's a younger family, that's more likely to be an SUV or even (if they're on a paved road) a *minivan*.

There are probably a couple trucks, one of them significantly older than the other, and that one is the one that's likely to be a stake-bed, or the dually.

--

Most of the F350s I see are cab/chassis models with custom work boxes.

Edited by RichardJensen