Ford's New Ad Slogan: Go Further

From Reuters:

"A history of Ford Motor Co (F.N) could be told with the succession of slogans it has used over the decades - some remembered within the company as rallying cries, some more as punch lines.

Now, six years into a comeback from near collapse, the automaker has a new slogan that underscores confidence that its recovery is almost complete: "Go Further."

For an automaker with 166,000 workers worldwide and a history of riding boom into bust, the slogan is intended in part as a warning against complacency after three years of profits, executives say.

"Go Further" will be used in marketing campaigns, replacing "Drive One" in North America and "Feel the Difference" in Europe. Those slogans were coined to help overcome wariness on the part of consumers about the quality and performance of Ford cars as the car maker bounced back.

"We are at a different point now in our company's history," Jim Farley, global head of sales and marketing, told Reuters."

Full article here:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/25/us-ford-slogan-idUSTRE80O02O20120125

Ah. That would explain the >16 gallon tank in the new AWD Fusion.

I like this slogan, but don't love it. The farther/further thing is the issue. I'm not a big fan of the phonaesthetics of those words. Odd consonant cluster in the middle of them, etc.

Although it's a right crackin' good bit of Anglo-Saxon. "Go Further" would've probably been intelligible 1300 years ago, which is saying something.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

Ah. That would explain the >16 gallon tank in the new AWD Fusion.

I like this slogan, but don't love it. The farther/further thing is the issue. I'm not a big fan of the phonaesthetics of those words. Odd consonant cluster in the middle of them, etc.

Although it's a right crackin' good bit of Anglo-Saxon. "Go Further" would've probably been intelligible 1300 years ago, which is saying something.

You're just serving me up meatballs, now, huh? :shades:

But I like "further." Since they've (whoever "they" are) made "further" the variant that describes metaphorical depth or distance (cf. further discussion) instead of physical distance, it could be taken to mean that Ford's mission is to continue to improve both their own fortunes and the well-being of their customers.

• Like 1

You're just serving me up meatballs, now, huh? :shades:

But I like "further." Since they've (whoever "they" are) made "further" the variant that describes metaphorical depth or distance (cf. further discussion) instead of physical distance, it could be taken to mean that Ford's mission is to continue to improve both their own fortunes and the well-being of their customers.

I saw that you'd replied and thought pretty much the same thing....

The problem I've got with further/farther is that neither seems right if I'm trying to choose my words carefully. It's one of those words that, on close examination, always seems wrong to me. Sort of like when you spell absorption: "Gaah. Shouldn't there be a 'b' in there? Why doesn't that look right? What's going on?"

But that might just be my insecurities talking.

I saw that you'd replied and thought pretty much the same thing....

The problem I've got with further/farther is that neither seems right if I'm trying to choose my words carefully. It's one of those words that, on close examination, always seems wrong to me. Sort of like when you spell absorption: "Gaah. Shouldn't there be a 'b' in there? Why doesn't that look right? What's going on?"

But that might just be my insecurities talking.

I have a classmate like you who always seems to have some sort of linguistic questioning, whether it be morphological, phonological, syntactic, or anything else under the umbrella.

You're right, though... it is a weird one. They say that farther was a variant of further (from Middle English furth) from early on. My guess is that farther analogized with further for two reasons: semantic similarity ("far" and "forth" aren't exactly the same, but they both related to distance in some way), and morphophonological epenthesis. The latter because, well, comparative forms of adjectives that end in [ɹ] aren't very common, so they wanted to better demarcate the comparative morpheme from the root.

As a freebie at 6 AM, "absorption" is derived from the Latin strong perfect passive participle absorptus from the verb absorbere. The [ b ] that you're looking for always devoiced in Latin before voiceless consonants. Oh, and if the lack of "b" throws you off in "absorption," Spanish and Portuguese dropped it completely: absorción, absorção.

I sure am glad I studied Engineering...I only had to sit through one boring-as-hell English class in college.

Got that right. Philosophy was my second worst class. Second day of class I gave an answer that the professor said was incorrect and after 20 other people tried to answer it over the next 30 minutes he told us the answer he was looking for and it was the same damn answer I gave him 30 minutes before that.

I'll take math and computer science where 10 + 10 always equals 100.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

Got that right. Philosophy was my second worst class. Second day of class I gave an answer that the professor said was incorrect and after 20 other people tried to answer it over the next 30 minutes he told us the answer he was looking for and it was the same damn answer I gave him 30 minutes before that.

I'll take math and computer science where 10 + 10 always equals 100.

My favorite non-math/science class was psychology. The only reason was because I liked the professor, and he was the exact opposite of your example. See, in his class, there really was no "wrong" answer. It was all in your interpretation. They knew 99% of the people going to that school were engineering majors, so why bother trying to teach them anything that wasn't math or science?

Have you ever tried to teach bit-masking to a programmer that really doesn't understand binary? Wow, talk about :banghead:!

Edited by fordmantpw

O...a better idea...lets all have a fight over if its called pop or soda!

:happy feet:

It's pop!!!!!

Funny...had an argument about that in college too. My worthless roommate from KC, MO called it pop. Us unsophisticated hillbillies call it soda...cause that's what it is!

This was the same dude that swore his Plymouth Voyager could beat my parents' SHO in a race. "That 0.1 L bigger engine isn't enough to make that much difference." My response: "No, but the extra 80 HP is. Not to mention, even if you were to win, you'd still be driving a Plymouth!"

He only lasted one semester as my roommate. :hysterical: