2013 Lincoln MKZ Concept Debuts!

Some nice pics there! And I totally agree. If there is one aspect I dislike, it's that same section. Too bulky and odd looking. Otherwise, this car is a stunna! Still wonder how much they will change it between the concept and production, and where they will locate the exterior door handles.

The production MKZ will also sit 5, not 4 like the concept car. There is also talk of 8 speed auto for MKZ. Not sure if it would be ready at launch, but soon after at any rate. I would expect the production MKZ to almost identical to concept, and door handles to be same placement as Fusion.

Wow, I didn't realize the belt line was so high on the new MkZ. It makes the current generation look tame. I wonder how that will be received and how it will effect sight lines. There's been lots of complaints on this board about high belt lines as of late. Heck, Chrysler even lowered theirs on the new LX's to combat the gunslit complaints.

Mind you, I think it's slick. That view above has a certain CLS feel to it.

The glass roof will probably combat the gunslit effect for Lincolns...

2. Rwds shouldn't suffer at all, hell 1950-70s big cars had bigger wheelbases but big room too, without the use of CAD.

MB E-Class

97cu. ft. passenger volume

113.2" WB

Lincoln MKS

105 cu. ft. passenger volume

112.9" WB

Any questions?

3. Ford will be upsizing too, I said Ford/ GM/ Chrysler like the new Cafe, I bet the current Fusion looks like a compact compared to the 13'.

Um, no.

2013 is 19lbs lighter, .9" longer, .7" wider, with a 4.8" longer wheelbase. Thanks to that longer wheelbase, it has an additional 2 cubic feet of passenger space.

MB E-Class

97cu. ft. passenger volume

113.2" WB

Lincoln MKS

105 cu. ft. passenger volume

112.9" WB

Any questions?

Sure, why compare a midsized Benz with a fullsize Lincoln?(Benz S class 125 cu ft, 124 in wheelb. and the S is 1 in longer then the MKS)

Um, no.

2013 is 19lbs lighter, .9" longer, .7" wider, with a 4.8" longer wheelbase. Thanks to that longer wheelbase, it has an additional 2 cubic feet of passenger space.

Ok the wheelbase size goes up, not so much the entire car.

I said that RWD cars are impacted because the CAFE footprint calculation is based on WHEELBASE x TRACK.

You said RWD cars would be fine and mentioned large cars from the 50s.

I pointed out that RWD cars generally need a longer wheelbase to provide similar passenger volume.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

RWD generally requires a LARGER CAFE footprint to provide the SAME volume.

--

Also, that S-Class figure includes the trunk. Passenger volume is 109cu. ft.

Edited by RichardJensen

2 - wheelbase, not overall length is the determiner of footprint, which is not good for RWD vehicles, as those vehicles tend to have a lower ratio of interior volume to wheelbase

Maybe I've got this mixed up somehow: If as you say, given two cars with the same interior volume, the RWD vehicle would require a longer wheelbase than the FWD vehicle, it sounds like the RWD vehicle would be held to a looser CAFE standard than the FWD vehicle. How is that bad for RWD vehicles?

Sorry.....forgot about the hybrid. A new engine and transmission will be coming but they are quite a ways out.

TY/yeahBut

the Fusion is going to get a 2.0 Atkinson + lithium Hybrid

and Plug-In

the same as the C-Max & C-M Energi

so the MKZ has a different system coming??? & not at intro?

if that's correct, any clues?

Maybe I've got this mixed up somehow: If as you say, given two cars with the same interior volume, the RWD vehicle would require a longer wheelbase than the FWD vehicle, it sounds like the RWD vehicle would be held to a looser CAFE standard than the FWD vehicle. How is that bad for RWD vehicles?

You know what? You're right. These new regs penalize the effective use of space. The more space you waste, the better off you are.

Scott Tobin, the car's vehicle line director said the plan calls for optional engines with unique displacements.

While the Fusion will be sold with a choice of three gasoline engines, a hybrid and a plug-in hybrid, the MKZ will only have gasoline and a single hybrid option.

But if there is demand for a Lincoln plug-in, Ford engineers can deliver it, Tobin said.

The MKZ is also expected to have an eight-speed automatic transmission, adjustable damping of the suspension and a host of other new technologies.

The MKZ could share some four-cylinder EcoBoost engines with the Fusion, but they can be calibrated to change everything from noise control to suspension systems and electronic throttle control, said Scott Tobin

Farley would not say whether Ford will continue to offer an MKZ hybrid for the same price as the gasoline version, as was the case in the outgoing version, but he did say the current practice is successful.

From Alissa Priddle article in USA Today

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/01/fords-2013-lincoln-mkz-will-have-hybrid-option/1

Edited by MKII

You know what? You're right. These new regs penalize the effective use of space. The more space you waste, the better off you are.

I don't know if I'd call it wasted space, it's just where the axles are located. In a FWD car, you're pretty limited on where you can hang the front axle. On a RWD car, you can push that axle as far forward as you want. If two cars are the same size, the RWD one will have a longer wheelbase. It's not an apples to apples comparison.

Edited by atvman

I'm hoping to see a 2.7 V6 Nano with Gen 2 EcoBoost and an 8-speed Auto.

The Nano sounds like it could be a great engine. I'm hearing that it's super compact for a V6, which means it will fit in a smaller space and weigh less than a Duratec. I'm thinking it would be a good fit in the MKZ and Fusion. I want to hear the official details.

What is the feasibility of Ford offering a performance hybrid as the range topping powertrain in the MKZ instead of shoehorning the Ecoboost 35 in this package.

Say the Ecoboost 20 paired with the 106hp Fusion hybrid system, and mated to an 8-speed automatic when available.

• Like 1

What is the feasibility of Ford offering a performance hybrid as the range topping powertrain in the MKZ instead of shoehorning the Ecoboost 35 in this package.

Say the Ecoboost 20 paired with the 106hp Fusion hybrid system, and mated to an 8-speed automatic when available.

The MKZ is going to have to do something wild like that to justify the car over the Fusion.

'

Because if that concept is anywhere close to representing what the next MKZ will look like, then it's already losing the styling battle with the Fusion.

• Like 2

Ford can't win, they deliberately style MKZ completely different to Fusion and certain groups pan it, I wonder whether

the voices of genuine MKZ buyers are being drowning out by the opinions of internet bloggers who aren't serious buyers ....

I can see Fusion being a huge success, I can see global Mondeo being well received and prospering.

Equally, I can see this MKZ being more successful than the current version and since CD4 redesign

was intended to make provisioning for a V6, then there is every likelihood that Lincoln will lead Ford in

delivering unique versions of the Lincolnized Fusion, that is a given.

Does this mean an AWD V6?

Possibly but no Idea of what size it will be but IMO, a 3.7 V6 AWD Hybrid pack would give near Ecoboost V6

performance with astounding fuel economy, perhaps something like that points to the unique direction needed?

Edited by jpd80

The MKZ is going to have to do something wild like that to justify the car over the Fusion.

'

Because if that concept is anywhere close to representing what the next MKZ will look like, then it's already losing the styling battle with the Fusion.

The MKZ is far more stylized than the Fusion(which looks best is entirely subjective, however.)

I think it looks fantastic save for the c-pillar, beltline, and decklid interaction which will hopefully be fixed in time for production. Despite it all, you aren't able to discern that they're both sharing the same platform as every panel is unique. Even the greenhouses on both cars are vastly different. Ford did an excellent job of distinguishing the two

Anyway, the MKZ is justified with an uprated interior and more potent powertrain even if all else is congruent.

I think a hybrid performance powertrain is doable since they have the parts bin to pull it off.