Farewell Cologne V-6

Interesting article today in "Autoline Detroit."

"The Ford Ranger has reached the end of the line, but it’s not the only thing that’s motoring off into the sunset. Tomorrow, the final Cologne V-6 will be installed into the last of these trucks. The engine has served the company well for nearly five decades! This workhorse has been on active duty in a variety of products ranging from the Mercury Capri and Bobcat, to the Ford Pinto, Mustang II and Aerostar van. It’s been offered in overhead-valve and overhead-cam configurations, and in numerous sizes. Some 25 million have been made! It was built in Germany – that’s where it gets its name from – but during the Explorer craze of the mid ‘90s demand was so high blocks were cast in Ford’s Windsor plant, shipped to Deutschland for machining and assembly, then sent back to America!

Bob Fascetti, Ford’s Director, Global Engine Engineering had this to say about the venerable engine, “When you think of classic Ford engines of the last 50 years, the 289, the 427 and 5.0-liter probably come to mind first. But the Cologne V6 deserves to be right up there with the very best of the best engines we’ve ever built. That engine has done everything we’ve asked it to."

More here:

http://www.autoline.tv/daily/?p=19330#more-19330

Interesting article today in "Autoline Detroit."

"The Ford Ranger has reached the end of the line, but it’s not the only thing that’s motoring off into the sunset. Tomorrow, the final Cologne V-6 will be installed into the last of these trucks. The engine has served the company well for nearly five decades! This workhorse has been on active duty in a variety of products ranging from the Mercury Capri and Bobcat, to the Ford Pinto, Mustang II and Aerostar van. It’s been offered in overhead-valve and overhead-cam configurations, and in numerous sizes. Some 25 million have been made! It was built in Germany – that’s where it gets its name from – but during the Explorer craze of the mid ‘90s demand was so high blocks were cast in Ford’s Windsor plant, shipped to Deutschland for machining and assembly, then sent back to America!

Bob Fascetti, Ford’s Director, Global Engine Engineering had this to say about the venerable engine, “When you think of classic Ford engines of the last 50 years, the 289, the 427 and 5.0-liter probably come to mind first. But the Cologne V6 deserves to be right up there with the very best of the best engines we’ve ever built. That engine has done everything we’ve asked it to."

More here:

http://www.autoline.tv/daily/?p=19330#more-19330

I owned three Cologne V6's over the years....1971 Mercury Capri 2.8L V6, 1975 Mercury Capri 2.8L V6, and 1985 Bronco ll 2.8L V6. Had no issues with any of them, and put 225,000 miles on the Bronco ll before selling it. Both Capris had 4 speed manuals and Bronco ll had three speed auto and an overdrive gear (4th) to use above 45mph if not towing anything. Both Capris were peppy, fun, sporty coupes for that era, and Bronco ll was a slug and underpowered, but good in snow and very fair tower. I don't think I ever even got 20mpg highway, but then gas was under $1/gallon back then or not much higher.

While relatively unsophisticated, it was a good, reliable engine. I put over 200,000+ miles on a few Cologne V-6's.

Interesting to note that an earlier version of this engine design was a V-4. That engine was for the european Ford Taunus and also ended up in a few Saab models back in the late 1960's.

• Like 2

I think this is the only Ford engine sold in the last 3 decades that I didn't own a copy of. Can't say I will miss it.

Can't miss something you never owned. I also owned a 5.0L Ford V8 in my Mustang of 80's fame, and while a blast to drive and great V8 burble sound, the engine ran out of breath above 3,000 RPM even with high performance headers and big Holley 4 barrel mods. Below 3,000 RPM it pulled like crazy and had long legs though. Then came the dual overhead cam 4.6L V8 that loved to rev like hell, but in low RPM's was kind of a slug unlike my 5.0 pushrod V8. Now with Ford's modern V8, we have an engine that has low RPM grunt, and doesn't run out of breath so quickly in higher RPM ranges. So I would say I don't miss the engines of yore even when I owned them.

When Mulally arrived, the 4.0 Cologne V6 was one of eight six cylinder engine families Ford was making at the same time.

Fourteen years ago, the Falcon 4.0 I-6 and Cologne V6 had similar power and torque. the difference is that FoA continued

to develop the I-6 while the Cologne V6 stagnated, D35 and D37 have everything the Cologne needed to be a better V6.

Ford Australia's I-6 is now the longest continuing engine in the Ford empire, some day it will be retired, but not today.:)

Edited by jpd80

......Ford Australia's I-6 is now the longest continuing engine in the Ford empire, some day it will be retired, but not today.:)

Never had the chance to drive the Aussie I6, which is too bad (for me). Any inline 6 cylinder is inherently better balanced (hence smoother) than a V6. One bad thing about the move to universal FWD is that packaging has just about done away with I6 engines. Just can't fit them in the engine bay.

Edited by mackinaw

Never had the chance to drive the Aussie I6, which is too bad (for me). Any inline 6 cylinder is inherently better balanced (hence smoother) than a V6. One bad thing about the move to universal FWD is that packaging has just about done away with I6 engines. Just can't fit them in the engine bay.

Think about it a different way, like Transit RWD and Transit FWd:

The Falcon's engine bay is copious and because the I-6 is so long,

there's plenty of room forward of the front axle for a transverse engine.

That way the north-South I-6 could be kept along with V8 while other

markets could use transversely mounted EB I-4 and V6 engines.

That was the hallmark of GRWD and combining Falcon and Taurus...

Note the dog leg on the radiator support panel, it kicks forward another

five inches to make clearance for the I-6, without it, a V6 falcon would be

the same length as a Fusion....

DSCF2807.jpg?t=1272003177

Edited by jpd80

While relatively unsophisticated, it was a good, reliable engine. I put over 200,000+ miles on a few Cologne V-6's.

Interesting to note that an earlier version of this engine design was a V-4. That engine was for the european Ford Taunus and also ended up in a few Saab models back in the late 1960's.

And I would bet there are a few welding machines, air compressors etc. that are still earning a living with their Ford V-4's!

• Like 1

Think about it a different way, like Transit RWD and Transit FWd:

The Falcon's engine bay is copious and because the I-6 is so long,

there's plenty of room forward of the front axle for a transverse engine.

That way the north-South I-6 could be kept along with V8 while other

markets could use transversely mounted EB I-4 and V6 engines.

That was the hallmark of GRWD and combining Falcon and Taurus...

Note the dog leg on the radiator support panel, it kicks forward another

five inches to make clearance for the I-6, without it, a V6 falcon would be

the same length as a Fusion....

Wouldn't that technically make it no longer GRWD if other markets got a transverse FWD version?

Edited by papilgee4evaeva