JD Power 2012: Fusion best midsize, Lincoln and Ford 7th, 8th

j-d-power-and-associates-2012-u-s-vehicle-dependability-study_100382142_l.jpg

The results of J.D. Power and Associates' 2012 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study have just been released, and there's plenty of good news for auto fans.

Power's Dependability Study looks at problems associated with vehicles that are three model-years old (so the 2012 study examined rides from the 2009 model year). Power representatives interview original owners of those vehicles to find out how many problems they've experienced over the past 12 months. For the 2012 study, J.D. Power spoke to over 31,000 vehicle owners between October and December of 2011.

To assign rankings, J.D. Power calculates the number of problems reported per hundred vehicles, or PP 100. When all the data had been crunched for 2012, the news was good for most car companies: of the 32 brands included in the 2012 Dependability Study, a whopping 25 improved on their scores from 2011, with only six losing ground and one remaining flat.

As far as specific models go, the Lexus LS had the fewest reported problems of any vehicle on the road, with 72 PP 100. Other vehicles of note include:

* Toyota Yaris (best subcompact car)

* Toyota Prius (best compact car)

* Ford Fusion (best midsize car)

* Buick Lucerne (best large car)

LINK - The Car Connection

I should clarify, this is the 2012 JD Power Dependability survey, not Initial Quality, which is where Buick had seen much of its success lately.

I agree on Chrysler: Ouch, though this is a survey of 2009 model year vehicles (after 3 years of service) so the FIAsco products are absent here.

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Looking at how low GMC falls on the list compared to Chevrolet (seemingly buoyed by their cars not shared with GMC), I'd call into question their Super Bowl ad about dependability. If Terrain/Acadia/Yukon/Canyon/Sierra average 158 problems per 100 vehicles after 3 years, one could easily surmise the mechanically identical Equinox/Terrain/Tahoe/Suburban/Colorado/Silverado woud fare similarly.

Looking at how low GMC falls on the list compared to Chevrolet (seemingly buoyed by their cars not shared with GMC), I'd call into question their Super Bowl ad about dependability. If Terrain/Acadia/Yukon/Canyon/Sierra average 158 problems per 100 vehicles after 3 years, one could easily surmise the mechanically identical Equinox/Terrain/Tahoe/Suburban/Colorado/Silverado woud fare similarly.

I'm sure the F150 would also be lower on the list. Trucks in general are usually worse than cars and crossovers.

Has Buick been slipping? I'm happy to see Ford and Lincoln moving up the chart. Especially the Fusion.

Is there any data on the Focus vs. the competition in that class? I just hope Ford can hold onto that Fusion reliability with the new model.

Good point 92. I'm wondering if the new Fusion's reliability will match the outgoing model? I thought I heard the Modeo wasn't particularly great?

• Like 2

I should clarify, this is the 2012 JD Power Dependability survey, not Initial Quality...

...though this is a survey of 2009 model year vehicles (after 3 years of service) so the FIAsco products are absent here.

I'd love to know where the 2009 Mercurys score!

:shades:

Good point 92. I'm wondering if the new Fusion's reliability will match the outgoing model? I thought I heard the Modeo wasn't particularly great?

The CD3 cars have had outstanding reliability from 2006 to today. I would think Ford would do everything in their power to ensure that the new models meet or exceed the current models. If the Fusion goes backwards in quality and reliability it could damage a highly respected nameplate. It's always more of a risk to redesign a highly reliable design then to redesign a car with a lot of issues. The new model launch really needs to be flawless and I hope they learned lessons from the 2012 Focus launch so they don't repeat the same mistakes.

• Like 1

Does Consumer Reports still report the number of defects in the cars they test? I remember they used to say, "Our Ford Pinto had 34 defects." I don't think I've noticed that in recent reports.

Oh, sample defects (as opposed to design). You are correct. Consumer Reports hasn't made mention of those in its automobile reviews for at least a decade.

"Dependability claim based on registration data provided by R.L. Polk & Company" or some such blather.

