The MKZ Concept Will Not Save Lincoln

Almost none of Lincoln's arguments were about product. They were about image.

How are their arguments not about product? 100% unique sheet metal, brand exclusive features, upgraded dealership experiences.

Image always goes hand in hand with buying anything luxury level. Even if the buyer isn't concerned with image it is there.

I think they are trying to remind the press that Lincoln is a luxury brand, not a tarted up Ford. Hence the mamosa station. They aren't just that brand with the black car anymore.

Ignore the article, but check out the photo gallery.

That being said, I don't think the MKZ will do anything that Lincoln hasn't already been doing so I'm not sure how substantially things will change in the short-term. Lincoln's major problem is image more than product, there is no reason the constant chorus of anti-Lincoln hatred should exist for the reason it does (shared platforms). I think it's just the stink of perceived failure that people glom onto and exploit mercilessly. I think anybody who follows this industry closely will recognize the truth and not the hype.

Lincoln is fairly light on the lower-end of the spectrum, they just need product in the space that commands the biggest volume. MKZ and MKG are the most critical to bring onboard. Once they do, they are in good shape and tunes will change. Lincoln is poised to reep the halo benefits of 'growth', just like the blue oval did.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

Ignore the article, but check out the photo gallery.

That being said, I don't think the MKZ will do anything that Lincoln hasn't already been doing so I'm not sure how substantially things will change in the short-term. Lincoln's major problem is image more than product, there is no reason the constant chorus of anti-Lincoln hatred should exist for the reason it does (shared platforms). I think it's just the stink of perceived failure that people glom onto and exploit mercilessly. I think anybody who follows this industry closely will recognize the truth and not the hype.

Lincoln is fairly light on the lower-end of the spectrum, they just need product in the space that commands the biggest volume. MKZ and MKG are the most critical to bring onboard. Once they do, they are in good shape and tunes will change. Lincoln is poised to reep the halo benefits of 'growth', just like the blue oval did.

That's the point......Lincoln needs a real strong entry level car and the new MKZ appears to be that car. For that matter, the present MKZ sells decent, but 4,000+/month would be nice. Second, Lincoln needs a real strong entry level small sized CUV like the Evoque which is coming also, but later than the 2013 MKZ. With those two selling strong, Lincoln could easily be in 150,000/year range in no time. Then they could start concentrating on some of the higher dollar, lover volume models to give it some more panache. Assuming the economy doesn't crater again, I don't think it will a huge obstacle for Lincoln to be at least relevant again and keep the remaining Lincoln dealers somewhat busy.

I think it's just the stink of perceived failure that people glom onto and exploit mercilessly. I think anybody who follows this industry closely will recognize the truth and not the hype.

It's certainly true that Lincoln hasn't had a "Gotta Have" product. They haven't really had anything substantial for many years....just products that get them by.

Perspectives are hard to change, unless you hit some triples and home runs.

I was just posting the other day how Jalopnik uses posts like this to get readers foaming at the mouth and cause controversy for "clicks sake".

You've figured out their strategy.

http://jalopnik.com/5874742/the-mkz-concept-will-not-save-lincoln

Nice to see that people are still hung up that Lincolns come from Fords :rolleyes: and yet ignore that just about every other car in this segment shares its platform with a lesser mid-sized car...

Based on the author's opinion, what is the point to buy a Lexus while there is a cheap Toyota over there.

The author is 100% correct though...this one single car will not save Lincoln. That notion is just laughable. Lincoln is far more broken than just one vehicle.

Lincoln needs a balanced portfolio. They don't have the volume to have one vehicle save them.

The author is not 100% right on a single thing he says, least of all this notion. Lincoln will be saved by hundreds of actions they are making now, one of which is this concept.

The author is not 100% right on a single thing he says, least of all this notion. Lincoln will be saved by hundreds of actions they are making now, one of which is this concept.

Exactly. But the MKZ will not save Lincoln. His assertion is correct...his supporting facts are not. The MKZ will not save Lincoln because of it's relation to the Fusion...that's just silly. The MKZ will not save Lincoln because the MKZ was only a very small part of Lincoln's problems.

• Like 4

The author is 100% correct though...this one single car will not save Lincoln. That notion is just laughable. Lincoln is far more broken than just one vehicle.

Lincoln needs a balanced portfolio. They don't have the volume to have one vehicle save them.

What?! You mean they'll have to update all the other models as well?! You could knock me over with a feather! :drop: I hope FoMoCo know about this!

The thing that really annoys me is the short sightedness of the nearly all the journo's when it comes to Lincoln bashing articles - they have no concept that Lincoln can't just magically make all-new cars over night and also with out relying on related Ford products - there just isn't enough money / justification to make completely unique cars!