Basically, a lot of Chevy trucks are still on the road, ergo "dependable".

The wife's 99 S-10 Blazer is sitting in the garage waiting for me to transplant an engine, since the Dexcool rotted 4.3 puked itself at 110k miles, but it still has valid registration, so it helps count as "the most dependable"? :doh: ( I know it's not a 1/2 ton, but you get my point.)

And by looking at the chart, VW only improved, cause the others behind it, fell so hard...Chrysler, Jaguar, Inifiniti etc...which themselves have never been that low before. So in other words, VW is still crap. Surprised to not see the F150 on the top three though, or even the Escape since it's been practically unchanged for quite awhile.

The CD3 cars have had outstanding reliability from 2006 to today. I would think Ford would do everything in their power to ensure that the new models meet or exceed the current models. If the Fusion goes backwards in quality and reliability it could damage a highly respected nameplate. It's always more of a risk to redesign a highly reliable design then to redesign a car with a lot of issues. The new model launch really needs to be flawless and I hope they learned lessons from the 2012 Focus launch so they don't repeat the same mistakes.

Well it has one good thing going for it in that Hermosillo has been Ford's best performing assembly plant over the years. I've never been a fan of MAP or Wayne Assembly in general, so not surprsed by glitches there. I assume Wayne still has its share of problem workers. Still looks like an unruly high school crowd in there with no dress code or personal hygiene. You can bet the liquor store across Michigan Av. is busy when plant gets paid. Some things never change. Old axiom still applies at Ford's Wayne Assembly and Chrysler's Jefferson plants......don't have your vehicle built day after workers are paid.

• Like 1

even the Escape since it's been practically unchanged for quite awhile.

My sister was having issues with her 2010 Escape...backup camera/alarm not working and I think she might have had a transmission issue too.

Yet my GF's 2010 Escape (XLT vs my sisters Limited) has been bulletproof for the past 68K miles!

My sister was having issues with her 2010 Escape...backup camera/alarm not working and I think she might have had a transmission issue too.

Yet my GF's 2010 Escape (XLT vs my sisters Limited) has been bulletproof for the past 68K miles!

We're approaching 60k in our 2010 XLT V6 FWD and we've had exactly one issue: Last October, the HVAC fan stopped recognizing the #2 and #3 settings (went from #1 to full blast at position #4). A :45 minute trip to the dealer and the fan was replaced at no cost. We still love it just as much as the day we bought it, but with baby #2 coming late this Summer I think we may be looking to trade up in the next 18 months or so.

We're approaching 60k in our 2010 XLT V6 FWD and we've had exactly one issue: Last October, the HVAC fan stopped recognizing the #2 and #3 settings (went from #1 to full blast at position #4). A :45 minute trip to the dealer and the fan was replaced at no cost. We still love it just as much as the day we bought it, but with baby #2 coming late this Summer I think we may be looking to trade up in the next 18 months or so.

Our Escape was completely trouble free for 75k. It worked great for 2 kids (unless you take a LOT of stuff along), but it ain't worth a dam for 3!

Our Escape was completely trouble free for 75k. It worked great for 2 kids (unless you take a LOT of stuff along), but it ain't worth a dam for 3!

Day-to-day it will be fine, but our 7 day jaunts to see the Mouse will be tough with 2. Our trip this May will be our last with only 1 little one (though Peanut will be along for the ride, in utero), so after that I think we could get into a space crunch. I'd be fine with a roof carrier but the wife is pretty sold on a new Explorer (or Aviator, pending styling) so we'll likely go that route after the MCE debuts.

Day-to-day it will be fine, but our 7 day jaunts to see the Mouse will be tough with 2. Our trip this May will be our last with only 1 little one (though Peanut will be along for the ride, in utero), so after that I think we could get into a space crunch. I'd be fine with a roof carrier but the wife is pretty sold on a new Explorer (or Aviator, pending styling) so we'll likely go that route after the MCE debuts.

Hard to argue with a woman that wants a new Ford! hysterical.gif

• Like 1